Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
ai will be disproportionately affected by climate change. rising sea levels and increased temperatures don’t get along with electronics. also if power has to be rationed what will they do then?
You'll sit in the dark and eat bugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 08:27 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know Trader Joe's made a statement that they will always use human cashiers. There could be some push back to going automated. If people refuse to shop at fully automated stores.
There are more people using the self checkout then using cashiers these days..

My Walmart has 2 human cashiers and 2 corrals of self checkouts at either end.

10 self checkouts and 2 human cashiers.

I showed a friend how to use the self checkout. She had bananas and I knew they were "4011" but I showed her how to look it up.
Adjust, adapt or be left behind.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:33 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,105,850 times
This shift to AI in the consumer sector will free up a lot of young people for military service in WWIII. It’s time for all those gamers to put on their socks and shoulder real weapons!

Old 03-06-2023, 09:14 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There are more people using the self checkout then using cashiers these days..

My Walmart has 2 human cashiers and 2 corrals of self checkouts at either end.

10 self checkouts and 2 human cashiers.

I showed a friend how to use the self checkout. She had bananas and I knew they were "4011" but I showed her how to look it up.
Adjust, adapt or be left behind.
At this point there is not large a displacement of workers that is obvious to everyone. And there still seems to be a worker shortage in retail. But if that changes and a large amount of those who worked these jobs are out of work, sentiment might turn against some parts of automation. Who knows. I think there will be a point when businesses using the fact humans still work there as a selling point for whatever business they are in.

I am in a smaller town in Oklahoma but we have a Walmart. I couple years ago I always used the self checkout because there was never a line. I would look down and see big lines with the human cashiers. Now its often flip flopped. Big line in self check out and if I walk down to the last human cashier sometimes no line at all. I will go wherever I can get out of there the fastest.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:26 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
There’s a saying that these tech companies apparently aren’t aware of. “Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should”. They forget who holds the power in the United States of America. It’s the people. If the people see all of their jobs taken by robots? We will simply vote to change policy in-laws. And the corporations that think they run things will be taxed into oblivion so we can sit home and live off of their neat little inventions.
I wish it was so... but there is way too much evidence that it isn't... and never was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So humans are going to be put out to pasture?
Hopefully... that or the glue factory.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:06 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,610,481 times
Hollywood Writers on Strike Grapple with AI’s Role in Creative Process

Even Hollywood's elite, such as Joe Russo, the filmmaker and producer behind Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, foresee a future where AI "engineers storytelling" in movies, potentially replacing human writers with AI-generated content:

So potentially, what you could do with it is obviously use it to engineer storytelling and change storytelling. So you have a constantly evolving story, either in a game or in a movie, or a TV show. You could walk into your house and save the AI on your streaming platform. “Hey, I want a movie starring my photoreal avatar and Marilyn Monroe's photoreal avatar. I want it to be a rom-com because I've had a rough day,” and it renders a very competent story with dialogue that mimics your voice. It mimics your voice, and suddenly now you have a rom-com starring you that's 90 minutes long. So you can curate your story specifically to you.”

https://www.artisana.ai/articles/hol...eative-process

Old 05-03-2023, 07:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,462,786 times
AI does not exist, and it never will. What passes for "AI" is garbage like chatbots, or email/text auto responses. And no, technology will never replace human work. I mean for Christs sake, we still have flesh and blood people operating the toll booths.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:24 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
AI does not exist, and it never will. What passes for "AI" is garbage like chatbots, or email/text auto responses. And no, technology will never replace human work. I mean for Christs sake, we still have flesh and blood people operating the toll booths.
And those humans are being replaced by systems reading and electronic signal as you pass through and are in effect back up for the robot arms. It is only a matter of time before folks lock out those who refuse the chip, fob or card and want to depend upon cash

Old 05-03-2023, 07:53 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,828,112 times
I don't think AI will replace all work. There are too many egotistical, narcissistic and lazy people in the workplace who need the support and supply that underlings bring to them. AI isn't going to stroke their egos like a live person will.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:56 AM

25,820 posts, read 18,857,526 times
And what will replace AI when it becomes lazy and doesn't want to work anymore? Perhaps it will develop AAI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI