Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:07 PM

671 posts, read 853,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowsieboi View Post
I think I understand your point but can't say I fully agree with your Disney-Africa analogy.

Perhaps correct me if I'm wrong but I don't agree with the stereotype of Africa that it tends to portray. By saying that Disney-Africa is where you'll find hotels, restaurants, transport etc - you're essentially saying that "real" Africa is not that? Which is incorrect in my opinion.
Yes. The analogy is very offensive. There are areas where restaurants and transportation exist that are nowhere near any tourist attraction. Africans do use hotels and eat in restaurants....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Yes. The analogy is very offensive. There are areas where restaurants and transportation exist that are nowhere near any tourist attraction. Africans do use hotels and eat in restaurants....

Bear in mind that he is making it simple for a non African who wants to visit Africa. The analogy might be simplistic, but the reality is that what Burkina Faso has on offer is only for the most rugged American. While Lagos is ultra modern for wealthy Nigerians, its a hell hole for casual tourists.

Maybe the term "Disney Africa" was misleading in that it connotes the notion of a fantasy Africa made only for tourists. But then he wasn't addressing how the African elites live, but what a non African tourist might expect. And especially if that tourist is a female. They need to know that not all of Africa falls into the fantasy safari tours that one can find in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, or Kenya. THAT is the image that many who want to visit Africa expect.

And yes it must be said that even travelling between Nigeria and Ghana, two countries very close to each other can be "interesting", especially now that most of the major West African airlines have collapsed. Countries served by South African, Kenyan or Ethiopian are fine, which makes travel in the eastern and southern regions less of a hassle.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,111 times
I just got back from Egypt and would highly recommend it. It definitely feels more Middle Eastern than African but it was a really neat country with the absolutely most welcoming people anywhere!

Old 10-25-2016, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 976 times
Service level inconsistency, skills retention and the need for integrated transport systems are some of the key challenges facing the travel and tourism industry in South Africa (SA).

Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Girl 2000 View Post
I've never been to Africa, but have always wanted to go. Any tips one when to visit and what cities to go to? Any must do's or don't waste your time?
This is really vague. It's like saying "I've always dreamed of watching TV, can someone recommend a few TV shows to watch."

Travel is very dependent on personal interests. What are you interested in? I'm attracted to Ethiopia myself, but that doesn't mean you would be. I also like watching the TV show 'Locked Up', but that doesn't mean that someone who has never watched tv before, doesn't know anything about TV, should just go and watch my show.

In other words, what are your interests beyond 'see Africa?' Or are you implying you have absolutely no idea, never thought about it, have a very basic possibly stereotypical image of the continent, and looking for someone to give an extremely basic, basic, basic simplistic answer?

If the latter, I'd recommend Kenya and South Africa. Go to Kruger Nat'l Park in South Africa, or the Serengeti in Kenya. I'm going to assume your interest in Africa probably lies with seeing African animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa