Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,240 times

Advertisements

Since this forum is so riddled with Eurocentric people trying to demonize and make SS Africa look like an uncivilized crap hole, I am starting this thread to show otherwise. I feel that it is important for people, especially black Americans with disconnected history, to know that Africa indeed had sophistication, technology and civilizations.

Back earlier this year, I took two DNA tests and found out I have connections with Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Cameroon, Congo and Senegal and decided to look more into these regions.

Let's start with Ghana:
https://www.britannica.com/place/Gha...African-empire

The Soninke (black Africans and some of the ancestors of today's African-Americans) were the founders of the ancient empire of Ghana, now part of present day Mali, Mauritania and Senegal. The Empire of Ghana was wealthy and a highly sophisticated trade market where the Kings imposed an import-export tax on traders and a production tax on gold, which was the country’s most valuable commodity. Much like many non-African kingdoms, the Soninke held courts were political and administrative matters took place, and what the king said went.

The Soninke also had large militaristic forces. Unfortunately, Ghana declined with the rise of Islam and Arabic forces and influences and was unable to withstand them. Still, I am proud to say that 15% of my DNA came from present day Mali and Senegal, and many African-Americans carry this Empire in our DNA.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Mal...-empire-Africa

Ever heard parents threaten their kids to send them to Timbuktu? Ever wonder where it was? It is located in present day Mali, and the Empire of Mali was vast, encompassing Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Mali, Ivory Coast and Senegal. Considered an extremely wealthy state, Mali, like Ghana, also was a world trade market of goods and intellect, as Mali had libraries full of text, some in West African languages with Arabic thrown in as well. The architecture was in the Sudano-Sahelian form, a West African style of palace. Yes. Not all Africans lived in HUTS!

Not to mention, historians consider Mali to be the wealthiest ancient Kingdom, with its tenth King, Mansa Musa, the richest man to have ever lived (and yes, he was black). Stated Time Magazine : "There's really no way to put an accurate number on his wealth."

I could go on and on about the Empire of Mali, but I will say that I am proud that nearly 1/5 of my DNA came from it. Many slaves were taken from this region and brought to the Americas.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Songhai-empire

The Songhai empire succeeded Mali as another place of trade, intellect and wealth. It was huge as well, extending from Senegal to Nigeria and Cameroon. It was divided into five provinces each led by a governor, and all were ruled under an Emperor.

Leaders to look up: Askia the Great
Askia the Great

To start, Askia simplified his newly-won empire and established harmony among the religious factions that were continually in conflict with one another. He orchestrated a program of expansion and consolidation that extended the empire from Taghaza in the North, to the borders of Yatenga in the South; and from Air in the Northeast to Futa Tooro in Senegambooties. Instead of organizing the empire along Islamic lines, he tempered and improved on the traditional model by instituting a system of bureaucratic government that was unparalleled in the Western Sudan region. In addition, Askia established standardized trade measures and regulations, and initiated the policing of trade routes. He also encouraged learning and literacy, ensuring that Mali's universities produced the most distinguished scholars, many of whom published significant books.

To secure the legitimacy of his usurpation of the Sunni dynasty, Askia Muhammad allied himself with scholars from Timbuktu and, ushered in a golden age in the city for Muslim scholarship. He knew that a key strategy to keeping his power would be to keep the high priests of the government out of his business. He divided the empire into four parts and chose a viceroy to preside over each. Askia also made a way to have all of his family and relatives part of the government, which brought even more unity within the empire. He did this by taking the daughters of his vassal chiefs as his wives (polygamy is still practiced in some parts of Africa today), and he would marry his own daughters and nieces off to his subject chiefs, high dignitaries, governors and judges in turn. By doing this, majority of the prominent families within the empire were in some way related to him.

He created an army, complete with a reserve, and to police the kingdom, he invented another army made up of cavalry that was fully armored and equipped with weapons such as lances and bow and poisoned arrows. Along the Niger River, Askia demanded harbors be erected and canals be dug. War ship fleets and merchant ships were built in large number and served the purpose of commerce and protection. His main naval fleet was stationed in the center of the river. A robust relationship for trading developed between other nations like Portugal and other Mediterranean empires, while caravans full of goods were sent to Cairo, Algiers, Morocco and Baghdad for trade. Askia was also set on creating highly-advanced education institutions. Children of the Songhai empire were all encouraged, despite religion or racial make-up, to study abroad by attending the Muslim universities in places like Europe and Asia, and likewise, scholars from around the world were invited to study in Timbuktu, where they were given subsidies and accolades. Consequently, the residents of Timbuktu were often well learned. Astronomers from Songhai, for example, knew what things like comets and stars were, while the citizens of England were terrified of giants orbs in the sky that were unknown to them. Because of Askia, Timbuktu garnered the name of “The Queen of Sudan.”

As you can see, Songhai was amazing. I was elated to come back with high Malian, Senegalese, and Nigerian and Cameroonian roots, which comprised of the vast majority of my DNA. I want black Americans and non-black people reading this thread to be in awe of the beauty and complexity that was West Africa, a place that is always dogged and shat on for supposedly being unsophisticated, unintelligent and inferior...it wasn't.

Sometimes I wonder what Africa, especially West Africa, would have been like if Europe never set foot in it and destroyed it with its weapons, violence and chains. At the same time, black Americans wouldn't have been here if weren't for the slave trade and the rape that infiltrated our blood line.

To be continued.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:51 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavicVibes View Post
And I think that many Europeans were given technology, so they could have "pulled ahead".
By whom?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:01 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Thede empires are greatly exaggerated. They had no writing system, and there were no written accounts of the African kingdoms until the Arabs arrived. That was whan the Africans gained prosperity from the export of salt to the enlightened world to the north, facilitated by the domestication of camels.

Before the arrival of Arab traders and intellectualism, the kingdoms of Africa were no more advanced than the preliterate indigenous peoples of any other continent. They left no lasting records of their own culture.

Like SlavicVibes, I also love Africa, and I have been in almost every African country.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:09 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
OP, noble cause but detractors love this type of thing. They put a lot of effort into that type of action. Stay constructing though & don't let it bother you.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
By whom?
The Middle East to the Romans to much of Europe. Then again from England during the industrial revolution to the rest of Europe. Europeans didn’t have many scripts before the Greeks/Romans either not having a script doesn’t mean you can’t build civilization you could just adopt one.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:00 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The Middle East to the Romans to much of Europe. Then again from England during the industrial revolution to the rest of Europe. Europeans didn’t have many scripts before the Greeks/Romans either not having a script doesn’t mean you can’t build civilization you could just adopt one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin%C4%8Da_symbols

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretan_hieroglyphs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_B

And, though it they do not predate the Greek and Latin alphabets, but are derived from Greek, additionally, Spain, Italy and Gaul had several:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_scripts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Italic_script

Last edited by cachibatches; 06-10-2018 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,167,272 times
Does anyone have pictures or drawings of precolonial African cities and or buildings outside of Mali? All I could find of the City of Benin and others were drawings by European visitors. There was a Ted Talk about fractals being an important element of African designs but I couldn't find any examples in buildings or city planning.

Also does anyone know if these West African empires mint their coins? If they do please post examples here.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
OP, noble cause but detractors love this type of thing. They put a lot of effort into that type of action. Stay constructing though & don't let it bother you.
Yeah. Coming in and stating that Ancient Egypt wasn't black (when we know it was before the Arabians came and conquer) is just another way for the racists to come and detract from this thread. Hence why I am focusing on West Africa as these fools can't pull from Eurocentric garbage and whiten a kingdom with little to no interaction with Europe in ancient times.

Moderator cut: inflammatory

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-12-2018 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Does anyone have pictures or drawings of precolonial African cities and or buildings outside of Mali? All I could find of the City of Benin and others were drawings by European visitors. There was a Ted Talk about fractals being an important element of African designs but I couldn't find any examples in buildings or city planning.

Also does anyone know if these West African empires mint their coins? If they do please post examples here.
I will look more into that.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Thede empires are greatly exaggerated. They had no writing system, and there were no written accounts of the African kingdoms until the Arabs arrived. That was whan the Africans gained prosperity from the export of salt to the enlightened world to the north, facilitated by the domestication of camels.

Before the arrival of Arab traders and intellectualism, the kingdoms of Africa were no more advanced than the preliterate indigenous peoples of any other continent. They left no lasting records of their own culture.

Like SlavicVibes, I also love Africa, and I have been in almost every African country.
They did have some writing systems but very little survived to see modern times. As evidence by the Mali empire and their library, the Vai in Liberia and Sierra Leone which is one of the world's oldest still-used alphabet, the Bassa (also Liberia) and more.

Moderator cut: -

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-12-2018 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic only, not other posters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa