Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,964 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from Dallas to OH. Interested in opinions about Hudson vs Medina, and quality of Public vs Private schools in both areas. Recommendations of private schools are welcome. We have looked at Seton Catholic and Old Trail. My husband's office is in Akron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,189 times
I grew up in Hudson, Ohio - it's a great place. What it offers that places like Bath and Fairlawn/Copley don't is a preserved historical district - there are strict rules governing what kind of changes you can make to the center of the town. Crime is a rarity - children can comfortably explore the center of the town on their own - I started from age 8 or so. I attended Old Trail School - it's a bit snobby (there's this mentality that you have to own the latest ski jacket and wear Ralph Lauren Polo shirts) and on the other side of the Cuyahoga valley from Hudson. Some of my friends attended Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (K-12), which seemed friendlier. There's also a Montessori school in Hudson. As far as high schools go (Old Trail is K-8), Walsh Jesuit High School emphasizes sports, so it's kind of a jock school, although their SAT scores are high - they were higher than Western Reserve's when I attended - for a year before our family left the state. Western Reserve Academy is beautiful, has excellent teaching and is rather expensive, but it's located in town. Both Walsh and CVCA are in Bath, near 'Old' Route 8. Medina is a cute place although it's kind of far from Akron or Cleveland. If you're working in Cleveland, the area immediately east of Shaker Heights is rather upmarket - Gates Mills is (was?) the wealthiest town in the state, and Chagrin Falls is a rather nice place. Willoughby Hills and Solon are nice. The 2010 census data is coming out on census.gov relatively soon so you'll be able to make direct comparisons in terms of educational attainment and whatnot. I hope this was helpful.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twaj View Post
Gates Mills is (was?) the wealthiest town in the state, and Chagrin Falls is a rather nice place.
Nope, Hunting Valley(Cleveland's east side) was the wealthiest town in Ohio in terms of per capita income. Gates Mills is fourth after Kirtland Hills(both on Cleveland's east side as well).

Six of the ten wealthiest towns in Ohio are located in Northeast Ohio(Cleveland/Akron area). I'm also curious to see how this has changed since the last census.

I also agree in regards to Chagrin Falls(heh, Cleveland's east side again). Great area.

I'm not sure what you're used to back in Texas, but you can't go wrong with the public schools in any of these towns.

Most of the upscale communities in Northeast Ohio were a part of what was called the "Connecitcut Western Reserve". That explains the very picturesque little squares that you find in places like Hudson. A lot of them have that "New England charm".

And don't worry, they are all snobby enough that you will be constantly reminded how lucky you are not to be stuck in the city or out in Medina(read: Mayberry). Hudson is particularly notorious for this mindset.

Ohio locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd also suggest Bath township or Montrose-Ghent. Both are closer to Akron than Hudson, and are probably are little more upper crust, but without trying as hard as Hudson.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I lived in Medina County and it is very rural compared to the other places you mentioned. You should choose Medina over the other places only if you are interested in a more rural, less pretentious lifestyle.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
I don't feel like debating the merits of Hudson vs Medina, but I can't think of any reason in the world why one would want to waste money on private schools if Hudson or Medina are their public options.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM

56 posts, read 83,416 times
Default My experience in Medina

I was born and raised in Medina. My childhood was filled with a great balance of small-town sensibilities and culture. Cleveland is a 30 minute drive, which made Saturday and Sunday trips to Little Italy, the West Side Market and the museums, special and appreciated. Akron is about 20-30 minutes, depending on your destination. West Akron has a fun and funky vibe with great classic architecture thrown in.

I graduated from Medina High School and was classmates with someone that helped build the first solar car. I am an engineer by trade and have done some Doctoral work. I do believe that Medina still has an amazing public school system. After having traveled the globe and lived in 3 different countries, I would have loved to raise my children in Medina. It's historical treasures and the architecture that the community has sought to preserve are show-cased by the local historical society. The hardware store on the square is still owned by the same family that owned it when I was a child.

The sports programs are huge, boasting a soccer facility with indoor and outdoor fields. There are at least a few gymnastics and dance studios that are internationally recognized. Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals also take up quite a bit of real estate on the east side of town on rt. 18.

Yes, we still have Target, Hobby Lobby, the big box stores and the chain restaurants if that is what floats your boat :-)

I'm not interested into a competition over which town is better because only your family can truly determine which area is best for you. I suggest you do your homework and come up for a visit before deciding, if that is feasible. I can say that I have been to Hudson a few times and didn't feel the area made much of an impression on me one way or the other that I would say anything negative or positive. If you want to know what the crime is, you can google crime statistics in both areas but I don't believe there is much crime in Medina. There was still NO crime there the last time I asked around.

Also look into Copley, Bath, Ghent, Montrose, the Wallhaven area of Fairlawn, Merriman Valley and Highland Square areas.

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,926 times
Default Moving companies help in stressfull situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh0210 View Post
We are planning to move from Dallas to OH. Interested in opinions about Hudson vs Medina, and quality of Public vs Private schools in both areas. Recommendations of private schools are welcome. We have looked at Seton Catholic and Old Trail. My husband's office is in Akron.

I've been living through all over the country and I know how it is difficult and stressful to find an appropriate place where to live. I lived in Medina it is not bad city also i like Akron, Canton, Cortland, Cleveland areas.However as i found to find a good pace for living is not so stressfull as moving process. I ve been moving a lot of times and i know how it is difficult. And i was very happy when i found the great place and the best moving services provider company Your Right Move LLC. They took care of all my stuff without any damages. They didnt have a truck, but they drove one which i rented prefectly, because i was at work. their website YOUR RIGHT MOVE LLC, rightmovellc@gmail.com, Twitter, Your Right Move LLC - Mover - Niles, OH | Facebook, 330-502-0276

They can help you to unload your truck in Medina or wherever or whenever you want 150 miles around Niles Ohio

Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
To review...Either place is super if you want public school. If you want private schools, then you probably want Hudson, since it's closer to most of the primo private schools.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 11,951 times
If you can afford it. Move to hudson and send your kids to western reserve
hudson and private schools hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton