Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 35,459 times

Advertisements

Can anyone that lives in Canton. . .not USED to live there, but currently lives there, verify the accuracy of the info on this site? On the left side of the page is a box listing the safest areas of Canton. Some are on the east side and from what I've been reading, nowhere on the east side is safe.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It claims the Paris/Robertsville area is one of the safest and it's in the east. Anyway, would appreciate any insider info on Canton neighborhoods, especially how it coincides with that website.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I don't think all the neighborhoods listed are actually in the city of Canton.

Here is a map of the city: (I never knew that Canton had such gerrymandered boundaries! )
http://cantonohio.gov/engineering/pd...%20(large).pdf

Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 AM

JR, is Hills and Dales considered a Canton neighborhood? Seems like a lot of retirees live there. . .are there apartments there or is it all houses? Also that site lists East Canton as a safe neighborhood. All the posts I've been reading say that anywhere in east Canton is bad. Would you be able to tell me which part of town - which neighborhoods have the most apartments?

Such conflicting info. I don't know about that neighborhood scout website. Seems like a lot of their info is wrong.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I don't have the answers to your questions. I only grew up in the Canton/Massillon area.

What I'm saying is that all of the areas on the NeighborhoodScout map aren't actually in the city of Canton. For example, there is a village of East Canton (Welcome to the Village of East Canton) and then there is the east side of the city of Canton. When people say the east side of Canton is bad, they are probably only talking about the city itself.

I will say that we lived in the "Gambrinus" neighborhood for about 10 years when I was a kid. (early 80's to early 90's) and I'm surprised that it is a medium blue. If that's what is ranked "medium," then I would probably be comfortable in all but the worst neighborhoods. (Mahoning/10th, Walnut/3rd, and Fulton/Shorb)

Old 11-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks, my friend. That helps a lot.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:00 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeezaMont View Post
Thanks, my friend. That helps a lot.
About 1/4 of those are technically outside the city. How Paris / Robertsville is on that list I have no idea, those are out in the middle of a cornfield somewhere.

Others like Reedurban one would probably say they live in Canton but it's actually a couple miles west of the city limits, and is really Perry.

And as said before East Canton is actually a speck that is East of Canton, as opposed to being the East Side of Canton.

Hills and Dales again one would probably say they live in Canton but I do believe it is separately incorporated (although adjacent to the city). It is pretty nice, I do believe they have their own police force for the couple hundred people that live in that neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 AM

72 posts, read 287,420 times
I realize this is an old thread, but as a resident of the NE side of Canton City I would like to add my two cents.

When you are talking NE in the city of Canton, Market Avenue is the dividing line. Market runs North to South, cutting directly through downtown Canton and intersecting W. Tuscawaras Street. So the NE Canton area boundaries would be from (North to South) W. Tuscawaras to 28th street North, all on the east side of Market.

The key to knowing how nice or nasty a particular street may be, is knowing how far North or South it is. There are four unofficial north/south boundaries that are so well defined that Realtors and Appraisers use them. The boundaries are:

- West Tusc to 12th Street. This is the worst section of the NE end. It is dotted with empty lots, REO properties and dilapidated century homes. This is the area that I work in. It's proven to be dicey. However, I do commute on a bicycle and have never personally ran into trouble. I personally do not find much appealing about this area.

- 12th street to 15th street. Not great, but there is a noticeable difference. Aesthetics improve very slightly and there is less vacant land. Still a depressed area.

- 15th street to 19th street. This is where I owned a home for 7 years. 19th street is right at the point where the NE neighborhoods really begin to improve. I lived below 17th street. We lived near a lot of rental properties and found that renters changed frequently. The neighborhood is usually noisy, whether it's a car stereo system, someone's home stereo or residents yelling from porch to porch. We've never had any crimes committed against us, but we did bear witness to some bad happenings. There was a rash a shootings in 2012 that was very concerning to me. The Police installed a system called "shot spotter" to help them locate and respond to shots fired. I've experienced a general lack of care or courtesy in this area. 12 inch tall lawns are a common sight. The home owner's have been good neighbors. I believe that most of the noise and trouble have been from a handful of rental properties. It's not all bad, but I would not choose to move back.

19th to 28th street. This is the best boundary in the NE end. At 19th street the neighborhood is only ok. At 22nd-24th street the Ridgewood neighborhood is very, very nice. North of Ridgewood is Colonial Heights. Colonial Heights is a very nice working class neighborhood. Nicely maintained homes and well groomed lawns. It is only one mile north of my old home, but the neighborhood is incomparably nicer. Colonial Heights is smaller but could probably be compared to Harter Heights and Market Heights. Our new home is in Colonial Heights and I cannot believe the difference one mile north can make. I highly recommend the area.

North of 28th street is Plain Township.

Last edited by mkeller234; 07-23-2013 at 02:05 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 12:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeller234 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but as a resident of the NE side of Canton City I would like to add my two cents.

When you are talking NE in the city of Canton, Market Avenue is the dividing line. Market runs North to South, cutting directly through downtown Canton and intersecting W. Tuscawaras Street. So the NE Canton area boundaries would be from (North to South) W. Tuscawaras to 28th street North, all on the east side of Market.

The key to knowing how nice or nasty a particular street may be, is knowing how far North or South it is. There are four unofficial north/south boundaries that are so well defined that Realtors and Appraisers use them. The boundaries are:

- West Tusc to 12th Street. This is the worst section of the NE end. It is dotted with empty lots, REO properties and dilapidated century homes. This is the area that I work in. It's proven to be dicey. However, I do commute on a bicycle and have never personally ran into trouble. I personally do not find much appealing about this area.

- 12th street to 15th street. Not great, but there is a noticeable difference. Aesthetics improve very slightly and there is less vacant land. Still a depressed area.

- 15th street to 19th street. This is where I owned a home for 7 years. 19th street is right at the point where the NE neighborhoods really begin to improve. I lived below 17th street. We lived near a lot of rental properties and found that renters changed frequently. The neighborhood is usually noisy, whether it's a car stereo system, someone's home stereo or residents yelling from porch to porch. We've never had any crimes committed against us, but we did bear witness to some bad happenings. There was a rash a shootings in 2012 that was very concerning to me. The Police installed a system called "shot spotter" to help them locate and respond to shots fired. I've experienced a general lack of care or courtesy in this area. 12 inch tall lawns are a common sight. The home owner's have been good neighbors. I believe that most of the noise and trouble have been from a handful of rental properties. It's not all bad, but I would not choose to move back.

19th to 28th street. This is the best boundary in the NE end. At 19th street the neighborhood is only ok. At 22nd-24th street the Ridgewood neighborhood is very, very nice. North of Ridgewood is Colonial Heights. Colonial Heights is a very nice working class neighborhood. Nicely maintained homes and well groomed lawns. It is only one mile north of my old home, but the neighborhood is incomparably nicer. Colonial Heights is smaller but could probably be compared to Harter Heights and Market Heights. Our new home is in Colonial Heights and I cannot believe the difference one mile north can make. I highly recommend the area.

North of 28th street is Plain Township.
Sorry to dredge up this ancient post, but I am currently considering a house in the Colonial Heights neighborhood. Is it still a nice neighborhood? What about Canton in general? Is it on the upswing? I am not local, so really appreciate local input! Thanks!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 PM

89 posts, read 119,809 times
Colonial Heights is still very nice. I like Canton, just recently moved back.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyechick View Post
Colonial Heights is still very nice. I like Canton, just recently moved back.
Agreed, just walked around Colonial Heights and Ridgewood the other day, where my family lived for a long time. It was quite pleasant. If I ever moved to Canton I think I'd aim for that area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton