Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:14 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,190,870 times

Advertisements

So I'm African American but I admit I'm fairly new to learning about African Geography and don't know much about individual African cities. I keep hearing about how Africa is becoming more advanced. I'm wondering if there's any city or cities that are growing and could compete with some of the newer mega cities in Asia such as Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong and Doha. I've heard Djibouti wants to be the Dubai of Africa, I wonder if that's a realistic goal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:33 PM

10,932 posts, read 11,656,829 times
Nope and not realistic, either.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,002,605 times
The closest African Megacities to being anything Asia like are

Nicer and newer parts of Cairo.
Parts of Johannesburg and Sandton (J-burg-Pretoria is over 10 million).
Lagos- Eko Atlantic is very Asian like project but hasn't been completed.
Kinshasa- probably the poorest of the 4 megacities and isn't likely to have any Asian like structures in it. only one of the 4 cities that doesn't have a 100 billion dollar economy.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:02 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,211 times
I don't know where you heard that about Djibouti. Djibouti is a joke. It has almost no hotels to speak of. It is horribly expensive. Unemployment rate is 50%, the population is rising faster than the economy. Street traffic is sleepy at the busiest.

Djibouti has a better chance of winning the World Cup, than of becoming another Dubai.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So I'm African American but I admit I'm fairly new to learning about African Geography and don't know much about individual African cities. I keep hearing about how Africa is becoming more advanced. I'm wondering if there's any city or cities that are growing and could compete with some of the newer mega cities in Asia such as Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong and Doha. I've heard Djibouti wants to be the Dubai of Africa, I wonder if that's a realistic goal or not.
Dubai is REALLY unique as are all of the Gulf States. I mean, enough oil to become fifthly rich making every citizen with unknown wealth. Nope nothing like that in Africa. Nor is there anything like that in Europe or the United States or Australia either.

But if you are thinking of which cities in sub-saharan Africa which has a lot of modernity, wealthier classes, shopping malls, corporations, etc.

I'd say Cape Town, Johannesburg and Nairobi would be way up there.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM

4,091 posts, read 3,668,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Dubai is REALLY unique as are all of the Gulf States. I mean, enough oil to become fifthly rich making every citizen with unknown wealth. Nope nothing like that in Africa. Nor is there anything like that in Europe or the United States or Australia either.
Equatorial Guinea could easily become that place. They have among the highest per capita in the world. Unfortunately the corrupt dictatorship will continue to condemn the rest of Eq. Guinea to abject poverty.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,438,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

But if you are thinking of which cities in sub-saharan Africa which has a lot of modernity, wealthier classes, shopping malls, corporations, etc.

I'd say Cape Town, Johannesburg and Nairobi would be way up there.
That depends on what criteria you use to define Dubai. Panama City and Astana are both cities that developed rapidly, so you could argue that they share that trait with Dubai. Shanghai's skyline could easily compete with it.

As far as the Gulf States are concerned, Doha resembles Dubai quite a bit.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 863,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Equatorial Guinea could easily become that place. They have among the highest per capita in the world. Unfortunately the corrupt dictatorship will continue to condemn the rest of Eq. Guinea to abject poverty.
Not very likely, from the look of things. While Equatorial Guinea's per capita GDP is sky high by African standards, it ranks 56th in the world and has dropped almost $10,000 and real GDP growth has gone down an average of 8.7% per year since 2015. Oil production has dropped from 365,000 bbl/day to 188,000, gas production is falling, and since they make up 98% of the country's exports, things don't look very promising.
Equatorial Guinea ranks 135 out of 185 on the human index scale, 172 out of 176 on a German corruption index, and in surveys of civil liberties and political rights, it consistently ties with North Korea as the worst in the world.

Despite immense amounts of high value natural resources and around half a trillion dollars in foreign aid, over 25% of sub-Saharan African countries are actually poorer than they were in 1960. Africa was also able to feed itself in 1960, but became a net food importer in the 1970s and has continued to get worse. A UN showed that from 1980 to 2007 African population grew 2.6% per year, while per capita food production rose less than 0.1%.

If these trends continue, Africa is going to be a mess for a very long time.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,002,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Not very likely, from the look of things. While Equatorial Guinea's per capita GDP is sky high by African standards, it ranks 56th in the world and has dropped almost $10,000 and real GDP growth has gone down an average of 8.7% per year since 2015. Oil production has dropped from 365,000 bbl/day to 188,000, gas production is falling, and since they make up 98% of the country's exports, things don't look very promising.
Equatorial Guinea ranks 135 out of 185 on the human index scale, 172 out of 176 on a German corruption index, and in surveys of civil liberties and political rights, it consistently ties with North Korea as the worst in the world.

Despite immense amounts of high value natural resources and around half a trillion dollars in foreign aid, over 25% of sub-Saharan African countries are actually poorer than they were in 1960. Africa was also able to feed itself in 1960, but became a net food importer in the 1970s and has continued to get worse. A UN showed that from 1980 to 2007 African population grew 2.6% per year, while per capita food production rose less than 0.1%.

If these trends continue, Africa is going to be a mess for a very long time.
The important thing isn’t that their 25% poorer than they were in 1960. D.R.C is poorer than it was in 1960 but life expectancy is up like 20 years. You have to look at things like HDI and life expectancy because the only countries that have truly gone backward in Africa or stayed the same, IMO are Eritrea/CAF/Niger/Libya/Zimbabwe/South Sudan/ Southern Somalia.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,190,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I don't know where you heard that about Djibouti. Djibouti is a joke. It has almost no hotels to speak of. It is horribly expensive. Unemployment rate is 50%, the population is rising faster than the economy. Street traffic is sleepy at the busiest.

Djibouti has a better chance of winning the World Cup, than of becoming another Dubai.
https://youtu.be/VSTRrozl-cM

Among other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa