Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times

Advertisements

Look up background on this guy and Egypt. Him and his wife are very educated and they both have very good day jobs. He
also does tours to Egypt and has been there a number of times. His idea is that he wants to people in Harlem to convert
to the Ancient Egyptian religion and is looking for converts. He has made his house a temple.

He has had a long-term interest in Ancient Egyptian religion and thinks that some of the moral principles of it can be applied
to cure of the dysfunction and social ills in the ghetto and that Blacks in the Diaspora need this for self-esteem reasons.

He has rules about wearing certain colors, vegetarian diets etc. things that he thinks will make people more healthy.

In my opinion you are starting another religion that will draw people who are vulnerable and searching for something.

This is the same thing that people do in America some like to experiment with non-Western religions like Buddhism, Hinduism,Vodun. They are culturally Americans who have no cultural or ethnic connection o at all to these religions, but find them different and exotic. The Christian expressions are probably too normal for them.

That answers why Egypt is claimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I like ancient Egypt, it was one of the most sophisticated cultures of its time.

But I don't like it when blacks hijack ancient Egypt. I think they do so because they have low self-esteem and know that a) ancient Egypt is renowned, and b) is located in Africa. So they fabricate some relationship to ancient Egypt in order to boost their own self-esteem. Like when football fans of a winning team feel better, without having achieved anything themselves.

According to recent gene analysis, the ancient Egyptians were different from modern Egyptians. thousands of years ago black Africans played no role in Egypt, ancient Egyptians were very similar to Phoenicians and other peoples of the Middle East. Black Africans only migrated north and mixed with Egyptians during the past 1500 years or so, i.e. long after classic Egyptian culture was gone.

Having said that, I don't mind any people including blacks around the world adopting Ancient Egyptian religion and thought. But people should be aware that there is no old connection. It is just about adopting thoughts from another time and culture, which has happened many times. Christians on the Philippines don't think they got an old connection to the Middle East. They just imported that religion.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM

592 posts, read 589,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I like ancient Egypt, it was one of the most sophisticated cultures of its time.

But I don't like it when blacks hijack ancient Egypt. I think they do so because they have low self-esteem and know that a) ancient Egypt is renowned, and b) is located in Africa. So they fabricate some relationship to ancient Egypt in order to boost their own self-esteem. Like when football fans of a winning team feel better, without having achieved anything themselves.

According to recent gene analysis, the ancient Egyptians were different from modern Egyptians. thousands of years ago black Africans played no role in Egypt, ancient Egyptians were very similar to Phoenicians and other peoples of the Middle East. Black Africans only migrated north and mixed with Egyptians during the past 1500 years or so, i.e. long after classic Egyptian culture was gone.

Having said that, I don't mind any people including blacks around the world adopting Ancient Egyptian religion and thought. But people should be aware that there is no old connection. It is just about adopting thoughts from another time and culture, which has happened many times. Christians on the Philippines don't think they got an old connection to the Middle East. They just imported that religion.
This above is a clear example of the white washing of history. The ancient Egyptians similar to Phoenicians and people from the Middle East? Call me an Afrocentric or what have you but I'm a student of truth and I call bull on this claim, especially since the Ancient Egyptians themselves documented where they come from. Let's be clear, I'm not saying that the ancient were not diverse but evidence would suggest that any mixtures of non-African cultures would have come later. It's hilarious that a thread like this is targeting black Americans but it seems Europeans and white Americans are obsessed with claiming Egypt as non African lol.

It's also funny how all Europeans(Nords, Swedes, Germans, Irish lol) will claim Greece and Rome as their ancestry then have the audacity to try and tell black people on what cultures they can and can't celebrate from Africa. GTFOH lol.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-20-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 10:36 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
This above is a clear example of the white washing of history. The ancient Egyptians similar to Phoenicians and people from the Middle East? Call me an Afrocentric or what have you but I'm a student of truth and I call bull on this claim, especially since the Ancient Egyptians themselves documented where they come from. Let's be clear, I'm not saying that the ancient were not diverse but evidence would suggest that any mixtures of non-African cultures would have come later. It's hilarious that a thread like this is targeting black Americans but it seems Europeans and white Americans are obsessed with claiming Egypt as non African lol.

It's also funny how all Europeans(Nords, Swedes, Germans, Irish lol) will claim Greece and Rome as their ancestry then have the audacity to try and tell black people on what cultures they can and can't celebrate from Africa. GTFOH lol.
No they don't it's confused white Americans(who might have a Irish great grandparent etc) that do this crap just like the confused black Americans do. Real Norwegians, Swedes, Germans and Irish aren't claiming ancient Greece and Rome as their ancestry your claim is ridiculous. It's stupid confused white trash ignorant Americans who make these claims to boost their self esteem just like the dumb Afrocentrists do.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Sorry, genes don't lie...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.858cc7467b23
And it's natural when you think about it. Nowhere along the North African coast has there ever been a black city or anything. Ancient Egypt was basically a Mediterranean civilization, a continuum including what is now Lebanon, Israel, Syria etc.

Nobody tells anyone which cultures to celebrate or not to celebrate. As long as people don't hijack another civilization.
If African-Americans associated themselves with Nigeria's NOK culture, that I would understand as that was the predecessor of the Yoruba culture, which some American slaves came from.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sorry, genes don't lie...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.858cc7467b23
And it's natural when you think about it. Nowhere along the North African coast has there ever been a black city or anything. Ancient Egypt was basically a Mediterranean civilization, a continuum including what is now Lebanon, Israel, Syria etc.

Nobody tells anyone which cultures to celebrate or not to celebrate. As long as people don't hijack another civilization.
If African-Americans associated themselves with Nigeria's NOK culture, that I would understand as that was the predecessor of the Yoruba culture, which some American slaves came from.

Let's see what the study you posted states:

"A study led by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History and the University of Tubingen in Germany managed to plug some of those genetic gaps. Researchers wrung genetic material from 151 Egyptian mummies, radiocarbon dated between Egypt's New Kingdom (the oldest at 1388 B.C.) to the Roman Period (the youngest at 426 A.D.), as reported Tuesday in the journal Nature Communications."

"In their paper, the researchers acknowledged that “all our genetic data were obtained from a single site in Middle Egypt and may not be representative for all of ancient Egypt.” In the south of Egypt, the authors wrote, sub-Saharan influences may have been stronger."

"This study left two gaps in the Egyptian timeline that Krause wants to fill, he said. It is not clear when the African gene flow, present in modern Egyptians, occurred. Nor could the study determine the origin of the Egyptians. “The other big question is, 'Where did the ancient Egyptians come from?' ” Krause said. To answer that, scientists will have to find genomes “back further in time, in prehistory.”

The geneticist states even in his own work that the findings are not conclusive. So please, let's not push around these genetic tests(which don't tell the full story) as this is somehow helping your argument. The study says they took DNA samples of 100 modern Egyptians(doesn't specify which ethnic group, Nubians, Sudanese, Arabs etc.) They also admit their study focused mainly on "Middle Egypt"(wherever that is), which would obviously would show less so called black African DNA as the mixture there would probably be a lot stronger due to being so close to the Mediterranean. I'd rather take the information directly from the Egyptians own literature.

Egypt is in Africa. The Ancient Egyptians based on thier literature state they originate primarily from the south, Ethiopia, Nubia, Sudan etc. If that's not black(African) I don't know what is lol.

Sir E. A. Wallace in his translation as part of the Egyptian Book of the Dead and the Papyrus of Hunifer

""We came from the beginning of the Nile where God Hapi dwells, at the foothills of The Mountains of the Moon." "We," meaning the Egyptians, as stated, came from the beginning of the Nile

The God Hapi was the God of the Nile by the way which was the life blood of all Nile Valley culture.

Where is the beginning of the Nile you say? Remember, the Nile flows from south to north with the farthest point of the beginning of the Nile being in Uganda; this is the White Nile. Another point is in Ethiopia. The Blue Nile and White Nile meet in Khartoum; and the other side of Khartoum is the Omdurman Republic of Sudan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile

The Mountains of the Moon? Located in the Rwenzori Mountains of Uganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mounta...e_Moon_(Afr

Also, it's apparent that you may not know many African Americans because we actually do celebrate tribes in West Africa. Seems like you're allowing your personal bias and perspective cloud reality.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-20-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
No they don't it's confused white Americans(who might have a Irish great grandparent etc) that do this crap just like the confused black Americans do. Real Norwegians, Swedes, Germans and Irish aren't claiming ancient Greece and Rome as their ancestry your claim is ridiculous. It's stupid confused white trash ignorant Americans who make these claims to boost their self esteem just like the dumb Afrocentrists do.
You're joking right? I don't claim to know every European but let's not pretend that this is American phenomenon.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:16 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
You're joking right? I don't claim to know every European but let's not pretend that this is American phenomenon.
Nope I'm not it is primarily a phenomenon of the underclass of former colonial societies.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Well, they do know that the African influence and mixing only started about 1500 years ago. Long after Ancient Egypt was gone.

When they say they don't know yet where exactly the ancient Egyptians had come from, it does not mean that they came from sub-Saharan Africa. If that were the case, it would have shown in those ancient genes, but it didn't. What they mean is whether they came from what is now Lebanon or Syria or Turkey etc.

I would not be surprised if they were very close to Phoenicians. I used to have a Lebanese girlfriend, and so I got to know a couple of Lebanese people. Women there often have those striking eye brows, similar to those on ancient Egyptian busts and wall paintings.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM

"Well, they do know that the African influence and mixing only started about 1500 years ago. Long after Ancient Egypt was gone."

How do they know? Cause the study you just posted clearly stated the opposite:

"This study left two gaps in the Egyptian timeline that Krause wants to fill, he said. It is not clear when the African gene flow, present in modern Egyptians, occurred. Nor could the study determine the origin of the Egyptians. “The other big question is, 'Where did the ancient Egyptians come from?' ” Krause said. To answer that, scientists will have to find genomes “back further in time, in prehistory.”

"When they say they don't know yet where exactly the ancient Egyptians had come from, it does not mean that they came from sub-Saharan Africa. If that were the case, it would have shown in those ancient genes, but it didn't. What they mean is whether they came from what is now Lebanon or Syria or Turkey etc."

"When they say they don't know yet where exactly the ancient Egyptians had come from, it does not mean that they came from sub-Saharan Africa."

Of course the study didn't imply sub-Sahara Africa but it also didn't specify the questions I posted. Which ethnic group did the study consist of? Also, what was the time period of the mummy they used for the sample test? Since when did you deduce that they meant the ancient Egyptians were more closely related people from Lebanon, Syria or Turkey?

"I would not be surprised if they were very close to Phoenicians. I used to have a Lebanese girlfriend, and so I got to know a couple of Lebanese people. Women there often have those striking eye brows, similar to those on ancient Egyptian busts and wall paintings."

Dude, eyebrows is your litmus test? I know a woman who has a face that looks almost exactly like the painting of the Mona Lisa but has a big afro. Knowing Lebanese woman with "Egyptian looking eyebrows" doesn't prove anything.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-20-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa