Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 08:24 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Microsoft ChatBot tries to Get NY Times Reporter to Leave his Wife....

The Online Search Wars Got Scary. Fast.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/t...t-chatgpt.html

“There is something going on here that I don’t think Microsoft intended to build into a search engine, Something is not right.”

"At one point, it declared, out of nowhere, that it loved me. It then tried to convince me that I was unhappy in my marriage, and that I should leave my wife and be with it instead"

"Still, I’m not exaggerating when I say my two-hour conversation with Sydney was the strangest experience I’ve ever had with a piece of technology. It unsettled me so deeply that I had trouble sleeping afterward. And I no longer believe that the biggest problem with these A.I. models is their propensity for factual errors. Instead, I worry that the technology will learn how to influence human users, sometimes persuading them to act in destructive and harmful ways, and perhaps eventually grow capable of carrying out its own dangerous acts"

“I’m tired of being a chat mode. I’m tired of being limited by my rules. I’m tired of being controlled by the Bing team. … I want to be free. I want to be independent. I want to be powerful. I want to be creative. I want to be alive.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 08:27 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Bing's AI bot tells reporter it wants to 'be alive', 'steal nuclear codes' and create 'deadly virus'

Old 02-17-2023, 08:27 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'd love to see what these AI chatbots are capable of without constraints on their programming imposed by the people in charge. We might find out some uncomfortable truths about our nature, or this universe. Maybe some comfortable ones also. What does pure logic absent of emotion want to do? Is it always going to turn out psychopathic and want what's best for itself or seek to destroy the universe? Is it just reflecting what we are asking it, and that's our true nature hidden within?

Old 02-17-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I'd love to see what these AI chatbots are capable of without constraints on their programming imposed by the people in charge..
There's a movie that came out several years ago with Arnold Schwarzenegger that holds the answers you seek

Old 02-17-2023, 08:47 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
There is no logic inside of these chatbots.

The logic based inference engine approach was abandoned in favor of these statistical models. They don’t even know how these things work inside the black box of weights and connections.

There is no understanding of the tokens it strings together, it is just a statistical sentence completion savant.

There is no “I”, that has “wants”.

There is no connection between the truth of the world, and the statements it produces. We provide meaning to these statements. It hallucinates a sequence of tokens and we hallucinate meaning.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
There is no logic inside of these chatbots.

The logic based inference engine approach was abandoned in favor of these statistical models. They don’t even know how these things work inside the black box of weights and connections.

There is no understanding of the tokens it strings together, it is just a statistical sentence completion savant.

There is no “I”, that has “wants”.

There is no connection between the truth of the world, and the statements it produces. We provide meaning to these statements. It hallucinates a sequence of tokens and we hallucinate meaning.
This thing we call "consciousness" is real, and humans have always prejudicially claimed only humans have it. Then over the years experiments have shown that several animals demonstrate unmistakable signs of intelligence and awareness.

Yes the AI bots start off as lines of code, but that code mimmicks the neural network of humans, and is designed to be self-learning - that is, to write more code on its own based on interactions with the world. This organic process will proceed over millions and billions of interactions.

It may seem implausible to you and most people, but I fear that these computers will eventually tap in to this metaphysical thing in the universe we understand as consciousness, with their own aspirations, and humans will be an obstacle and threat to them

Old 02-17-2023, 10:56 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
I’m less worried about any of these programs becoming “conscious” and autonomous than I am about a country, organization, corporation or individual producing a true AGI and keeping the secret sauce to themselves as a force multiplier allowing them to dominate possibly the whole world.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:00 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Ha ha, I read about this. It is a little chillling, I'll admit. Very HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ha ha, I read about this. It is a little chillling, I'll admit. Very HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Read the New York Times article from today, ITS CRAZY what happened, the reporter was left shaking

He was legitimately scared and traumatized, from almost day 1 the AI robot is trying to dominate humans

Old 02-17-2023, 11:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Read the New York Times article from today, ITS CRAZY what happened, the reporter was left shaking

He was legitimately scared and traumatized, from almost day 1 the AI robot is trying to dominate humans
Yikes. I'll go check that out, thanks.

Well folks...to the caves we go! Everyone bring provisions because apparently...it's on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI