Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,189 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am 26yrs old relocating to the Akron area. I will be working in Orrville, OH and commuting each day.

I currently live in Southern, KY and own my own home. It is brick, 1800sq ft, 3bed/2bath, hardwood and tile throughout, upgraded appliances and light fixtures). My current home value is in the range of $185,000 and I am comfortable with the payments.
I am searching for luxury apartments (ie private garage, granite counters, stainless appliances, upgraded light fixtures) or housing comparable to what I have now. I have visited the Fairlawn area and like that area.

Property taxes are significantly more expensive in the Akron area than KY and I am not sure of the resale market in the area.

Can anyone advise me as to where I should be looking for a nice place to live for a young single professional who lives a fitness oriented lifestyle. I just don't know enough about the area to find anything.

I have looked at Northside lofts, but they are a little out of my budget. Probably too far of a commute also.

Thanks for any help anyone may offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabor11 View Post
Hello all!

I am 26yrs old relocating to the Akron area. I will be working in Orrville, OH and commuting each day.

I currently live in Southern, KY and own my own home. It is brick, 1800sq ft, 3bed/2bath, hardwood and tile throughout, upgraded appliances and light fixtures). My current home value is in the range of $185,000 and I am comfortable with the payments.
I am searching for luxury apartments (ie private garage, granite counters, stainless appliances, upgraded light fixtures) or housing comparable to what I have now. I have visited the Fairlawn area and like that area.

Property taxes are significantly more expensive in the Akron area than KY and I am not sure of the resale market in the area.

Can anyone advise me as to where I should be looking for a nice place to live for a young single professional who lives a fitness oriented lifestyle. I just don't know enough about the area to find anything.

I have looked at Northside lofts, but they are a little out of my budget. Probably too far of a commute also.

Thanks for any help anyone may offer!

You can get plenty for $185,000. I guess a good direction to go is what type of neighborhood or city are you looking for. Rural, exurban, suburban, city? How closed do you need to be to a major shopping area? Do you need to be near 20-somethings (i.e. University or post-U) or are you OK in a run of the mill neighborhood? Like, there's a big difference in being at Northside Lofts vs. being in an 1800 sq ft ranch in Wadsworth.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 PM

I grew up in a rural area and I really don't ever want to go back. My current location has a population of 55,000 people. We have some shopping , a mall, and a variety if restuarants. I currently live in a suburban development about 3 miles from shopping. I trully don't have any experience living in a large city setting, but I'm definitaly open to it. I would say that suburban near major shopping and restuarants and a short drive from the heart of the city would be most similiar to where I live now, but I'm definitaly interested in lIving in the city. Thanks for your help!!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,153 times
Based on what you have written, I would say that Fairlawn is your best bet. Its a nice area - crazy close to everything imaginable - and safe.
I lived there for 2 years and altho it was nice, I'm just not a fan of suburbia. But, I still recommend it to anyone given what I know of it.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 PM

Are there any nice apt complexes anyone knows of in the Fairlawn area or newer construction? Everything I find is older. I appreciate the recommendation. I hve stayed at the fairlawn Hilton and enjoyed the area. I just didn't know if there were any similar areas. Any good gyms close to that area?

Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Are there any nice apt complexes anyone knows of in the Fairlawn area or newer construction? Everything I find is older. I appreciate the recommendation. I hve stayed at the fairlawn Hilton and enjoyed the area. I just didn't know if there were any similar areas. Any good gyms close to that area?
Newer complexes are probably listed as being in Copley. That's off my radar though so I don't have any names for you. I would try to hunt down one of those apartment listings magazines, they usually have the large complexes listed.

You could also try looking in Cuyahoga Falls - you have a much wider variance of building styles and ages and prices.

Merriman Valley also has some newer apartment complexes, although I preface that by saying Timber Top seems to always get the thumbs down from people I've talked to.

Gyms... they range all over the place, from Fitness 19 in Fairlawn which is in a strip mall and charges something like $12 a month... Shaw Jewish Community Center is in Akron and for under 30 is something like $55 a month - they have the full package - gym, pools, racquetball, basketball, etc.

Merriman Valley has RP Fitness which up until a year or two ago was a Bally's, and has all that a Bally's would have.

Cuyahoga Falls has the city run Natatorium, a YMCA branch, and there are also chain places like FitWorks in Chapel Hill (right on the CF-Akron border).

Old 09-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Default re: apartments in Fairlawn

Quote:
The absolute newest apartment complex in the Fairlawn area that I am aware of is a place called Summit Rise (which is technically Copley but it's in the 'Montrose' shopping area which everyone just ends up considering it to be Fairlawn). Summit Rise Apartments Apartments For Rent in Copley, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

The next one down the line from that (as far as new) would be Park Hill at Fairlawn Park Hill at Fairlawn, Park Hill Luxury Apartments, Park Hill at Fairlawn Luxury Apartments

I don't think there are any Bally's or anything of that nature in Fairlawn or the surrounding area, but this is right in the heart of Fairlawn RPFitness A Personalized Wellness Center - Put Personalized Fitnesss First

Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrrl77 View Post
I don't think there are any Bally's or anything of that nature in Fairlawn or the surrounding area, but this is right in the heart of Fairlawn RPFitness A Personalized Wellness Center - Put Personalized Fitnesss First
Ha, that used to be a Bally's.

And that in the Valley, not in Fairlawn, froot loop.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM

I appreciate everyones help. I get to schedule a house hunting trip as part of my relocation. I'll make sure to check these out when I come. Probably be 3 more weeks before I can get away to look around.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Ha, that used to be a Bally's.

And that in the Valley, not in Fairlawn, froot loop.
Oh Im a dork. How did i not see that. I swear I saw it mentioned that it was behind the mall - maybe that was something else. Oh well. Either way, its still close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton