Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 06:31 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Stop stereotyping people. Are there self hating Dominicans? Yes. But many Dominicans are proud to be Black and are coming forward and saying so.

I am not stereotyping nor judging. There was a whole campaign in the DR to have people classify themselves as "Indio" in order to separate themselves from blackness. To many Dominicans, "black" means "Haitian", and they don't like that. There is a deep history to explain why that mentality exists today. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I am not stereotyping nor judging. There was a whole campaign in the DR to have people classify themselves as "Indio" in order to separate themselves from blackness. To many Dominicans, "black" means "Haitian", and they don't like that. There is a deep history to explain why that mentality exists today. It is what it is.
Yet your very post suggests ALL Dominicans feel that way, and it ignores the fact that wherever you have people of color there are those that reject the African side of their heritage. This has to do with the oppression of Black people and colonialism. One will find West Indians who deny being descended from African slaves or Africans at all. You do have African Americans who think like this as well.

So why try to claim it is a Dominican think? The other side of the story is African cultural influences run deep in the Dominican Republic in terms of food, music, language, and religion. Go to the museums there and they mention how their ancestors were brought over to grow sugar cane to make rum.

This is a huge problem among the descendants of enslaved/persecuted people everywhere.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Our identity was stolen and hidden from us, and oral history is not always accurate. You hear your whole life, "We are part Native American," and it is assumed that we all have a white person in our family. So far, I haven't found any white ancestors (and I'm not looking for them ), although I did find a black ancestor with assets shortly after slavery, so I'm wondering if that person was the child of an owner. There were many different groups sold into slavery. They weren't just who we know as "African-Americans" today. Blacks are made to feel like trash because of slavery, but the colonizers knew EXACTLY who they were taking out of Africa to build their new world. And those people weren't uneducated and unskilled. By a long shot.
You can find out more about your family via genetic testing, including the regions of origin that show up in your DNA test.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 PM

Are you Dominican, by any chance? I don't have anything against Dominicans. I'm sorry I didn't use a qualifier before posting my comment, but this is a pretty pervasive attitude among Dominicans. It's pretty hard to deny. I am interested in the diaspora and have read about and experienced different cultures. Like I said, there was an entire campaign by Trujillo to basically whitewash the DR. I am not speaking out of ignorance.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
There is little to know mention of West Africa or for that matter anything to do in Africa in k-12 education. So African Americans claiming all those identities wouldn't know much about Africa as a whole.

But then again, the "African American" identity is a creation of white America. There are very few 100% Africans among African Americans. Most of us do have a variety of ethnic groups in our family trees, and this is born out via genetic testing.

As to how people identity with the various aspects of their ancestry, and how they interact with it, that is entirely up to the individual.

Many African Americans do have some Jewish ancestry (via slavery) and further back during the empire of Mali there were Jewish people there. So for Africans or those of African descent who chose to identify with that side of their ancestry, they have every right to.

Also you really shouldn't comment on African Americans or other groups if you only have at best superficial or outsider knowledge.

I disagree a random AA person can claim to be Amazihe, or an Ibo but they'll never be accepted as one.

You must not be familiar with the Hebrew Israelites they have no connect to Jewish populations but spend all their time hating real Jews and claiming to be the real Hebrews. I think those fools yelling on the street corners are straight out of the pen losers.

Being a member of those ethnic groups isn't a requirement to posting. You know that.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:16 PM

Most of us don't need or want to be accepted by Africans. We bought your ticket into this country. The blacks who desire a connection to Africa don't know history very well. Even when we were on the continent...we were not you.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

I disagree a random AA person can claim to be Amazihe, or an Ibo but they'll never be accepted as one.

You must not be familiar with the Hebrew Israelites they have no connect to Jewish populations but spend all their time hating real Jews and claiming to be the real Hebrews. I think those fools yelling on the street corners are straight out of the pen losers.

Being a member of those ethnic groups isn't a requirement to posting. You know that.
You cannot speak for Igbos, as you are not an Igbo and you don't know what their interactions with African Americans are.

You can only post on your biases.

3,000 to 5,000 African Americans have moved to Ghana under Ghana's right to return laws for those of African descent to gain citizenship. So the government in Ghana accepts them very well, in part because of the money they bring in.

I myself am getting Spanish citizenship, and there are three other countries I am eligible for citizenship (Portugal, Israel, Ghana).

The Hebrew Israelities are born out of NYC's problems, and is a NYC think based on the extreme segregation in NYC, plus the lack of actual education in terms of history and the humanities in the NYC public school system. The fact you would attack these people like this, whose lack of education is not there fault and is due to the systematic racism in NYC says a lot.

Yes you do need to have substantial knowledge of a group before you comment. It's ridiculously annoying and downright offensive for every white person who act as if they have a PhD on every cultural group in the world when they often have no knowledge about these groups or what they are talking about.

You have absolutely no knowledge of African American genealogy for starters, or the genealogy of an individual African American (one has to be tested for that). You have no knowledge how African Americans interact with the various groups in their genealogies. Some do go to the multiple countries of ethnic origin (on multiple continents) and that is their/our right if we chose to do so.

No one needs or requires your approval.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Most of us don't need or want to be accepted by Africans. We bought your ticket into this country. The blacks who desire a connection to Africa don't know history very well. Even when we were on the continent...we were not you.
Stop making assumptions for other people. There's a world outside of the US, and another country is just a plain ride away. Many Americans like working overseas and many Black Americans who have actually visited and worked in various African nations LOVE it.

Generally people outside the US have a positive image of Americans (in part because many of them desire the American dream). Generally people will be nice to you because of that.

There are people who also invest overseas or do business overseas.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM

You can fee how you want, NYWriterdude. I am not a pan-Africanist, and I happen to think anyone with a good understanding of the slave trade...would also be hesitant to accept that ideology. I believe in the "salad bowl" concept of America. We should all be able to retain our cultural identities without the threat of annihilation or the pressure to conform. It's possible.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
You cannot speak for Igbos, as you are not an Igbo and you don't know what their interactions with African Americans are.

You can only post on your biases.

3,000 to 5,000 African Americans have moved to Ghana under Ghana's right to return laws for those of African descent to gain citizenship. So the government in Ghana accepts them very well, in part because of the money they bring in.

I myself am getting Spanish citizenship, and there are three other countries I am eligible for citizenship (Portugal, Israel, Ghana).

The Hebrew Israelities are born out of NYC's problems, and is a NYC think based on the extreme segregation in NYC, plus the lack of actual education in terms of history and the humanities in the NYC public school system. The fact you would attack these people like this, whose lack of education is not there fault and is due to the systematic racism in NYC says a lot.

Yes you do need to have substantial knowledge of a group before you comment. It's ridiculously annoying and downright offensive for every white person who act as if they have a PhD on every cultural group in the world when they often have no knowledge about these groups or what they are talking about.

You have absolutely no knowledge of African American genealogy for starters, or the genealogy of an individual African American (one has to be tested for that). You have no knowledge how African Americans interact with the various groups in their genealogies. Some do go to the multiple countries of ethnic origin (on multiple continents) and that is their/our right if we chose to do so.

No one needs or requires your approval.
As you do in the Europe forum about Spain you're not a Spaniard. Get over yourself you're not that interesting. Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa