Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times

Advertisements

To get back on topic.

Interesting video talking about the development of Eastern Lagos which is/has exploded with development last time I was there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbsdLI8kaWc

More development in Lagos. For me 20 years in the future, Lagos is going to be 2 cities. Eastern Lagos, which is going to be anchored by: Lagos Island- Lower Income place that should turn into residential towers. Ikoyi/Banana Island- land of the super wealthy as well as more middle class and wealthy apartments. Victoria island- CBD, but might be more for smaller Nigerian companies, Eko Atlantic- tourist draw and main CBD.

Lekki is going to be a massive middle class monster on it's own and will have an estimated population of 3.4 million when it's done. As a result, I expect development towards outlying cities like Badagry, Epe, Ikorodu and Ibadan to be massive but mostly lower class as the wealth of Lekki causes millions to come searching for the same thing but end up stuck on Lagos Mainland, but the question isn't whether Lekki will be done right, the European, Chinese and Nigerian investors will make sure that happens, the question is if the city of Lagos, especiall the key areas of Central/East Lagos like Ikoyi/Lagos Island/ Victoria Island and soon Makoko/Apapa/Ijora Olopa and Adekunle can get urban development right. These areas are in the current center of the city, and as the city moves, eastward if these areas aren't redeveloped mainland Lagos is in danger of being left behind.

I personally think the Nigerian government and investors can easily make Lagos Island into the first truly dense urban district of Nigeria- similar in feel to Downtown Johannesburg.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-26.204...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7314...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8039...7i13312!8i6656

North Africa is also ahead of the game, with gorgeous cities, almost equal to much of Europe in scope, although it fails when more of the rural areas of the country is compared as well as the outer areas.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Nobody has disputed your "larger quote" . . .

You opened with seven photos of African cities,
all taken from a distance in which they look just like Kuala Lumpur or Bogota. Because they show only features created by non-African planners and designers, financed by powers that hope to profit from the urbanizatioon of Africa. But down on the ground, those buildings are surrounded by Africans whose culture reflects no desire or inclination to form a modern "city", in the parlance of the new industrial state.

You cannot change the culture of people just by erecting a tent of skyscrapers over their heads, or moving more and more of them into the circumference of the tent, or even by exposing them to the same "projects". And that is the false track I am trying to warn you against following. Yes, the cities of Africa will become very highly populated. But that is not the same as saying they will face the same challenges of other cities's urbanization, or solve them in the same ways..

You asked me to discuss my thoughts on this, but you don't want to hear it.
You literally deleted 90% of my larger quote to frame that what is was all there, and keep repeating "You opened with seven photos of African cities" as if that was the only thing there

Your replies literally have nothing to with my post but rather a straw man of what think I meant or my mention. And even after I tell you that wasn't the purpose you still want to straw man.

You made assuming of my OP post skyline pics deeper then what it was, if you google images of any city the first thing you would likely see is a skyline. Oblivious the entire city is not a skyline. It just something usual the first thing shown.. The OP pics were just pics of the cities,

Again I not asking for specific development but developments. It could be skyscraper or heck it could a be small home.... So the issue here is not me focusing elusively on Skyscapers, but rather the opposite your irritate by posting of highrise and etc.

And this is lie "Because they show only features created by non-African planners and designers"

Dar es Salaam - SkyscraperCity

Abuja - SkyscraperCity

Projects & Construction - SkyscraperCity

"You asked me to discuss my thoughts on this, but you don't want to hear it." because it has nothing to do with topic example
" But down on the ground, those buildings are surrounded by Africans whose culture reflects no desire or inclination to form a modern "city", in the parlance of the new industrial state.

You cannot change the culture of people just by erecting a tent of skyscrapers over their heads, or moving more and more of them into the circumference of the tent, or even by exposing them to the same "projects". And that is the false track I am trying to warn you against following. Yes, the cities of Africa will become very highly populated. But that is not the same as saying they will face the same challenges of other cities's urbanization, or solve them in the same ways.. "
^^^^^ there so many straw man in this post it's not even funny.

This quote from you base on what you feel Africans want and don't, and not what actually happening. Regardless of what I feel or what you feel developments are happening... Your premise is basically derail the thread and this ignoring how completely abstract and ilogical it is cause you have no way to possibility knowing what Africans in cities want and don't want in first place that call hasty generalization.

So you post this deeper philosophy of what skyscrapers represent to you.... but doesn't change the fact they are being develop? no..... The idea that we shouldn't discus projects because you feel Africans in cities don't want to in what you feel is modernize is silly.

For example this pedestrian bridge, using your logic we shouldn't post projects because of what you not sure abstract Africans will accept it, It contradicting to development because in general you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQjnPVFzvbI

So irony is you created a view and what Africans cities are and will be, And don't like my post or this thread because some it contradicts your view.

I never said African cities will be perfect, And Well know the income gap in cities in developing countries. That makes a diversity of projects to discus. The thread isn't going to be cap from posting projects of what you feel.

manila philippines

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hilippines.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/7a...9622e3bf4f.jpg
rio de janeiro

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...la_closeup.JPG

https://www.pandotrip.com/wp-content...62-980x613.jpg

Old 05-08-2018, 02:43 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

So irony is you created a view and what Africans cities are and will be, And don't like my post or this thread because some it contradicts your view.
I created a view? What did you want me to do?

Originally,, you posted
Quote:
So post about developments, challenges, Culture and Architecture of urban Africa
So I did, with my personal observations. You responded

Quote:
This respond above is pointless and literally makes no sense towards to post quoted from me nor in general.
Here's an idea. You tell me what you want me to say. I'll copy and paste it under my name, and everybody (meaning you) will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa