Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:05 PM

295 posts, read 246,126 times

Advertisements

Anyone hear about the riots in Durban? I was shocked at the destruction. It made some U.S. riots I've seen look tame. Maybe some business owners will leave if their business was destroyed.

South Africa seems overpopulated to me. In some ways, it's similar to Australia with a narrow strip of fertile land on the east coast and west coast with desert land in the interior.

Australia only has 25 million compared to South Africa's 59 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 04:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
Anyone hear about the riots in Durban? I was shocked at the destruction. It made some U.S. riots I've seen look tame. Maybe some business owners will leave if their business was destroyed.

South Africa seems overpopulated to me. In some ways, it's similar to Australia with a narrow strip of fertile land on the east coast and west coast with desert land in the interior.

Overpopulation is hard to quantify. By my estimation, the entire globe is overpopulated. However, I don't think South Africa is overpopulated. There is no shortage of land and property values are fairly low. Now, if the entire population wanted to live the lifestyle of the whites or even something resembling the largest minority group, Coloureds, I think there would be a potential resource problem. South Africa's middle and upper-class suburbs are sprawling, much more so than even the infamous American housing developments. That I don't think is sustainable.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:33 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Why is the homicide rate so high on those Caribbean islands that are supposed to be fun-loving tropical paradises?
I'd imagine their wages are ridiculously low, and the cost of living is ridiculously high. Combine that with the drug trade moving through the Caribbean.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:04 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd imagine their wages are ridiculously low, and the cost of living is ridiculously high. Combine that with the drug trade moving through the Caribbean.
HDI and per capita GDP in The Bahamas are among the very highest in the Americas.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:12 PM

295 posts, read 246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Overpopulation is hard to quantify. By my estimation, the entire globe is overpopulated. However, I don't think South Africa is overpopulated. There is no shortage of land and property values are fairly low. Now, if the entire population wanted to live the lifestyle of the whites or even something resembling the largest minority group, Coloureds, I think there would be a potential resource problem. South Africa's middle and upper-class suburbs are sprawling, much more so than even the infamous American housing developments. That I don't think is sustainable.
Yeah, I mean overpopulated in the sense that there aren't enough resources for everyone to live the lifestyle of "1st world" people.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
, or
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post

Why? Those in other African countries aren't in immediate danger as South Africans are. Farm attacks are still very common, the last one I could find happened on July 21. 2020 saw 446 farm attacks and 77 farmers murdered, many times only after being subjected to horrific torture.
https://southafricatoday.net/south-a...thof-pretoria/

https://southafricatoday.net/south-a...-south-africa/
Well neighbouring Mozambique has Islamist fundamentalist occupying part of the country, Insurgency in the Maghreb where quite a number of countries in West Africa and North West Africa are going through, with terrorism and war. Boko Haram insurgency with conflict with Islamists in NIgeria and parts of West Africa. Congo is suffering a ongoing conflict which is going back since the 1980s and still plenty of people are being executed and uprisings still happen there.
Ethopia is suffering a civil war with millions of refugees fleeing and tens of thousands killed. Same with Somalia.

Yet you saying that other African countries are not as in immediate danger as South Africans are, or you mean White South Africans. So are you saying that South Africa is more dangerous than those countries I mentioned above?

Old 08-20-2021, 10:04 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's all part of the façade put together to support the tourism trade that is the bread and butter of these countries. In many Caribbean countries, they put up luxurious resorts that are fenced off and secluded. So tourists from the US, Canada and Europe visit and see nothing but luxury and Bob Marley chilling on the beach. But try going outside those resorts into the country where regular people live and it can be really dire. Lots of grinding poverty, high crime etc Now the tourists tucked away on the resorts dont see any of this so the image of these islands tends to be very positive. But reality is not.

Those high HDI and economic numbers can be misleading. Several of these Caribbean countries act as tax havens so lots of American and European wealthy people take up citizenship/permanent residency. Also bear in mind that most of these countries have very small populations. Off the top of my head only Jamaica and Trinidad have over a million people, the rest have much lower numbers. Now having say 500 multi millionaires counted in your population of say 80,000 people can really boost up your economic numbers even if the vast majority of that 80,000 people are in poverty. This is the case for many Caribbean countries.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:09 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
South Africa is one of Africa's most stable countries. It has its challenges, but the fearmongering is baseless. It is NOT on the verge of becoming a failed state.
May I quote you on that ?

Old 08-21-2021, 10:15 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post

Australia is one of the country's the minorities are trying for.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Australia is one of the country's the minorities are trying for.
Well only those that are young and have the skills and afford it come out to Australia. South Africans have immigrated in large numbers since the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa