Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 10:49 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
There are North Africans though that phenotypically resemble Sub Saharan Africans. Now I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the Trans-Saharan trade or what. Their clearly had to be an interaction for both these paths to show up in my DNA and my only explanation would be through the Trans-Saharan slave trade. I'm just trying to connect the dots. The other half of my African dna is overwhelmingly West and Central African which is what I expected. Some Kenyan DNA which surprised me at first considering the Trans Atlantic slave trade was primarily regulated to the Westcoast of Africa but I assume the DNA shows up Kenyan as well due to the Bantu migration. Just didn't expect the North African/West Asia DNA to show up.
Did you test with 23andme? I know that myheritage has "Kenyan" as a proxy for Bantu, which for African Americans that would predominately indicate Central African ancestry. If you tested with 23andme and still scored some Kenyan, it also could stand as a proxy for ancestry from Tanzania, Mozambique, or Madagascar, considering those countries exported slaves to the Americas eventually. Also, I've noticed many African Americans(perhaps myself included) have various degrees of Southeast Asian ancestry via Madagascar, which 23andme categorizes under the East Asian & Native American label. It's also worth noting that Arabs had interactions with Madagascar long before the Europeans, and so West Asian DNA was absorbed into the local genome, though not nearly to the extent as Southeast Asian and Sub-saharan African. In most cases, when African Americans do see West Asian or North African ancestry on our results, it's typically through Spanish/Portuguese and/or Sub-Saharan African(especially Hausa-Fulani people in West Africa) ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 12:16 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Did you test with 23andme? I know that myheritage has "Kenyan" as a proxy for Bantu, which for African Americans that would predominately indicate Central African ancestry. If you tested with 23andme and still scored some Kenyan, it also could stand as a proxy for ancestry from Tanzania, Mozambique, or Madagascar, considering those countries exported slaves to the Americas eventually. Also, I've noticed many African Americans(perhaps myself included) have various degrees of Southeast Asian ancestry via Madagascar, which 23andme categorizes under the East Asian & Native American label. It's also worth noting that Arabs had interactions with Madagascar long before the Europeans, and so West Asian DNA was absorbed into the local genome, though not nearly to the extent as Southeast Asian and Sub-saharan African. In most cases, when African Americans do see West Asian or North African ancestry on our results, it's typically through Spanish/Portuguese and/or Sub-Saharan African(especially Hausa-Fulani people in West Africa) ancestry.
Took the test through Myheritage. And I figured considering the proximity that there was a North African-West Asian connection somewhere down the line which is why the West Asian showed up at 1.0%. I also consider the Hausa-Fulani people to be one of the theories as to why the North African DNA showed up.

Crazy cause I think it was one of your post awhile back that influenced me to get a dna test with myheritage. Fascinating stuff and makes things feel a little more complete while opening up more doors.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
THey were not black as some people would have you believe. The same people that also claim to be egyptian, isrealites, Olmecs, the real native americans etc etc. The real Moors were Berbers.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:12 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
THey were not black as some people would have you believe. The same people that also claim to be egyptian, isrealites, Olmecs, the real native americans etc etc. The real Moors were Berbers.
I would have to agree with you. Berbers are not black. Lots of them can pass as Europeans.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Took the test through Myheritage. And I figured considering the proximity that there was a North African-West Asian connection somewhere down the line which is why the West Asian showed up at 1.0%. I also consider the Hausa-Fulani people to be one of the theories as to why the North African DNA showed up.

Crazy cause I think it was one of your post awhile back that influenced me to get a dna test with myheritage. Fascinating stuff and makes things feel a little more complete while opening up more doors.
I remember you wanting to get an ancestry test, and I agree it makes things a little more complete. Since you've tested with MyHeritage, you can use their filtering tools to look up DNA cousin matches from outside of the US to help verify your ethnicity make up. MyHeritage is arguably the easiest when its come to searching for possible cousins from other countries, since more of its consumer base in relative to other companies are coming from outside of America.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
The Moors that lived on the Iberian peninsula that built up Al Andalus were a mixed population. We have archaic DNA samples of the Muslims found on the Iberian peninsula from the 10th-16th centuries. They were on average equal parts Native Iberians vs North African with a smaller Levantine component and a significantly smaller components from the Arabian peninsula and East Africa. Regarding the West African component 5% of the samples had that component. It ranges from 1/4-1/3 West African. One of them was from the 16th Century and had a West African mtDNA. Those of us with Iberian ancestry from either Portugal or Spain typically have a couple of very distant autosomal DNA matches with Moroccans and Algerians and when you look at the components of the shared segment it indicates exactly what I posted above equal parts Iberian vs North Africa with much smaller components of the others. The small amounts of Senegal/Gambia/Guinea you find in Iberians sometimes has nothing to do with the Moors on the Iberian peninsula it's from the Atlantic Slave trade. I've been at this over a dozen years looking at the data. These so Moors living in the USA(self identified). Have nothing to do with this heritage. They're idiots. In addition it wasn't simply the case that North Africans were taking Iberian women. The Muslims carried both Iberian and North African on their Y-DNA(paternal lineages) and mtDNA(maternal lineages).

Old 05-25-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The Moors that lived on the Iberian peninsula that built up Al Andalus were a mixed population. We have archaic DNA samples of the Muslims found on the Iberian peninsula from the 10th-16th centuries. They were on average equal parts Native Iberians vs North African with a smaller Levantine component and a significantly smaller components from the Arabian peninsula and East Africa. Regarding the West African component 5% of the samples had that component. It ranges from 1/4-1/3 West African. One of them was from the 16th Century and had a West African mtDNA. Those of us with Iberian ancestry from either Portugal or Spain typically have a couple of very distant autosomal DNA matches with Moroccans and Algerians and when you look at the components of the shared segment it indicates exactly what I posted above equal parts Iberian vs North Africa with much smaller components of the others. The small amounts of Senegal/Gambia/Guinea you find in Iberians sometimes has nothing to do with the Moors on the Iberian peninsula it's from the Atlantic Slave trade. I've been at this over a dozen years looking at the data. These so Moors living in the USA(self identified). Have nothing to do with this heritage. They're idiots. In addition it wasn't simply the case that North Africans were taking Iberian women. The Muslims carried both Iberian and North African on their Y-DNA(paternal lineages) and mtDNA(maternal lineages).
Thanks for sharing . It's an interesting topic for sure.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:05 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing . It's an interesting topic for sure.

If you take the Iberian peninsula out of the equation it's not a particularly interesting story. The apex of the culture was a fusion of Iberian/North African/Arab culture and was created on the Iberian peninsula. Black Americans claiming to be "Moors" need to find their own identity instead of hijacking other cultures history.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If you take the Iberian peninsula out of the equation it's not a particularly interesting story.
I agree.

Yeah the fake American moors are annoying, among other AA groups. A few months I was watching something on the news about BLM protestors. One of the protestors got on a megaphone and was yelling about BLM. I have no issue with them..BUT.... she sarted going on about how they were the original Native Americans, that they had been there for thousands of years since the Olmec days, no one questioned her, the crowd cheered.......I damn near spat out my drink!! I forget her name but even a certain American politician was repeating this crap.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:37 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
North African DNA isn't very often present in Aican Americans. A small part of the DNA of Spanish Americans often have some North African DNA, but most of that arrived in the Americas already mixed in the Spanish. It will be present even in mulattoes and mestizos from Spanish America. There are no historical migrations from North Africa to anywhere in the Americas. No Latino claims to be Moors despite often having a smart part of North African DNA. If that's the case with Latinos, then anyone with no North African DNA shouldn't be claiming to be Moors either. At that level you can't even say that a small part of you was handed down by the Moors either, because the DNA is simply not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa