Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:30 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
For blacks in America to really be considered the whites of the black race they would at least have to be living on top in their society and African Americans are clearly not at the top in American society.

Oh yea I’m black also before anyone says anything.
And this is the point. In fact black immigrants from elite background are sometimes accused of being "white minded" because they carry the same level of entitlement that their white equivalent would. Accustomed as they are to being the top of society, determining how others must engage them. Of course when they discover that they no longer occupy the status that they once did life becomes harsh, but that's another topic.

Even Oprah doesn't carry this as she knows fully well that its her ability to engage the white movers and shakers that has allowed her success. Ditto Barack Obama.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I would say if needing to see black success is necessary for black people to succeed you see way more successful black people in Victoria Island and Lekki than anywhere in the U.S. in fact if we are talking about cities with the most successful black people that I’ve been in it goes something like.

Lagos- 2 million predominantly black middle class and wealthy folk (Their are more black billionaires in Lagos than outside Lagos)
London- 1 million+ mostly middle class to wealthy black folk
New York- maybe a million mostly wealthy/middle class black folk
Atlanta- around a million mostly wealthy/middle class black folk.
D.C
Houston
Dallas
Abuja
Johannesburg
Nairobi

Likely round out the top 10. I’m not super confident in my order, but their are way more wealthy black people in the nice parts of Lagos than anywhere in America, same with London.
I can assure you that they aren't 1 million "wealthy" blacks in London unless you include those struggling to pay the rent/mortgage.

But yes I agree that it will be easier to find concentrations of wealth and power in Lagos than among groups of blacks in the USA, but then its also easier to find grinding poverty far worse than what we are accustomed to seeing on this side of the Atlantic outside of Haiti.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In the English Caribbean, you still have your colorism and many in the highest class in these countries aren’t even black(many are Arab, Chinese, of European descent, etc). So, even in those countries, it isn’t as cut and dry.
This might be true but then the middle class is predominantly black and those non black elites have to be very careful about how they engage them. You think that the rich whites in Barbados want a black gov't ministers telling the island that Mr. X is a racist who hates blacks. These blacks can hurt him in ways that blacks in the USA cannot hurt a rich white bigot.

So blacks have fewer barriers of race in those places than they do in the USA. The reality is in most of these places (Guyana, T&T and Belize excluded as they multi ethnic) hardly anyone thinks of race anymore and even skin color is of declining significance.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
He's stating (factually) that African chiefs were enslaving, imprisoning, and selling their own people long before any Europeans arrived. So yes, Africa did have slavery.

They weren't "selling their own people" anymore than was Hitler when he slayed millions of Europeans. The various kingdoms differentiated themselves from one another in the same way that Europeans differentiated themselves by nationality and religion.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I'm educated with a nice house, car, and wife. What the hell kind of systematic oppression is that?

And this is hardly unique in many majority black countries yet you seem to think that black Americans need to kiss the ground. I suspect that blacks in Canada on average have better housing than those in the USA.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Then why are Caribbean folks coming here to play sports, study, immigrate, and get visas instead of the other way around? There is no upward mobility for developing countries when compared to developed ones.
]
1. If black Americans were a separate nation their HDI would be lower than that of Barbados, The Bahamas, and even Antigua or St Kitts Nevis.

2. Black immigrants dont arrive in the USA to genuflect to black Americans. In fact they often look down at them, so I dont understand your point. Black Americans are the poorest group in the USA so aren't benefitting highly from what this country has on offer.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
How I said for you other time in Brazil we never had the ‘’one drop rule’’ like in USA where someone with any percentage of black ancestry was considerated black for the segregration laws effects.

While you all are arguing about how many white drops you have that means that you aren't "black" blacks in the USA, Canada, the UK and even the English/French Caribbean (aside from Haiti) race ahead of these Brazilians.

Maybe you ought to focus more on greater equity for those Brazilians who visibly have African ancestry and spend less time counting all of those white drops. I know loads of American and Caribbean blacks who visit Brazil, some as recently as this year and the consensus is that life for those who show visible African ancestry is not good.

We dont envy Brazil even as you all spend all day counting all of your "wonderful" white drops. Especially now that you have a racist as your president.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThink View Post
Very interesting!

Just to ensure that I understand correctly, are you implying that the countries such as Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, etc. not only have black majorities but the black majority have economic wealth that surpasses the white citizens of these countries or control the wealth?

The comparison is among different groups of blacks. Blacks in the USA are more stigmatized and more locked out of decision making than are blacks in these richer Caribbean nations. While their incomes are higher one can argue as to whether they are better off. Most are renters whereas most in the richer Caribbean countries own. Black Americans also have higher infant mortality rates, lower life expectancy, and we can argue as to whether they are more educated. 30% of Barbadians have tertiary level education.

And given that whites are 1% of the populations and most of their companies are now publicly owned (meaning that many blacks own shares) it may well be that their overall wealth isnt higher than that of blacks in those nations, even if their per capita wealth definitely is. Certainly the politicians are all blacks so have regulatory control over these "white" owned companies.

The Caribbean today isnt what it was 40 years ago. Massa doesn't ride on his horse looking down on the natives anymore.

Making a bold statement that black Americans are best off blacks in the planet is debatable when it is a fact that within the USA itself black immigrants are better off, so I dont see the sense of this thread, except in the head of a colonial person who wants to please his white massa. Even most white Americans are now skeptical about their economic status in this country so I dont know what blacks have to be grateful for.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 PM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I agree. Africans enslaving other Africans doesn't change the fact that the actual slaves were still victims of the Slave Trade and their descendants continued to suffer as victims centuries later.

There were Jews that helped Nazis during the Holocaust but somehow Nazis are still held accountable for their horrific actions and are generally viewed as racists.
Those were not prominent Jews or Jews that were leaders that allied with Nazis.It was mostly in Poland and the few that worked with Nazis were far and in between.

Quote:
I believe we are. When we look at the numerous black communities (communities with descendants of African people) around the world, it's very clear that African Americans still have the highest standard of living, most opportunities for upward mobility, most political power, highest percentage of blacks in any 1st world developed country, greatest influence on global black culture (music, movies, sports, etc), and all the other benefits that comes with being a black person in America as opposed to another country.

According to wiki, the regions below have the highest percentage of African descendants from the African diaspora.

I'm sure a case could be made for blacks in Canada, U.K, or France but again, the black population in those countries pales in comparison to the black population in America.

At the end of the day, despite the notion that being an African American is "hard," we really have no room to complain once we look at the blacks in other countries and the lack of opportunities they have compared to us. African Americans can truly make a case of being the "white people" of the African diaspora.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_diaspora
Honestly many of the upper income blacks in America are of African and Caribbean origin. A large chunk of the blacks in the colleges and universities are of African and Carribean origin as well.

Black Canadians have a similar income to blacks in America.
[quote]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-are-ugly.html

Quote:
https://voxeu.org/article/accounting...-france-and-us

In the US, differences in commute time between black and white workers are similar to those in France. In addition, France and the US differ regarding job-related geographical mobility rates: they are higher for minority workers than for majority workers in France, and quite similar for white people and black people in the US.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 12-19-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 06:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
They weren't "selling their own people" anymore than was Hitler when he slayed millions of Europeans. The various kingdoms differentiated themselves from one another in the same way that Europeans differentiated themselves by nationality and religion.
Object Lesson:
Just finished reading the book "Barracoon" written by an AA Anthropologist in the 1930s? in which she interviews an elderly gentleman who was captured in what is now Benin and shipped to North Carolina
in the mid to late 1800s. Basically he was living in a Yoruba town and one of the kings of Dahomey sent
his Amazon warriors to massacre the townspeople under the pretext that the town's king "insulted" him
by refusing to pay tribute.

Those who survived were captured and marched 60 miles down to Ouidah, put in a pen, picked out and brought by a wealthy businessman who brought about 120 people and shipped them to North Carolina.

Most were Nupe and Yoruba people some Fulani, He stated, He had heard of white men but never seen them
and when he was put in the pen, he noticed people in the pens from many different nations that he knew of.

Dahomey had raided and fought wars with different people for the purpose of capturing slaves for sale, it
was a slaving state, its commerce was built on slavery. It was hard for the AA anthropologist to accept the fact at first of "my people sold me and the Americans brought me".

The Fon(Dahomey) people certainly didn't consider the Yoruba people "their own people" as they captured
this 19 year old at the time, sent him to the stockades in Abomey then down to Ouidah to the pens.

I was watching one documentary and in it, one Fon woman states since she was descended from a large
slave-trading family in Ouidah every time she meets an AA she feels guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa