Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 03:11 PM

239 posts, read 158,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Again, the only thing you know about the people in the picture you grabbed off the internet is that they are malnourished you don't know if they are carriers of a disease. You don't know why they are malnourished
Poverty is the root cause of disease, poverty of the people, poverty of the whole community.

Quote:
The World Health Report, 2002 states that diseases of poverty account for 45% of the disease burden in the countries with high poverty rate which are preventable or treatable with existing interventions. Diseases of poverty are often co-morbid and ubiquitous with malnutrition
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 03:22 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Poverty is the root cause of disease, poverty of the people, poverty of the whole community.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_of_poverty
If you want to change things up that is fine! Poverty is not the root cause of disease. It's not worth me arguing about this and you know this is not what was meant by the OP or yourself. In Africa while many people are perceived to be poor they are not all stricken with disease and some would not consider themselves poor (not until the come to the west), they are rich in many ways because they have communities that care for each other and share what they have.

In Africa and around the globe some poverty can not be helped because it can just be the mindset. In other cases and the majority of the time I'd say 85%, poverty and or diseases are due to the failure of the society and government which has failed its people especially when people are living in what is perceived to be a wealthy country! The people and their conditions have to take priority over wealth!

Old 03-14-2020, 03:54 PM

Also, I will add that it is pretty interesting where you got your image from, which does not represent all of the continent of Africa.

For those interested
https://libertywritersafrica.com/eur...bXjHOOXFzb3g4A

Many kids who live in humble conditions in Africa often look like this (Steph Curry in 2013)
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/04/...ids-in-africa/

Ironically he was at a refugee camp to provide nets to protect families from malaria, their bodies didn't look emaciated like the ones you purposely posted without thought to project stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZJhsgoNps

Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 PM

That is not where I got my image, but the site you quoted probably got it from the same place.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:39 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Lol, Bayareagirl, are you surprised that he'd pick the worst picture? Someone already pointed out the irony and bad timing of this discussion but yeah.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Lol, Bayareagirl, are you surprised that he'd pick the worst picture? Someone already pointed out the irony and bad timing of this discussion but yeah.
The image is just inappropriate to make a useless point for a subject this person know nothing about or cares about! I'm not surprised!

When you have Coronavirus and other diseases spreading everywhere in the wealthiest countries am not sure why this person is posting such nonsense.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
The image is just inappropriate to make a useless point for a subject this person know nothing about or cares about! I'm not surprised!
I have to correct you on this, I know a lot more about disease, malnutrition and poverty in West Africa than you appear to, I saw it first hand some years ago when I was working as an aid worker over there. I spent 18 months there before I too became ill and was repatriated home.

Comparing the poor in the USA, of which there are plenty, I've seen them also, to the impoverished people from impoverished countries in Africa is unreal.

You've not seen poverty till you've traveled and worked in such areas. I spent the majority of my time in Niger during the drought when the country was suffering massive crop failures, the people had no money, very little food and disease was rampant.

The people have nothing, the country has nothing, there is no running water, just a few wells, some of them polluted, there is no sewage system, and worst of all, almost nobody cares.

I don't know much about people from the Bay Area, but you certainly sound like a Essex Girl, know everything about everything, but really know nothing.
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYV7bsuSYO8

Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 03-15-2020 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I have to correct you on this, I know a lot more about disease, malnutrition and poverty in West Africa than you appear to, I saw it first hand some years ago when I was working as an aid worker over there. I spent 18 months there before I too became ill and was repatriated home.

Comparing the poor in the USA, of which there are plenty, I've seen them also, to the impoverished people from impoverished countries in Africa is unreal.

You've not seen poverty till you've traveled and worked in such areas. I spent the majority of my time in Niger during the drought when the country was suffering massive crop failures, the people had no money, very little food and disease was rampant.

The people have nothing, the country has nothing, there is no running water, just a few wells, some of them polluted, there is no sewage system, and worst of all, almost nobody cares.

I don't know much about people from the Bay Area, but you certainly sound like a Essex Girl, know everything about everything, but really know nothing.
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYV7bsuSYO8
Let me correct you, you are running around in circles debating diseases anyone can get. I am East African and have traveled and worked in many parts of Africa. I've feed and worked with homeless communities in and out of the US and over the years have made my children get involved (I might add there aren't many people that volunteer their time to do so) With many influential people in my family who are truly experts in their field that have brought their expertise around the globe including to Africa I am more than equipped to handle such conversations. I am basing many of my responses from experience. I'm not an expert on diseases but cannot let you claim that people in Africa just have diseases because they are poor or to infer that people in the US or West don't have them because they are wealthier cousins as you have put it is an argument I do not agree with or support. I don't have to agree with you and vice versa this is a board for communication sadly wrong information gets disseminated on purpose to continue and perpetuate negative stereotypes which is pathetic.

Does poverty exist in Africa of course it does, does it exist in the USA it does. Are there diseases in the West and in Africa of course there are. Who gets them and how they are spread there are too many similarities that I've already posted. You are missing points on purpose! The governments in Africa can get rid of many diseases as they do have the money to do so, they don't because for most of them it is not an issue. The diseases and virus is an issue for those that are visitors with weakier immunities and or it is not a priority for the government(s) to pay for as I have mentioned. To make my point even clearer some governments in Africa would rather pay for infrastructure to build roads rather than wipe out a disease/virus. In the US there are some parts of the country where poverty/homelessness is such an issue I thought I was back home (the poor people in other countries do share what they have with each other and probably most of the people you consider poor in Africa is by your Western standard). Get the point or do you want to keep arguing?

Also, poverty in Africa is going down while on the upswing in the US and with this new pandemic this will affect many people and will force many who are one paycheck away from it into poverty if this problem isn't resolved.

BTW, bayareagirl is just a user handle. Come up with something a bit more original when trying to insult someone expert! Everyone in Africa doesn't have a disease and if you think they do don't go. Poverty brings a host of issue but doesn't always equal disease. What disease/virus did you get malaria? That is not a poverty disease. Did you get ebola (which I doubt) again has nothing to do with poverty. Did you get yellow fever, you should have taken your shot and doubt you got this too. Which disease/virus did you get? I'll wait for you to google something. I can tell you at least 3 things you can get depending on what you eat or drink from street vendors and or if you don't clean your food or wash your hands. With views such as the one you have I can tell you have NEVER been to Africa.

Last edited by bayarea-girl; 03-16-2020 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-16-2020, 03:46 PM

I wish you would stop spreading miss information, the abject poverty in some parts of Africa is the root cause of the health problems. It is something we all need to address. The people have no money, the community has nothing and the Government has nothing to provide any services.

I took early retirement and worked as a volunteer with an aid agency. I worked mainly in food distribution. I became ill with malaria, even though I took precautions.

If you have been there, please stop downplaying the urgency of the situation facing those who have survived so far.

Sorry for the cheap shot with the Essex Girl comparison, but please stop minimising the situation being faced by the people involved.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I wish you would stop spreading miss information, the abject poverty in some parts of Africa is the root cause of the health problems. It is something we all need to address. The people have no money, the community has nothing and the Government has nothing to provide any services.

I took early retirement and worked as a volunteer with an aid agency. I worked mainly in food distribution. I became ill with malaria, even though I took precautions.

If you have been there, please stop downplaying the urgency of the situation facing those who have survived so far.

Sorry for the cheap shot with the Essex Girl comparison, but please stop minimising the situation being faced by the people involved.
So people can read all of your previous posts. I've not mislead anyone please point out a comment I made in doing so I'll wait. You do realize that in the USA you can get various diseases in food handling such as e coli, mad cow disease, salmonella, etc!. Now if I said that people in the US is getting these diseases because they are poor or make claims that it is a USA issue well I'd not be telling the truth and or would be minimizing the several reasons why one would be afflicted with anyone of these conditions.

I'm East African not everyone in Africa gets malaria and it is treatable. Getting malaria has nothing to do with being poor. If that was the case why are people in the USA getting malaria (I just learned about people in the USA getting this disease BTW and more shocking is than more people get it in the USA that people do in Nigeria). Most Africans develop an immunity to getting malaria and other disease I am one of those people (I know this from blood tests I've taken years ago).

I don't minimize why people in Africa are getting diseases or that they have them, I've explained why people are getting them and have also provided a lot of content about this matter. Did you read the previous posts? The biggest problems Africans face aren't diseases.

From 2000-2015 Top 10 Leading Causes of Death in Africa

Lower respiratory infections
HIV/AIDS
Diarrhoeal diseases
Stroke
Ischaemic heart disease
Tuberculosis
Malaria
Preterm birth complications
Birth asphyxia and birth trauma
Road injury
https://theatlas.com/charts/HkXJjrgOb

None of these situations is because the person is poor. Would be nice if they had recent data. Most Africans have TB and or have built up an immunity to it. Many are getting diabetes right now and are involved in more car accidents and I'm sure car accidents is higher on the list of deaths. My point is that you can't pinpoint these issues and say these issues are due to poverty, now if you say that people can't afford treatments or receive subpar care because they can't afford to be cared for, I would have less of an issue and it would be more accurate.

African countries are building like crazy and people are making a lot of money. Diseases Africans get if any are not high on the priority list of many of the African governments in part because it is not as huge as a problem Africans are facing as you are stating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa