Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 09:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 553,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
AI or robotics?

AI doesn't have a physical component in and of itself. I suppose AI could replace the drive through window attendant who takes orders, and just display orders on a screen after interacting with the customer, but you would still need a robot of some sort to deliver the meal.
I suppose he means the kiosks that take your order inside. Food prep isn't quite there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I find it interesting that with AI being used in colleges by students to cheat, there is now AI software to detect the use of AI.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/be...ng-plagiarism/

Old 05-20-2023, 09:14 PM

683 posts, read 853,056 times
I like a lot of these automated jobs. Self check out is awesome. Most people don't even that it's been around for over 20 years. Used it in Winn Dixie in 2002 in Miami.

Seems like every few decades someone says all these jobs are going to disappear and they are still here.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:10 PM

1,579 posts, read 948,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Anyone here actually used ChatGPT?

I have, and it is pretty pathetic.

The way it is advertised with dazzling displays related to VERY specific applications where they have plenty of time to make it all look marvelous is misleading.

Try using it for something applicable to a real world problem and you get responses which are no better, and generally worse, than a simple google search.

Pffft. Call me in a few years and let's see how it is going. I'll wait.

I got it to crash which I think was funny.

It's okay, but not perfect. the best part was I got it to write a funny essay about my dog. But the essay was pretty formulaic. But with most everything else, like you, I thought it just seemed like a more robust version of a search engine (but just not up-to-date on anything).

Old 05-23-2023, 07:55 AM

3,188 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I find it interesting that with AI being used in colleges by students to cheat, there is now AI software to detect the use of AI.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/be...ng-plagiarism/
You can use chatGPT to help you plagiarize but not write something original. Since Chatbots are designed to mimick not create originality.

Any professor who is an expert in the field will spot the copy.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's likely in 3-4 years from now many repetitive jobs that are low tech will be eliminated completely by ChatGPT or AI.
3-4 years? More like 12-20. AI hasn't come very far. And we're not yet at the point of Terminator robots or even serving robots. In limited areas, floor cleaning robots, some automated baggage handling and warehouse, again limited

Quote:
Take ordering food, AI can easily answer questions or explain options with the menu items more consistent than humans.
How will AI deal with a customer who is complaining? When their order IS done incorrectly? Or the customer goes behind the counter?

Quote:
Processing any paperwork like applications, general questions with filing papers, etc will all be done by AI.
Some is already done, I know that some companies use "keyword" hits. The more you have the better your chances. But then it's still a fight to get hired.

Quote:
Legal, tech, and even medical questions and answers can be done with Chatbots to gather the data and processed before someone reviews and approve prescriptions, tech work, or approving loans etc.
That's so far into the future, even you may not see it. I've read several medical books written by doctors in which they said that they had classic cases of cancer but had every reason to ignore it. A lot of people aren't going to risk their lives with some chatbot.

Quote:
ChatGPT also makes excellent online tutors, lecturers, and presenters if there's a seminar, online course, or selling a product it can act more lifelike than watching a video.
Students come in various sizes it's not a one size fits all you will have some who are a little lower IQ much higher IQ or right in the line with the AI presentation some will be left behind some will be bored.

Of course on the side of selling AI that's kind of cool because then you ain't making any extra because after all why should the manager pay AI a bonus?

Quote:
AI can also solve real life problems like directing traffic at an intersection better than dumb pop-up signs.
Did you just come from the 1950's ? They still use in them in some locations, relics of a bygone era where you could gone to McDonald's buy the family a meal for less than $5 and get change back. . But you obviously missed out that "Roundabouts" are the current craze.

QUOTE=MKTwet;65274233]
I'm with businesses that are looking into how to utilize AI to generate new leads and services.[/quote]

How about first making sure it operates "Flawlessly" before shoving the current method aside.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's going to be everywhere soon...
My husband just showed me some AI generated bodybuilders. He converts pictures and videos for websites. People pay to see training routines and posing routines. These were AI generated.

The women, other than the bodies, are attainable looking. I believe real women are better looking than AI generated women. Any AI generated man, well guys, I hate to inform you, but after years of women being pressured to look like fashion or fitness models, your standards are through the roof.

Google AI perfect man. Thick wavy dark hair, chiseled face and jaw, gorgeous eyes and ripped body and impossible abs. Have fun when these images appear as the standard image of a man. I feel for the younger generation.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:14 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
It'll be fun to see one AI bot debate another AI bot.

If it is the end of humankind, we'll be gone before that.

Prior to the end of humans though, I think what'll happen is that a larger swath of the world (like over 50% of the population, so most people) will no longer be needed as workers. So I guess that means a universal income and a lot more free time to do good or bad with. And then there'll be a portion of the population that is suitable for some sort of work and those will be the elite people who will have the universal income AND another income so they will have fancier homes and things. It's gonna be wild.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
In that scenario, if people were to still be here, the Elite people would use the AI robots to wipe out the rest of the population on basic income (useless feeders). Then they will use AI assisted plastic surgery to attain the AI perfect person look. AI will regenerate organs and brain cells. AI and perfect humans will work and live together to create perfect stuff. Anyone or animal born or existing outside of the perfect realm would be eliminated.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:46 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Sounds like an advertisement. No thanks.

Technology is good, but not when it takes jobs away from people.
For many centuries, people have worried about this issue.

For example, there is the classic story of the invention of the automatic knitting machine back in the 16th Century. At a time when technology in the textile industry meant spinning wheels and hand looms, clergyman William Lee invented a machine that could knit stockings.

In 1589, Lee applied for a Royal Patent for his knitting machine. Queen Elizabeth I of England was extremely alarmed and said:
"Consider thou what the invention [of the automatic knitting machine] would do to my poor subjects. It would assuredly bring them to ruin by depriving them of employment and thus make them beggars.
The above is from "History of the Framework Knitters" written by Gravenor Henson back in 1831 in England. Hensen's thesis was that hosiery, lace and all other industries must be regulated by the government so as to maintain a decent standard of living for the workers and fair conditions of trade, that British industries must be protected from direct foreign competition and, more particularly, from industrial espionage, migration of skilled workmen to other countries, and export of innovative machinery such as the knitting machine.

Clearly, the world didn't quite turn out the way either The Queen or Gravenor Henson feared. As a direct result of technical innovation, productivity went up, GDP went up, the standard of living went up, and there was no widespread unemployment or starvation as a result of automatic weaving and knitting machines. Just the opposite, of course: more people were raised out of abject poverty as a result of the disruption as far more jobs were created than destroyed.

That is the history of technical innovation: more jobs have always been created than destroyed.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI