Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 11:34 AM

89 posts, read 93,975 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 20s and my parents are in their late 40s. We used to live in the US for 2 years and now Europe (Ireland) for 11 years. In that time, I don't think I've seen my parents have a single close friend that was Irish or American (white).

We also don't live in a black neighbourhood, both times we've lived in middle class completely white neighbourhoods so that's puzzling. I myself have difficulty making friends and wonder if this could possibly be race. My parents say that's not an issue but for them, they don't have any friends from this country.

I have heard in real life and read online from other foreigners that Irish people are a hard bunch to break into their social circle when it comes to friendships. The analogy someone used is that they're like peaches. Really nice and friendly on the surface but have a protective shell in their core and won't invite you into their house. They only trust mates they've known from secondary school. Other countries are described as coconuts. They make seem hard, cold and distant on the outside but are really friendly on the inside once you get to know them.

Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I'm in my 20s and my parents are in their late 40s. We used to live in the US for 2 years and now Europe (Ireland) for 11 years. In that time, I don't think I've seen my parents have a single close friend that was Irish or American (white).

We also don't live in a black neighbourhood, both times we've lived in middle class completely white neighbourhoods so that's puzzling. I myself have difficulty making friends and wonder if this could possibly be race. My parents say that's not an issue but for them, they don't have any friends from this country.

I have heard in real life and read online from other foreigners that Irish people are a hard bunch to break into their social circle when it comes to friendships. The analogy someone used is that they're like peaches. Really nice and friendly on the surface but have a protective shell in their core and won't invite you into their house. They only trust mates they've known from secondary school. Other countries are described as coconuts. They make seem hard, cold and distant on the outside but are really friendly on the inside once you get to know them.

Is there any truth to this?
Sure just like Scandinavians ,but more south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa