Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 08:13 AM

315 posts, read 301,099 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. What would your suggestions be on hiring or implementing some type of security protection while visiting West Africa to decrease the probability of theft or security crisis (e.g. kidnapping) of some kind? Is there a recommended process that travelers and tourists have to go through to decrease the probability of these events or eliminate them entirely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 12:37 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Practice street smarts and take basic, commonsene precautions to include not traveling to isolated places at night, picking a secure hotel, not wearing flashy clothes or flashing fancy gadgets, etc. If you're really concerned about your security in West Africa, though, I wouldn't go. I plan to tour West Africa as soon as Covid is done. I plan to go to Ghana, so am not really concerned about my safety.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:00 PM

857 posts, read 845,219 times
Hmm. What country and what is the purpose of the trip (if you can post it here)? You can certainly reduce the risk of bad stuff happening to you by maintaining situational awareness, picking the right hotel, having someone you know locally, etc. etc. but ultimately you cannot eliminate all the risk in places like this. I have worked in some parts of West Africa, and would definitely not consider just going there for the sake of going, but that is just me.

At the very least, register with the embassy, review basic travel warnings for that specific country, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html which should have some basic reports (usually compiled annually) on common crimes, schemes targeting foreigners, etc.

Bottom line, as stated above, some spots in West Africa are rather 'rough' and unless you know the lay of the land, including someone locally (with juice) you can rely on, I would rethink this trip, if possible. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by MedvedActual; 12-07-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 03:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Don't go outside your hotel after dark. If you do , talk to your hotel staff about your plans. Pay attention to warnings. It gets dark at 6, all year. The people you want to meet are gone home, the rest are out looking for you.

Wear a good money belt 24/7, get used to sleeping in it, when you shower, put it where you can see it.

Otherwise,, Africa is just like anywhere else -- the great majority are helpful and on your side, but a few are not. Trust your good sense.

I just tried to piece together my dicey incidents, but they defy grouping. Just all dissimilar incidents. And I also foolishly trusted some people or blundered blindly into things, and got along finr.

A lot depends on who the Africans perceive you to be, and your reasos for going there.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:31 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
OP, I noticed you were recently in a thread here about dating, Don't even think about it. Africa will chew you up and spit you out, if you get involved in that.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:53 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Hi y'all. What would your suggestions be on hiring or implementing some type of security protection while visiting West Africa to decrease the probability of theft or security crisis (e.g. kidnapping) of some kind? Is there a recommended process that travelers and tourists have to go through to decrease the probability of these events or eliminate them entirely?
Is this for work? Your employer should handle security arrangements, I had some in S. Africa.
If for tourism and using a local tour or travel service, they should arrange it, including pickup at airport, transfers, etc. No problems.

If you are traveling alone - well you are on your own. You have to be very knowledgable about where you are, where you are going, where you are staying, who you are meeting, etc. In S. Africa even taking a taxi from the airport is a risky endeavor.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:16 PM

315 posts, read 301,099 times
hmm, great. my intentions are to stay at well populated neighborhoods or districts. I don't think this
matters on the name of the said country. Security precautions are security precautions and risks are risks.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:25 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,630,842 times
I know tons of people who have went to many different West African countries and never dealt with any issues. Contrary to popular belief there's countries in West Africa that are just like other places in the world. As a tourist you'll probably have to be on the lookout more for food poising(unintentional),polluted water and local vendors charging you more for a product because your a tourist. These things are pretty common in developing countries. Despite it's reputation there's parts of West Africa that feel safer than parts of America.

Only country were an associate of mine said they ran into a major incident was Nigeria. He was a DJ and went to Nigeria to do some promotion and while he was there he got robbed by the POLICE there. Said it was a pretty scary moment. Basically told him if they want to be safe throughout their stay than it was best for them to give them some money. I'd probably chill on going to Nigeria at the moment.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know tons of people who have went to many different West African countries and never dealt with any issues. Contrary to popular belief there's countries in West Africa that are just like other places in the world. As a tourist you'll probably have to be on the lookout more for food poising(unintentional),polluted water and local vendors charging you more for a product because your a tourist. These things are pretty common in developing countries. Despite it's reputation there's parts of West Africa that feel safer than parts of America.

Only country were an associate of mine said they ran into a major incident was Nigeria. He was a DJ and went to Nigeria to do some promotion and while he was there he got robbed by the POLICE there. Said it was a pretty scary moment. Basically told him if they want to be safe throughout their stay than it was best for them to give them some money. I'd probably chill on going to Nigeria at the moment.
Yeah it really depends on what country. I wouldn't recommend Nigeria or much of the Sahel at the moment. But even in Nigeria their are safe areas and areas that are dangerous. Ghana is pretty safe as well as Senegal and a long list of other countries mostly the smaller ones physically.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:10 PM

857 posts, read 845,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
hmm, great. my intentions are to stay at well populated neighborhoods or districts. I don't think this
matters on the name of the said country. Security precautions are security precautions and risks are risks.
I would disagree as someone who has worked overseas (mostly high-threat areas). It is like saying I am going to travel to the Middle East but disregard to mention I am going to Iraq vs. Jordan. Of course, I am overexaggerating, but you get the drift. No offense, but given your original post asking us for advice regarding 'some type of security protection' and then failing to acknowledge higher risks associated with a particular country... The level of security precautions will also depend on the level of threat with the latter very much associated with a particular country, part of the country, neighborhood, etc. Just speaking from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa