Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lebanese-t...190518538.html

Really makes me want to visit Egypt (sarcasm). Instead of working to make the country better to attract tourist money, let’s arrest and imprison tourist who say bad things about our country,...yeah that’s the thing to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,952,774 times
The moral of the story is to wait after your vacation is over before you criticize Egypt on social media. Had she done that, she would had been safe and sound in Lebanon or wherever she lives while the Egyptian bureaucracy would be fuming. lol

Old 06-03-2018, 08:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Her alleged crime was "spreading false rumors",, so if Egypt has anything resembling due process, her straightforward defense is that the state must prove the rumors false. My bet that a quick settlement will be worked out on that basis.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Welp, another country gone down the drain. I won't be visiting there anytime soon, although this is the least of my concerns.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:16 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
You can find similar stories about every country, and daily ones about the travesties of American ceiminal justice.

In fact, only about 3% of Americdans charged with felonies ever haved their day in court. Their plea bargain is spelled out for them, with the alternative being a long, long list of every other petty crime that can be made to fit, and a very long stay in the big house if they get a hanging judge. Welp, how does that make you feel?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 1,861 times
This is a very bad advertisement for Egyptian tourism. Now we know that in Egypt there is no free speech and women suffer from sexual harassment.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Tourism is Egypt's bread and butter, to the extent that westerner's practically have there own personal body guards when they visit, or they did before Mubarek fell (and I was lucky to get out of there right before it happened). Really, if anything, the government is overprotective and overly insecure about the treatment of tourists.

But that applies the western tourism, a fellow arab/muslim ironically may be treated with more distrust as they have had there shared of agitators from neighboring countries come in, and I venture that is the background here.

Sexual harassment however is a huge issue in Egypt, it's a cultural problem. Female tourists should not go out alone without a male accompanied them as they will just get unwanted attention, and obviously dress conservatively. Sadly, that's just the way it works in Egypt and other muslim countries.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You can find similar stories about every country, and daily ones about the travesties of American ceiminal justice.

In fact, only about 3% of Americdans charged with felonies ever haved their day in court. Their plea bargain is spelled out for them, with the alternative being a long, long list of every other petty crime that can be made to fit, and a very long stay in the big house if they get a hanging judge. Welp, how does that make you feel?
America should be following the Philippines' model of justice?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Thumbs down ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lebanese-t...190518538.html

Really makes me want to visit Egypt (sarcasm). Instead of working to make the country better to attract tourist money, let’s arrest and imprison tourist who say bad things about our country,...yeah that’s the thing to do!
I have been to Egypt. Though I agree with her I think she is a moron. If you come from the middle east you should have the sense to know how doing something like that would potentially get you in serious trouble. Why would she have been dumb enough to post this or say this while in there country?

I was in Egypt and as a woman YES sexual harassment is a HUGE issue.
She is lucky she did not get raped being a lone with a strange man.
This is not to say that Arab men are more likely to rape a women then a man from any different nationality, but the police in these countries are not very helpful in dealing with these issues and often the women gets blamed ex why were you alone ... why were you dressed like that.
Considering she is from Lebanon I think she should have been more wise to issues with in Egypt if she was from a Western country I would excuse her ignorance.

When you visit another country you need to be mindful of the culture, social attitudes and laws before running your mouth for your own safety.

I am just shocked she did not know these were situations she would run in to in Egypt before. In Egypt specifically Cairo you need to be VERY VERY street smart. It is not Disney Land. My husband is from a smaller city in Morocco and I had to continually give him hell for being so nice or friendly with people. This guy was trying to scam us in to renting a hotel room that was overpriced and out of the areas that we wanted to be in. I could tell from the start what was going on. He was around our age. My husband was talking with him and he figured out my husband was religious as he stopped to pray. My husband also invited him to come eat with us at a restaurant. I could tell the guy was starting to feel guilty about what he was doing.... but I understood why he was doing it. He was recently married and had a young baby and finding employment is very difficulty in Egypt even for young people with education. He was working with a taxi service company hired to specific get tourist to say in certain hotels at higher prices then they are worth. Life is not easy for people there if they do not have a lot of money. So here we are flying in from somewhere else just for a fun visit which suggests we have money. This guy was just trying to feed his family.

This is just the reality.

Shame on her for being that clueless. People get in trouble in these places for less.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacy22 View Post
This is a very bad advertisement for Egyptian tourism. Now we know that in Egypt there is no free speech and women suffer from sexual harassment.
NOW you know? LMAO.
No offence if someone did not already know that they probably should have had the sense to at least check the travel advisories for the region.
This is not new?

Again this is not Disney Land .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa