Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,567 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else watch the low-power Retro TV station out of Akron? (Love some of the old obscure stuff they show.) I get it through my cable provider and have noticed that at least once every half hour, the screen freezes, goes blank and then returns. Was wondering if this is the station itself or the cable company. No other station ever does this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 PM

250 posts, read 530,480 times
What are the call letters? Do you mean WVPX?

Old 03-06-2020, 05:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
What are the call letters? Do you mean WVPX?
W16DO-D (Tower is in Kent....shared with WNIR).

Old 03-06-2020, 08:35 AM

250 posts, read 530,480 times
Have you ever given them a call to report that? Is the dropout/freeze cyclic to where it happens in a pattern? You mentioned that it happens at least once every half hour. If it has no pattern it may be as simple as wind moving the tower, or you may have discovered something of which they are not aware. I once experimented with an over-the-air antenna (because I am a geek and explore such things - I actually have a spreadsheet listing every cell tower of my carrier in a 50 mile diameter, and I literally drove around taking signal strength readings from exactly one mile away from each tower) but the tuning between Fox and CBS is so discreet and defined that I could get one or the other, but not both. And since I was just experimenting and never going to use it for my TV viewing I was not about to invest in a motor to turn is the 2 degrees I needed to be on the perfect azimuth for each. I may now set it up to test that station you mentioned though.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:59 PM

562 posts, read 667,518 times
Years ago, this used to be WAOH-LP 29 and W35AX that served Cleveland, and was co-owned with WNIR radio.
Channel 29 was on WNIR's tower but it was shut down in the spectrum auction, and the current station is the digital re-incarnation of the Cleveland satellite and the tower is up in Cleveland.
Recently, it was sold to another owner who may be getting ready to either change the affiliation, or add more channels to it.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
And the current transmitter for 16 is out of Parma, and as a low-power station, it is difficult to pick up in much of Summit County.

The sale to HC2 Holdings was abandoned, according to FCC records, with a non-consummation notice in August. I don't know what happens now, or if they'll try again/sell again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton