Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 8,291 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Cleveland from Michigan. We are Asians and I have a 6 years old son. We moved a lot due to my husband’s job, but always we were in diversified cities. This time my husband wants to move to smaller city so he doesn’t want to go to Solon, Parma, or Maryland heights. He wants to go to Medina or Norton or Fairlawn area. He travels for his job twice a month so he doesn’t care about travel time. We never lived in predominantly white area. Also, not to offend anyone, but what should I expect in terms of racism? How do people in OH treat Asian people? I only am asking because of what I have read about Cleveland. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha3205 View Post
We are planning to move to Cleveland from Michigan. We are Asians and I have a 6 years old son. We moved a lot due to my husband’s job, but always we were in diversified cities. This time my husband wants to move to smaller city so he doesn’t want to go to Solon, Parma, or Maryland heights. He wants to go to Medina or Norton or Fairlawn area. He travels for his job twice a month so he doesn’t care about travel time. We never lived in predominantly white area. Also, not to offend anyone, but what should I expect in terms of racism? How do people in OH treat Asian people? I only am asking because of what I have read about Cleveland. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Asians' get a good shake in this world. Whites typically do not have problems with them except with the perpetual negotiating which is a cultural issue, not a personality flaw. You will be FINE in any of these areas. Suggest you go to the Highland area over Norton or Fairlawn...neither are quite what they used to be and lets let it go at that.....Bath is nice if you can afford it and again, don't worry about the Asian thing...Asian's typically have an excellent work ethic which is typically highly regarded in Caucasian cultures, cause little problems, and are industrious...that is what this country was built on....there are other parts of the Akron/Medina/Cleveland area where you would have some issues but, these aren't those areas.

Best wishes

Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Generally speaking, there's no prevailing negativity towards people of Asian descent in the area. In fact, I don't know what you heard about Cleveland but it sounds quite wrong.

When talking about moving to a smaller city different from what you listed above, Copley/Fairlawn is not going to be much different from Solon at all. Medina fits more of a smaller community which is still suburban but not packed in among many suburbs. Norton is an odd choice given the list you have, it's not a bad place but definitely the lowest of the pack for desirability.

Not sure what Caleb is talking about on Fairlawn other than there are a handful of subsidized apartment buildings. Other than that it has much of the better shopping in the area, Excellent rated schools, some diversity, and on the higher end of income in the area.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:45 AM

31 posts, read 42,085 times
I second Bath, we just moved here and it's very nice more affordable than most people think too! Lots of diversity in the public school system too! You won't be the only Asian family there!
Good luck

Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,792 times
Medina and Fairlawn would both be wonderful places for you to live. I can't imagine either of those areas showing the least bit of racism. I've lived in Medina (about 20 years) and worked in Fairlawn (also about 20 years). Note: I would include Montrose as part of Fairlawn for the purposes of this response. They both have all the conveniences you could possibly want (slight edge to Fairlawn/Montrose).

Norton, on the other hand, along with Barberton, with which it melds, are areas of low income, mostly white residents. There isn't, how shall I say this, a lot of open mindedness toward diversity. Norton has ridiculous zoning, taxes and speed limits to go along with its decay. I would expect you to feel extremely out of place there.....as would I as a white, middle income individual. I know....I lived in an apartment in Norton for a year or so, much to my chagrin.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:21 PM

10 posts, read 8,291 times
Thanks jimdc58,kiwid,SquareBetterThanAll and Caleb Longstreet . I appreciate your responses.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Generally speaking, there's no prevailing negativity towards people of Asian descent in the area. In fact, I don't know what you heard about Cleveland but it sounds quite wrong.

When talking about moving to a smaller city different from what you listed above, Copley/Fairlawn is not going to be much different from Solon at all. Medina fits more of a smaller community which is still suburban but not packed in among many suburbs. Norton is an odd choice given the list you have, it's not a bad place but definitely the lowest of the pack for desirability.

Not sure what Caleb is talking about on Fairlawn other than there are a handful of subsidized apartment buildings. Other than that it has much of the better shopping in the area, Excellent rated schools, some diversity, and on the higher end of income in the area.
That miller road area has gone to the dogs. Turned into section 8 housing like he did to Thurmont road years ago. Highland, bath, and revere are better. They still shop in the same areas so there is no loss there. Fair lawn is still pretty nice but that miller road nightmare is growing. Going west of hametown cures most of it.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:19 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
That miller road area has gone to the dogs. Turned into section 8 housing like he did to Thurmont road years ago. Highland, bath, and revere are better. They still shop in the same areas so there is no loss there. Fair lawn is still pretty nice but that miller road nightmare is growing. Going west of hametown cures most of it.
West of Hametown Road is out in the woods. That's like advocating avoiding crime by moving to a deserted island.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
West of Hametown Road is out in the woods. That's like advocating avoiding crime by moving to a deserted island.

Yeah, it might take a whole 15 minutes to make that voyage...have you EVER lived in a major city outside of the "Square"....Christ, apparently not....one could live in Medina and the commute would be a breeze compared to most major metros.....

You know, the average commute in America is in excess of 20 miles now, one way....in Akron, that's Mogador to Fairlawn or parts there about.....Hametown area is a lay up. Please.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We lived in Medina County for 18 years, and we enjoyed the people there very much. It is relatively rural, but a short commute to just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton