Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,012 times

Advertisements

I sure don't want to ride my bike in a bike lane on any street, with everyone texting its like playing Russian roulette, its the tow path trails for me always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake effect bird View Post
I sure don't want to ride my bike in a bike lane on any street, with everyone texting its like playing Russian roulette, its the tow path trails for me always!
True. It seems to be all the rage now.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Akron may not be the most progressive place but a lot of this is financial. With new money comes new ideas. If Akron can attract young talent a lot of the old fashioned, antiquated stuff will fade away as they start to take power. Vote for these people when they run in your next election.

A lot of places have similar issues, it isn't just an Akron issue.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToDoInNEOhio View Post
Can't find many restaurants with healthy food around here.
You gotta be kidding. How many cities the size of Akron have two health food restaurants (the two Mustard Seed Cafes) and a vegan restaurant (Ms. Julie's Kitchen)? Add to that several locations of Aladdin's, who serve about as healthy a cuisine as you can get (Middle Eastern) and Indian and Thai restaurants and Akron is paradise for healthy food. Also, there isn't one other city the size of Akron with four major health food stores (2 Mustard Seeds, Earth Fare, and Whole Foods).

Akron has its share of faults, but lack of healthy food isn't one of them.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Well, the post is 3 years old, so OP has no doubt moved down south to “God’s waiting room” by now.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 AM

250 posts, read 529,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake effect bird View Post
I sure don't want to ride my bike in a bike lane on any street
Or without a gun in my waistband. Many of those parks have thugs hiding out to mug the walkers and bikers. DO NOT use any of those paths or trails alone. I can name 4 without thinking that have been mugged at gunpoint. 1 at the park by the dog park on memorial, 1 at Sand Run, 1 at Treaty Line, and 1 out more by Akron-Peninsula Rd and Steels Corners at what is now an archery range. Walking her dog one night about 8pm and 2 guys came into the parking lot and robbed her with guns drawn.

The Akron area needs more police, not more bike lands, not murals painted on buildings, not more bars downtown. They need to get the ghetto garbage into jail cells. THEN they will attract people. Nobody is moving into this crime ridden ****hole of a town.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:50 PM

150 posts, read 619,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
The Akron area needs more police, not more bike lands, not murals painted on buildings, not more bars downtown. They need to get the ghetto garbage into jail cells. THEN they will attract people. Nobody is moving into this crime ridden ****hole of a town.

1. We are hiring more police and anticipate continuing to build up the force after some lean times. I work for them and passing Issue 4 makes a HUGE difference to our budget.

2. Akron is dedicated to becoming more bike friendly. The Mayor is an avid cyclist. The Knight Foundation is currently funding a plan to develop a bicycle grid across Akron. Akron will be one of six cities to host the inaugural 3-race Fondo Cycling Circuit USA tour. I am looking forward to commuting by bike from Highland Square when we have a better traffic system in place for bikes.

3. Akron posted a very modest population increase this year. Obviously, someone is moving here.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:05 PM

250 posts, read 529,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
The Mayor is an avid cyclist.
Also the last mayor's puppet.... Does The Don still text him every day to tell him what The Don wants done?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,155 times
I've lived in Tx and San Jose. Akron is a bargain financially and really there are no natural disasters to speak of. There are tons of biking trails all over the place. If you feel you have to ride on the street, well good luck with that anywhere. The weather is variable, you never know what you're going to get, but we've had some really mild winters not all that long ago. 4 seasons ... it's not so bad really. This year it looks like our November is getting cold faster than normal, but whatever.... find stuff you like to do indoors. Good luck with your search for the perfect place to live ...

Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Or without a gun in my waistband. Many of those parks have thugs hiding out to mug the walkers and bikers. DO NOT use any of those paths or trails alone. I can name 4 without thinking that have been mugged at gunpoint. 1 at the park by the dog park on memorial, 1 at Sand Run, 1 at Treaty Line, and 1 out more by Akron-Peninsula Rd and Steels Corners at what is now an archery range. Walking her dog one night about 8pm and 2 guys came into the parking lot and robbed her with guns drawn.

You seem scared, and most of what you post is a reflection of the current situation that you live in. How you feel about it, not necessarily reality. A more self-secured, confident person may have no problem going out on the trails, knowing the statistics. Over 40,000 people die every year in car accidents, doesn't keep me out of car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton