Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
The majority of highly educated Africans move back to Africa.

Do you have some objective statistics on this? I find this very hard to believe. So-called "educated" Africans are Africa's biggest problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Motion,

I think when you know better you do better. Some African cultural norms I don't believe people from the west should get involved in. But when it comes to killings, mutilations, and slavery people should speak out. According to the report below the Ghanaian government has been trying to stop slavery. But slavery in these countries are easy when there is a lack of education and opportunity. Slavery around the world is something we as a collective should not allow and be okay with.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/re...ld-labor/ghana

Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
I will be so glad when Africans realizes all the wealth it contains, and stop thinking Western culture is the standard.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Treemoni,

This was an interesting study that states that Africans move within the continent as opposed to Europe or the Americas.

https://qz.com/africa/1582771/africa...not-us-europe/

Interesting story about a Ghanain studying at UC Berkeley that moved back to Ghana
https://qz.com/1469293/moving-abroad...ent-back-home/

Of course there hasn't been a study done of just how many people have returned. But the point is that they do. Educated Africans is not the problem but a colonized mind is. Since Africans have tried to go back to Africa since the 1700's it would be interesting to understand from that point on how many people have actually gone back to the continent. But many people have gone to Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, etc.

The Washington Post also has a good article on this subject matter but you have to be a subscriber. So I won't post that article here.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Treemoni,

Here are some additional information about reverse migration. Studies actually have been done and are currently happening now.

https://www.un.org/africarenewal/mag.../no-place-home
https://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/vie...ntext=uhf_2007
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34924351

This was an interesting recent dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MMZWwRooUs&t=904s

These people recently went to Ghana and it was interesting to hear and see their perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpNwagJzTa0

Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Should Black Americans moving to African countries get involved in helping to stop harmful cultural beliefs and customs in those countries?

Like FGM and Trokosi in Ghana?

No, but try telling them that. If its an American, then forget about it. The changing the world 'mantra' appears to be engrained in Americans of all types and many Americans don't realize it. Make the world more like the USA is the underlining aspect. A basically impossible feat in many places of the globe. The USA has always been like this and there is no reason to think that Americans are going to change anytime soon on this aspect. Meaning well is the rule of the game, but sometimes what it creates is worst than the disease.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:29 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
It would be VERY wise for Black Americans moving to Africa to DEFINITELY stay out of TRIBAL issues and CUSTOMS as they
would be getting into something they do not understand or have any concept of. Let the Africans handle issues like Trokosi and
FGM. let AFRICANS correct these issues.

There was a case several years back of 2 senior Black American women murdered in Ghana over a land ownership issue. You
don't know as a foreigner, what cultural assumptions underlay common things like land ownership in this case and what cultural
minefields you may walk into. I would also be careful in cases where Ghanaians want to make foreign expats "Honorary Chiefs".

There are some things in the culture you cannot penetrate just because you are a foreigner.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 AM

What is interesting about the couple visiting Ghana for the first time is their comments on common courtesy and high emphasis on manners and the hospitality of the people in the culture. It reminded me of AA communities in the 1950s and 1960s where
people knew each other and the community basically disciplined the children. I can see their point where in a lot of cases,
social etiquette and common courtesy has gone down hill in America.

However, the idea of going to Africa just because America is so bad needs to be qualified. I can see if you hit a "glass-ceiling"
in America you feel is due to racism in a career and in that same career you can advance in Africa due to not having a racial
glass ceiling.

If you just want to go to a Black-majority country go to Jamaica or the Bahamas. Their comment on the absence of "racial
tension" was interesting. When I traveled out of the country, I felt "foreign tension" and was very aware of being American.
It really wasn't "tension" just heightened awareness of who I was.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
Thanks for the info, bay. It's still a strong "no" for me. It's not even about the continent being undeveloped. America's institutions are racist towards black Americans. This is a fact. So it's not smart for black Americans to go to a place where they are not protected. The Ghanaian goverment will not protect you if there's trouble, and the American government surely won't. African-Americans descend from people who fight back. Don't think being black is the only reason we have trouble in this country. I can't think of any African nation that has bucked up against the US. You don't want to be at the mercy of people who will side with your oppressor. Besides, we're in a time where relocating will not save you from destruction. This "back to Africa" thing is MLK's dream in blackface. Just...don't.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 AM

IF something DID jump-off in Africa, it would be a safe bet for any American to try to get to the American Embassy. On the
ground in everyday life you always COULD BE a potential victim of racism(in U.S.)
, know it when you see it, depending on the social context
fight back or run if need be or avoid potential situations in the U.S. , pay attention to your surroundings and watch peoples
body language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa