Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 03:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,086 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of this newly formed bloc?
People's Democratic Republic of Algeria
Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Republic of South Africa

These 4 countries are among 4 of the 8 largest economies in Africa so their collective bargaining power and influence is expected to be significant. Too bad they do not include the other 4 important/major economies of Angola, Egypt, Kenya and Morocco.

https://www.addisherald.com/algeria-...cts-in-africa/
Algeria, Ethiopia, Nigeria and South Africa last week announced the formation of Group of Four Nations (G4) in Brussels, Belgium aiming to deal with various issues confronting Africa, and to strengthen the platform of the continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 02:03 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Republic of South Africa

These 4 countries are among 4 of the 8 largest economies in Africa so their collective bargaining power and influence is expected to be significant. Too bad they do not include the other 4 important/major economies of Angola, Egypt, Kenya and Morocco.

Algeria, Ethiopia, Nigeria and South Africa last week announced the formation of Group of Four Nations (G4) in Brussels, Belgium aiming to deal with various issues confronting Africa, and to strengthen the platform of the continent.
I'm hopeful that it pushes the continent forward especially these specific countries.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:50 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times
Quote:
Republic of South Africa

I'm from Nigeria. This sounds good, but I know for a fact that Nigeria at least has far too many problems internally (Boko Haram, wide spread corruption, etc) to be trying to deal with issues of other African countries. And any African bloc that does not include Egypt isnt really worth it. Perhaps they left Egypt out because that country is currently at loggerheads with Ethiopia over the GERD dam...who knows.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm from Nigeria. This sounds good, but I know for a fact that Nigeria at least has far too many problems internally (Boko Haram, wide spread corruption, etc) to be trying to deal with issues of other African countries. And any African bloc that does not include Egypt isnt really worth it. Perhaps they left Egypt out because that country is currently at loggerheads with Ethiopia over the GERD dam...who knows.
I think a Group of 8 will be better representation of each of the 5 major regions of Africa!

NORTHERN AFRICA
Algeria
Egypt
Morocco

EASTERN AFRICA
Ethiopia
Kenya

WESTERN AFRICA
Nigeria

CENTRAL AFRICA
Angola

SOUTHERN AFRICA
South Africa

Old 04-14-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I think a Group of 8 will be better representation of each of the 5 major regions of Africa!

NORTHERN AFRICA
Algeria
Egypt
Morocco

EASTERN AFRICA
Ethiopia
Kenya

WESTERN AFRICA
Nigeria

CENTRAL AFRICA
Angola

SOUTHERN AFRICA
South Africa
Algeria and Morocco are not on good terms because of Western Sahara. So you would have to pick one or the other but not both as they wont get along.

Angola only recently emerged from a 30 year civil war. Not sure they will have the appetite for it.

South Africa is probably the only country that I think is stable enough (relative to the other countries) to be able to serve in this capacity.

I would have nominated Ethiopia over Kenya as they are the heavyweight in the Horn of Africa region, but it seems they are now having some issues as well internally.

Egypt is probably the other that is somewhat stable but the sabre rattling they are doing over that dam in Ethiopia (even hinting at bombing the dam or financing rebels) would probably destroy any reputation they have with the rest of Africa.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Algeria and Morocco are not on good terms because of Western Sahara. So you would have to pick one or the other but not both as they wont get along.

Angola only recently emerged from a 30 year civil war. Not sure they will have the appetite for it.

South Africa is probably the only country that I think is stable enough (relative to the other countries) to be able to serve in this capacity.

I would have nominated Ethiopia over Kenya as they are the heavyweight in the Horn of Africa region, but it seems they are now having some issues as well internally.

Egypt is probably the other that is somewhat stable but the sabre rattling they are doing over that dam in Ethiopia (even hinting at bombing the dam or financing rebels) would probably destroy any reputation they have with the rest of Africa.
Do you know why Senegal often gets representation in major international forums or summits even though it has a relatively small population of about 17.6 million?

Number of times African countries have been invited to past G20 summits:
Official member : South Africa
7 times : Ethiopia / Senegal
3 times : Rwanda
Twice : Egypt / Malawi
Once : Benin / Chad / D. R. Congo / Equatorial Guinea / Guinea / Mauritania / Nigeria / Zimbabwe

The World Health Organization has designated 6 African countries for vaccine production: Egypt / Kenya / Nigeria / Senegal / South Africa / Tunisia

Senegal is 1 of the 2 African countries (the other being South Africa) invited by Germany to attend the G7 summit this year: https://pipanews.com/germany-conside...age-pipa-news/

Old 04-15-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Do you know why Senegal often gets representation in major international forums or summits even though it has a relatively small population of about 17.6 million?

Number of times African countries have been invited to past G20 summits:
Official member : South Africa
7 times : Ethiopia / Senegal
3 times : Rwanda
Twice : Egypt / Malawi
Once : Benin / Chad / D. R. Congo / Equatorial Guinea / Guinea / Mauritania / Nigeria / Zimbabwe

The World Health Organization has designated 6 African countries for vaccine production: Egypt / Kenya / Nigeria / Senegal / South Africa / Tunisia

Senegal is 1 of the 2 African countries (the other being South Africa) invited by Germany to attend the G7 summit this year: https://pipanews.com/germany-conside...age-pipa-news/
I honestly have no idea. Senegal was for the most part a low action country, nothing unusual going on over there as far as I know. But if I was going to pick a country from West Africa for anything it would be Ghana. That country has really become the most stable country in the region. Democracy is working well there, and there is peace and security. I hear now that wealthy Nigerians will move to Ghana to live and work instead of Nigeria.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:59 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
I honestly have no idea. Senegal was for the most part a low action country, nothing unusual going on over there as far as I know. But if I was going to pick a country from West Africa for anything it would be Ghana. That country has really become the most stable country in the region. Democracy is working well there, and there is peace and security. I hear now that wealthy Nigerians will move to Ghana to live and work instead of Nigeria.
Senegal is very close to France. Wouldn't be surprised if France pulled some strings to get them in. Ghana has been one of the top performers in Africa, with an economy growing 10% every year. Doesn't appear to be inflicted with severe tribal/religious tension seen in Nigeria, and the government as you mentioned has been remarkably stable. While corruption is present, it doesn't appear to be to the same degree as other West African countries. Had the opportunity to visit the country last year to see first had. Never felt unsafe, even when going into the poor areas. If they keep things up, and solve the brain drain situation they can become a true force on the continent.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Senegal is very close to France. Wouldn't be surprised if France pulled some strings to get them in. Ghana has been one of the top performers in Africa, with an economy growing 10% every year. Doesn't appear to be inflicted with severe tribal/religious tension seen in Nigeria, and the government as you mentioned has been remarkably stable. While corruption is present, it doesn't appear to be to the same degree as other West African countries. Had the opportunity to visit the country last year to see first had. Never felt unsafe, even when going into the poor areas. If they keep things up, and solve the brain drain situation they can become a true force on the continent.
My brother in law and his wife seriously explored the idea of relocating to Ghana for work since they were trying to see if they could work remotely. The wife and 3 kids spent a summer in Ghana. They enjoyed it. Turns out the job situation didnt work out for the remote working permanently so they returned to the US. That being said, you really need a good income source to enjoy living there. So I dont know if someone from the US with low or no funds should consider it as it's not possible to find odd jobs that will provide enough income to enjoy the standard of living an American would be accustomed to.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
My brother in law and his wife seriously explored the idea of relocating to Ghana for work since they were trying to see if they could work remotely. The wife and 3 kids spent a summer in Ghana. They enjoyed it. Turns out the job situation didnt work out for the remote working permanently so they returned to the US. That being said, you really need a good income source to enjoy living there. So I dont know if someone from the US with low or no funds should consider it as it's not possible to find odd jobs that will provide enough income to enjoy the standard of living an American would be accustomed to.
True, not to take away from the good things they are doing there, but it's still a developing country. Any Western person seeking to move will need patience and a "go with the flow" mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa