Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 PM

511 posts, read 627,080 times

Advertisements

I bought this stone not certain what it says, and I'd really like to know. I was told it had something to do with love.

I'm assuming it's written in Arabic or Persian. Am I correct? And if not, do you know the language?

I wonder if it could be similar to Chinese in that it's written in the old archaic fashion and is difficult for the modern reader who hasn't studied the ancient classics the way the language was spoken and written centuries ago.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you read Persian or Arabic? What has been etched onto this stone?-love-stone-view-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
I believe this would be Asia, not Africa.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:36 AM

Thanks - I'll try the Asia c-d site, but Asia encompasses a whole lot of non-Arabic speaking countries, and I bet I get sent off to the Africa site! It's strange to think Saudi Arabia and the other Arabic speaking countries are technically in western Asia. But then, maybe it's just as strange to think Arabic speaking countries are in Africa? Somehow that one doesn't seem as odd to me.

I was hoping someone from one of the northern African countries would see my post and answer. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-03-2020, 07:15 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
Well, I don't speak any language that uses the Arabic script, but I handwrote the word into Google Translate (ووست دارم) and checked several common languages. Apparently, this means "my friend" in Urdu and "I love" in Persian. If you can trust Google Translate!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, I don't speak any language that uses the Arabic script, but I handwrote the word into Google Translate (ووست دارم) and checked several common languages. Apparently, this means "my friend" in Urdu and "I love" in Persian. If you can trust Google Translate!
OMG - So clever! It didn't occur to me to do what you did, but so clever, so clever! Thank you!

I bought the stone many years ago at a bazaar, and I vaguely remember the merchant being Persian and his telling me the stone said something about love. He couldn't read it completely, he told me, but he knew at least some part of it read love. It looks like you are spot on, saibot! Thank you again for your help.

I like the Urdu, too - "my friend" as well. If we combine the two, we have "my friend, love" or "love, my friend," but all around, it says the same thing. Thinking back to when I bought the stone, I was reluctant to buy something I couldn't read, but I connected with the merchant, an older man. I liked him and felt I could trust him. I suppose one reason is because he told me he couldn't make it out completely but knew that overall it said, "love."

Thanks, my friend, for your help!

Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 AM

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help, and I hope the computer-generated translations are accurate. The words make sense at least. That's a very nice memento!

Old 02-04-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help, and I hope the computer-generated translations are accurate. The words make sense at least. That's a very nice memento!
Well, it certainly looks like the translations are accurate given my experience with the merchant and what you came up with and how they support/corroborate each other.

You know, I didn't think to ask - which photo of the stone is right-side up? Is it the one on the top or the one on the bottom?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 PM

The one on the top is the correct orientation.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The one on the top is the correct orientation.
I thought the dots seemed to belong at the top. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa