Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Not another 'ancient Egypt was a black civilization' thread, please

Sub-Saharan Africa unfortunately has a poor reputation, so naturally Egyptians.

As does Egypt. I would argue that Ghana/Kenya are more positively viewed today than Egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 04:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Its not exactly a one way street. How many black Africans view the northerners as being of the same identity or even true Africans?

This is in reaction to how North Africans view those Africans from south of the Sahara. Not a chicken and egg issue here. in fact there isn't even a clear distinction between those divergent notions of Africa as a visit to Mauritania, Sudan and even Morocco would show. Gnawa music clearly didn't originate in North Africa.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I know of several AA tourists who went to Egypt and also of an AA college tour group, they were of course considered Americans and had no problems. What was interesting was when the college group went down to the Nubian section of Egypt
the Nubian said "You are Americans? wow you are dark like us!"
They hadn't seen Black American tourists, and people don't really distinguish that much between dark skinned people/people of African descent. We all look "third world" even to third world people.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Northern Nigeria is infected with Islam
Most African countries have considerable Islamic presences. There's Islam in Southern Nigeria too. All throughout West Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda. Been this way for centuries. Islam spread over much of Africa and Asia (Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Western China, Phillipines, Central Asia, Southern Russia).

Old 11-18-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
AA's usually are of West African ancestry if I am not mistaken. Certainly not of Nubian ancestry.
I suppose some AA might simply pick Nubians because those used to be important for some time (a clone of Egyptian culture, basically). Reggae people like Ethiopia because it has never been colonized.
DNA samples of African Americans will also show East African, Central African, and Southern Africa. People moved around in Africa before slavery and people from other parts of Africa were sold into slavery too.

Islam spread into West Africa BEFORE the arrival of the Europeans, so you'll find North African in Black Americans.

Via slavery, you'll find the typical African American is about 20 percent European, and there are sometimes small amounts of Native or Asian.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 18,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
DNA samples of African Americans will also show East African, Central African, and Southern Africa. People moved around in Africa before slavery and people from other parts of Africa were sold into slavery too.

Islam spread into West Africa BEFORE the arrival of the Europeans, so you'll find North African in Black Americans.

Via slavery, you'll find the typical African American is about 20 percent European, and there are sometimes small amounts of Native or Asian.
. People are whatever they identify as. I'm an American and my results are 86% African and 13% European 0.5% North African and 0.5% Native American and I definitely don't consider myself Black/African American.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora7 View Post
. People are whatever they identify as. I'm an American and my results are 86% African and 13% European 0.5% North African and 0.5% Native American and I definitely don't consider myself Black/African American.
If you’re 86 percent African you will certainly be treated as Black no matter how you identify and any Telde is pathological delusion.

I mean who cares how someone identifies?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:21 PM

27 posts, read 18,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you’re 86 percent African you will certainly be treated as Black no matter how you identify and any Telde is pathological delusion.

I mean who cares how someone identifies?
How am I pathological delusional? Also how someone identifies themselves is what they actually are. A lot of people say I look like a younger version of Wesley Snipes and it would be the inaccurate to say African-American when my great-great-great-great grandfather was Irish.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora7 View Post
How am I pathological delusional? Also how someone identifies themselves is what they actually are. A lot of people say I look like a younger version of Wesley Snipes and it would be the inaccurate to say African-American when my great-great-great-great grandfather was Irish.
Who cares.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:02 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Think of how many English reject the idea that England is part of Europe. This is all over the place in the Brexit controversy, not just about rejecting involvement in the political entity of the EU, but seething with resentment at being considered European at all.

I live in a part of Europe when many English have retired, and they are among the most xenophobic people you could imagine.

Thus, I don't find the Egyptian attitude toward other parts of Africa very unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa