U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,837 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a 20 something who just accepted a job offer in North Canton. I've been living on the west side of Cleveland. Now I'm trying to find a good place to move to that is a both a fun area AND has a reasonable commute to North Canton.

I've looked at a few apartment complexes in Highland Square, no winners yet. But something that threw me off is a landlord telling me that the commute to North Canton from Highland Square would be pretty bad in the morning. Google says it's a 25 minute drive (even if I select what time I will be leaving), but I'm apt to believe a local first. Is anyone familiar with this drive? How long does it take to get to North Canton from Highland Square on a weekday morning?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on other areas to move to? My price range for a one bedroom or studio apartment is $500-650 / month.

I've also come across a strange conundrum in which google says its also a 25 minute drive to North Canton from Barberton. I started considering a south suburb to be closer to my work. But it doesn't seem like it will pay off it's the same time from Barberton and Highland Square. Plus I really want to move to an area where I can walk to restaurants and coffee shops.

Any help/ insider info/ advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 PM

400 posts, read 276,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthie21 View Post
Hello! I'm a 20 something who just accepted a job offer in North Canton. I've been living on the west side of Cleveland. Now I'm trying to find a good place to move to that is a both a fun area AND has a reasonable commute to North Canton.

I've looked at a few apartment complexes in Highland Square, no winners yet. But something that threw me off is a landlord telling me that the commute to North Canton from Highland Square would be pretty bad in the morning. Google says it's a 25 minute drive (even if I select what time I will be leaving), but I'm apt to believe a local first. Is anyone familiar with this drive? How long does it take to get to North Canton from Highland Square on a weekday morning?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on other areas to move to? My price range for a one bedroom or studio apartment is $500-650 / month.

I've also come across a strange conundrum in which google says its also a 25 minute drive to North Canton from Barberton. I started considering a south suburb to be closer to my work. But it doesn't seem like it will pay off it's the same time from Barberton and Highland Square. Plus I really want to move to an area where I can walk to restaurants and coffee shops.

Any help/ insider info/ advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I may be able to help since I'm also from the westside of Cleveland and moved down to the Akron area about 5 years ago when I also got a job in Canton.

Highland Square: In ideal scenarios, 25 minutes is doable. But even with that, plan for at least 30 to 35. And right now (for the next several months/year-plus) it's not going to be ideal. The I-76/77 East to I-77 South ramp is closed at the Central Interchange for a major construction project. I haven't been through since it closed, but I'm guessing the detour is backtracking to I-76 West (through Kenmore) to I-277 (Barberton area) and then going I-277 to 77 South. That's gotta be at least 40 minutes. Even once the 76/77 to 77 South exit opens, there will still be some slowdowns due to the number of cars trying to get around the other closures at the central. If you plan to be in the area for several years, you can at some point maybe plan for 25 minutes, but it won't be any time soon.

For your price, you should find something decent in your range.

Barberton: 25 minutes sounds about right. Though you probably want to tack 5 minutes on due to construction going on (while Barberton misses the Central Interchange construction on the way to North Canton, they are widening 76 from 2 to 3 lanes in the city which is slowing stuff up ... plus you are getting more traffic on 277 from traffic being detoured through downtown). Still, Barberton should be spared from some of the major tie-ups. This is my opinion, but I'd still rather spend the extra 10 minutes and live in Highland Square rather than living in Barberton.

Some other options:

North Canton: You probably could find something in your range right there. Downtown North Canton isn't Highland Square, but there is some charm along Main Street in downtown and they are redeveloping the former Hoover factory to a mixed-used district. So there is some walkability (and there is Walsh University downtown). The downside is you are now getting further away from Cleveland, especially the west side.

Cuyahoga Falls: If we had to do it over again, based on what me and my wife were looking for, we would have chosen to move there. Downtown isn't quite as vibrant as Lakewood, but it's like a mix between Rocky River and Lakewood. There is plenty to do, very walkable and should be in your price range. On an ideal day, it's 25-30 minutes to North Canton. ... though you'd have to go through the Central, so the next year or so, add another 5 to 10 to that to be safe. In the Falls, you'd be even closer to the west side of Cleveland (via the turnpike) than either Highland Square, Barberton or North Canton if you wanted to go "home". There are plenty of apartments in the Falls (several high-rises, too) that should be in your price range. I'd urge you to check it out before making your decision. Its not quite Highland Square, but it's closer to the highway (and a straight shot to North Canton). ... And even if you wanted to go to Highland Square (or Merriman Valley) for a night out, it's a 10-15 minute scenic drive through the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest (though beware during the winter).

Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,692 times
I used to commute to N. Canton (close to the mall) from Highland Square. I always gave myself at least 30-35 minutes to be on the safe side. I gave myself closer to 45 mins on snowy days. I'm a real estate agent. Let me know if you need help finding a place.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,835 times
The commute from Highland Square to North Canton might be a bit rough but not horrible. From my experience it's worse going that way in the afternoon rush so you would probably be going the opposite way from most people. With all the construction in the central interchange right now it might get dicey for the next few years, however. It might all be worth it, though, as Highland Square is really the best place you could find.
If I were you, I would not live in Barberton. It is not really known as a nice place to live and is sort of trashy, no offense to anyone who lives there. I think Cuyahoga Falls could be a good option, but traffic is just as bad if not worse coming from there. However, they are revitalizing their downtown area near the river and also recently redeveloped the State Road shopping center area into a new, very classy mixed use development. It's really a very charming, up and coming community that would fit what you're looking for well.
North Canton, where your job is, could be a good place too. Downtown North Canton is really changing for the better and the old Hoover factory is being turned into a mixed use development. There will be very cool Industrial Flat-type apartments available there in a year or two but you don't have that long to wait.
Maybe look at Kent as well. It has a cool college town vibe and it's downtown has been redone with lots of new businesses. It's a really nice place and you could probably avoid the highway all together to get to North Canton, so you probably wouldn't hit any major traffic. Those are just some ideas, good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
View detailed profiles of: