Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
In the mid=1960s I had a College friend that had left Rhodesia (Now Zimbabwe but I'm not sure). Her family had owned a prosperous farm but due to racial unrest they sold it at a huge loss and left for the USA. When M arrived on campus at the small college we attended she was scared to death of the few Black students on campus. She told stories of life on their farm that were bone chilling. The school bus she rode to the local high school had a bus driver armed with a fully automatic sub machine gun and all White people carried weapons everywhere. According to M there bus was involved in several gun battles over the years. It wasn't just Whites that were at risk but "coloreds" of different tribes also. It was a segregated environment but it wasn't just Whites and coloreds, it was Whites and Coloreds according to tribal and political affiliations.
Yes it is now called Zimbabwe and well, there was a civil war/rebellion against the white minority government and atrocities were committed by both sides. Nowadays though, Zimbabwe is much less violent than neighbouring SA. There's certainly no racial targeted violence except for the period during the farm invasions in the late 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 12:27 PM

155 posts, read 205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
the op did not mention this,but black tourists to SA are not exactly welcolmed with open arms either.

Am i correct in assuming a black American tourist can be a victim of crime in South africa too?
African Americans are more welcomed than Whites..Speaking from experience. Apartheid only ended 11 /12 years ago. There's still distrust. Especially in countries like Namibia where Germans pretty much cleaned out an ethnic group doing horrific experiments to the people there. The world needs to formally apologize to Africa if they haven't already. It's just horrible how they used and abused my people on the motherland. I'm going in a different direction but people act as if all that pain is suppose to just be forgiven over night. Talk about generations upon generations that have been dealt a serious blow and still people treat anyone of African descent like second class. Europeans totally messed up the system that was currently going on in Africa. Getting back on topic, I haven't had any problems when I was in South Africa. Africa period. It's such a different experience from anywhere I've ever been. It feels like home for me. No Racism. I plan to move here and open up a doctors office.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 PM

155 posts, read 205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Not really. Slaves from american didn't go back to Africa for the most part, so they aren't decedents of American slaves. And it shows that whites have nothing to feel guilty about because blacks will show violence against ANY RACE if given the opportunity. They just aren't advance enough to conquer any other races. It has nothing to do with payback. Black on black crime is responsible for more deaths than anything. Lesson over.
I can't make out what you're truly saying..Who isn't advanced to conquer any other race? Slaves did go back to Africa and formed Liberia. Marcus Garvey was trying to send people back to Africa as well as so many other Black people and abolitionist..A lot of people didn't have the resources to go and don't forget it was a crime for a Black person to even read or write. It wasn't by choice that so many millions didn't go back to Africa. I'm really not understanding what it is you're saying though. I just saw the first coupe sentences that I wanted to address on.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 AM

277 posts, read 377,893 times
A few thoughts on this 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
African Americans are more welcomed than Whites..Speaking from experience.
Disagreed here.

Maybe you can help me out with the 1st part that confuses me. Do you rather mean "Blacks are more welcomed than whites"? I don't see how "African American" is comparable to "white".

You're more likely to be seen as an American than as an African.

Quote:
Apartheid only ended 11 /12 years ago
Apartheid ended in 1994. 22 years ago.

Quote:
No Racism.
Firstly this contradicts your 1st statement (quoted above)
Secondly this is not even remotely true.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:07 AM

758 posts, read 1,218,012 times
I suspect that in S.A , Black Americans will be seen as Americans first with some not even considered "black" but "colored",
you also have to take into account xenophobia, there seems to be an issue between South Africans and Africans from other
countries on the continent...I don't know, just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:25 AM

271 posts, read 340,012 times
Here is an honest video about what South Africa is really like. White people are living the life of luxury there in Capetown. So as a white person you would be 100% fine because there is still an apartheid system firmly in place in South Africa.
http://youtu.be/UDGbLJYEy44

Old 08-13-2016, 12:52 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,811,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
Here is an honest video about what South Africa is really like. White people are living the life of luxury there in Capetown. So as a white person you would be 100% fine because there is still an apartheid system firmly in place in South Africa.

Lol he keeps calling the people in the township brothers and even family starting at about 2:50 those people don't view that fool as one of them.(Anyway had to stop watching soon after that this guy clearly has a chip on his shoulder).

Old 08-13-2016, 02:38 PM

277 posts, read 377,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
I disagree with your post completely. I tried watching the video and I got as far as 2:09. Sorry but this video is pathetic so far. If you want me to elaborate further let me know.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,448,203 times
My mom's whole family lives in South Africa and they are white. They live in Stellenbosch and Constantia. They are just fine and I'm actually jealous of the lifestyle that they live down there.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,448,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I suspect that in S.A , Black Americans will be seen as Americans first with some not even considered "black" but "colored",
you also have to take into account xenophobia, there seems to be an issue between South Africans and Africans from other
countries on the continent...I don't know, just my opinion.
No, that's not true. My dad is black and my mom is white and we are from America. My mom's whole family lives in south Africa so we visit them once every two years. I'm called "colored" when I'm there and my dad is labeled as black...but you are correct when you say that Black Americans will be seen as American first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa