Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 PM

835 posts, read 318,398 times

Advertisements

Just visit suburban Paris for a taste of Morocco! The Liverpool and Real Madrid fans had a wonderful time getting beaten and robbed leaving the stadium in St. Denis this Summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 03:31 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Many folks that I have known that go to Morocco are photographers. Supposed to be a photographers dream come true!

Old 11-18-2022, 02:19 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
I just got back from Morocco (Casablanca - Marrakech/Agafay/High Atlas - Essaouira). While there's certainly a lot more to the country than we saw during our short trip, we can't wait to go back. It was stunningly beautiful and the people we interacted with were exceptionally friendly for the most part. We loved the food, shopping, people watching, and exploring. The prices, of course, were very favorable to Americans and Europeans.

I think the biggest surprise was how a lot of cautionary advice on the internet seemed to be a bit overblown. Particularly when it came to Marrakech and all of the scams/crimes to look out for. After scouring forums and blogs, we went in prepared to be exhausted by a bombardment of touts and pushy salespeople, on constant guard of our valuables, and having to yank our hands away from henna artists and push monkeys and snakes off of our shoulders in the main square. The reality was a whole lot different. There weren't many touts at all, the snake charmers, monkey handlers, and henna artists were very easy to avoid, and the shopkeepers were perfectly fine with a simple smile and "no thank you." And the shopkeepers we did engage with tended to have a great sense of humor. If you're not a fan of being "hassled" when you're walking down the street, I'd say even the worst of it in the souks and medinas was still far better than what I've experienced in India and SE Asia, Istanbul, touristy pockets of Mexico and the Caribbean, and even parts of East Africa. I could actually walk down the street or stand off to the side looking at my phone's map without being bothered.

Most people we interacted with seemed to be fans of Americans too (much more so than the European tourists which made up some 85-90% of tourists we encountered). One guy at our Riad in Marrakech was hoping to move to the states to become a truck driver, and several were quick to tell us about what they love about the U.S. (movies, music, sports, etc.).

The cab drivers everywhere were a bit of a challenge. We had zero luck getting any of them to use their meters. Thankfully, we were able to negotiate prices in advance that were probably double or triple the metered rate, but still extremely cheap (think: $3 to go 5 miles) compared to what we were used to, so no big deal. But really, it was an excellent experience and we'll absolutely be back. Oh, and yes... it's a photographer's dream.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 715,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I just got back from Morocco (Casablanca - Marrakech/Agafay/High Atlas - Essaouira). While there's certainly a lot more to the country than we saw during our short trip, we can't wait to go back. It was stunningly beautiful and the people we interacted with were exceptionally friendly for the most part. We loved the food, shopping, people watching, and exploring. The prices, of course, were very favorable to Americans and Europeans.

I think the biggest surprise was how a lot of cautionary advice on the internet seemed to be a bit overblown. Particularly when it came to Marrakech and all of the scams/crimes to look out for. After scouring forums and blogs, we went in prepared to be exhausted by a bombardment of touts and pushy salespeople, on constant guard of our valuables, and having to yank our hands away from henna artists and push monkeys and snakes off of our shoulders in the main square. The reality was a whole lot different. There weren't many touts at all, the snake charmers, monkey handlers, and henna artists were very easy to avoid, and the shopkeepers were perfectly fine with a simple smile and "no thank you." And the shopkeepers we did engage with tended to have a great sense of humor. If you're not a fan of being "hassled" when you're walking down the street, I'd say even the worst of it in the souks and medinas was still far better than what I've experienced in India and SE Asia, Istanbul, touristy pockets of Mexico and the Caribbean, and even parts of East Africa. I could actually walk down the street or stand off to the side looking at my phone's map without being bothered.

Most people we interacted with seemed to be fans of Americans too (much more so than the European tourists which made up some 85-90% of tourists we encountered). One guy at our Riad in Marrakech was hoping to move to the states to become a truck driver, and several were quick to tell us about what they love about the U.S. (movies, music, sports, etc.).

The cab drivers everywhere were a bit of a challenge. We had zero luck getting any of them to use their meters. Thankfully, we were able to negotiate prices in advance that were probably double or triple the metered rate, but still extremely cheap (think: $3 to go 5 miles) compared to what we were used to, so no big deal. But really, it was an excellent experience and we'll absolutely be back. Oh, and yes... it's a photographer's dream.
Were you on a tour? A guided tour?

Old 11-19-2022, 07:25 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,514,693 times
In 2023, Ramadan is Mar 21 - Apr 22. During that month, a tourist will have a narrower range of options.

The border with Algeria has been closed for decades, don't expect to pop cross sor a visit. Personally I like Algeria better, but it lacks Morocco's scenery.

One rude man in 100 will hassle a western woman, especially a blonde. That can add up to a daily nuisance. Get used to it, there will be no realharm. Bystanders will be on your side, if things esclate.

Muslims, as a rigid and honest article of faith, will treat you as an honored guest in their country. Accept it graciously.

Non-Muslims are not expected to act like Muslims or observe articles if their faith. But you'll have a nicer time if you show them respect for their culture. It is prohibited for them to try to convert you, and vice versa.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:21 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Were you on a tour? A guided tour?
No. On our own apart from the hired cars (just a driver, not a tour) between Marrakech and Agafay/Atlas and Essaouira. I just said "short trip" because we were only in the country for 8 days and obviously didn't get to much of the country.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:13 PM

9,874 posts, read 5,532,304 times
I've seen tours of some incredible courtyard homes in Morocco. From the outside it looks like you're walking into a tenement apartment building, and once inside it's absolutely cavernous. That's my kind of place -- the wife and I are thinking of incorporating some courtyard features into our home we intend to build in a few years if we can afford it. It might be cheaper to just buy the real thing in Morocco.

Old 12-28-2022, 04:10 PM

119 posts, read 69,538 times
thats for rich people,Morocco is a poor country.
I was watching how rich the King and crown prince are,the prince has many fancy cars,his own jet,yacht and summer homes,and Spain being a wealthier country,its king lives modestly

Old 12-30-2022, 05:50 AM

32,796 posts, read 12,078,698 times
I love Morocco .

Among other places, I've been to Tangier, Rabat, Casablanca, and Marrakesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa