Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 AM

483 posts, read 409,631 times

Advertisements

Hello,

When traveling to Africa from the U.S. what do you do about food safety? Do people eat local foods or westernized foods? What about bottled drinking water? I would love to go to Africa some day. If you have gone, please share your experience with this. Please and Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hello,

When traveling to Africa from the U.S. what do you do about food safety? Do people eat local foods or westernized foods? What about bottled drinking water? I would love to go to Africa some day. If you have gone, please share your experience with this. Please and Thanks in advance!
There are 50+ countries in Africa.

Op I would suggest you specify which one's you want to know about.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post

Exactly. My goodness.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Just so you know, I'm well aware that there are many African countries. not really sure what country. Maybe some place in Ghana.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Exactly. My goodness.
Right my goodness...

Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM

277 posts, read 381,154 times
Quote:
Just so you know, I'm well aware that there are many African countries. not really sure what country. Maybe some place in Ghana.
That's probably a better starting point than saying "Africa"

Old 08-22-2016, 04:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Hello,

Agree what other saying. Saying "what's it like in Africa" is only slightly more defined than saying "what's it like on planet earth". Slightly...
Travelers like you would probably stay at a westernized hotel and go on westernized tour groups. In those cases you will drink bottled, canned and bottled soda or beer, or treated water and eat safe food. Westernized hotels will usually have there own treated tap water filters and the hotel resteraunts will usually be safe. Other travelers going off the beaten path will simply drink bottled water and eat well-cooked meats and pealable fruit and packaged foods - generally the same guards you take in any developing countries as you would find in Asia and South America (based on your question, I don't see you ever doing that). But again - when you say Africa - some countries like South Africa and Egypt, and even some regional areas in Ghana, have well developed logistics where you can pop into a mall and eat at a resteraunt somewhat similar to a suburban mall in the US, some don't.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:18 AM

82 posts, read 63,010 times
Quote:

This.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 AM

I worked in the world's poorest country, Malawi, for 6 months (for a gender empowerment NGO). I really loved my stay there. It's a beautiful little country. Regarding food and water - I always bought bottled water. I had some European colleagues who said that they had drank the tap water and it was fine, but even in America, I and my family always drink bottled water. Regarding the food - a lot of countries in Africa are heavily westernized. Malawi is no exception. Going to restaurants or fast food joints in Malawi wasn't all that different to the kind of food you get in the western world.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 AM

Oh and I should add - the water routinely gets cut off in Malawi. This is a much smaller problem in industrial or wealthy areas. It's sad, because the poorest areas contain the most people, but they are the ones who suffer the most. Some "ghettos" go 2 months without running water. In the towns, there's a water system. In villages they use wells for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa