Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 36,256 times

Advertisements

How I use this site, and the age of the posts I choose to comment on are irrelevant. I am happy to be gone, which has absolutely no bearing on whether or not I'm allowed to express my opinion.

I don't need attention, and I don't have an obsession with the area - that's not why I'm posting here. I'm posting here because this, and similar threads seem to be nothing more than a "Northeast Ohio's a Great Place to live" circle jerk, with no one willing to paint an accurate picture of the many long-term problems the area has. Mattalli, since you appear to be concerned about the substance of the information I'm posting, please address the actual issues I've commented on, instead of attacking the commenter or questioning the motives. If you don't agree that NE Ohio has the profound problems I've accused it of, then offer an explanation as to what I'm wrong about and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Ex-Clevelander Weighs In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchopper View Post
How I use this site, and the age of the posts I choose to comment on are irrelevant. I am happy to be gone, which has absolutely no bearing on whether or not I'm allowed to express my opinion.

I don't need attention, and I don't have an obsession with the area - that's not why I'm posting here. I'm posting here because this, and similar threads seem to be nothing more than a "Northeast Ohio's a Great Place to live" circle jerk, with no one willing to paint an accurate picture of the many long-term problems the area has. Mattalli, since you appear to be concerned about the substance of the information I'm posting, please address the actual issues I've commented on, instead of attacking the commenter or questioning the motives. If you don't agree that NE Ohio has the profound problems I've accused it of, then offer an explanation as to what I'm wrong about and why.
Porkchopper, note first that 'I ain't mad atcha', and that you make a valid point...my old home area (NE Ohio) does have problems...I lived in Cleveland and Cleveland Heights for the majority of my life, until 2005, when I moved to Middletown to be near my now-wife...

I've visited Cleveland a few times since then, and I won't lie or sugarcoat---I saw some things that utterly broke my heart...neighborhoods where I once spent the days of my youth, now filled with abandoned houses, dirt and trash...streets neglected...people looking fearful...you get the picture

But on the other side of the coin, in both Cleveland and the Akron-Canton area, there are signs of life...people are 'reverse-migrating', buying homes, fixing them up and settling in...people are starting to spend time working in their yards, shopping, dining, playing with their kids...and they're not letting somebody's list in a magazine, or negative word-of-mouth from those who've 'escaped', deter them...

My point to you, then, is this...you did leve the area, for reasons known best to you...and you had EVERY RIGHT to do this---folks do it every day, not just here, but across the country...we understand fully that you didn't like it here, and that you're glad to be gone...but don't use that glee as a platform to say people are 'smoking crack' when they have anything positive to say about the area...that's THEIR opinion and perspective, and they're entitled to it, just as you are entitled to speak YOUR mind...just sayin'

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
I moved from Akron in the 80's when the rust belt first became apparent.
our city leaders haven't really done anything other than globe trotting under the guise of recruiting jobs here,which bottom line I feel was just a vacation at the tax payers expense (check out their charge cards for meals and lodging (no motel 6 for these high rollers)

Akron's leaders have done much for their cronies such as buying fixing properties and selling property at a huge loss to taxpayers to their friends.
In my opinion the only citizens who have done well in Akron are the upper level city employees (that is what they are employees)

I have since retired and have moved back to the area because I feel the Akron area has the nicest people in America not the smartest people but the nicest.

get smart Akron fire everyone of your civic leaders,get their hand out of your wallet ! but this is Akron if its a Democrat we have to vote for them.......guys the Dem's. have allowed the unions to leave,your fathers system wont work anymore,but..... you keep electing a band of thieves!.......but as usual I may be wrong....you want them you got them.........I made sure to move outside of the city limits and now they are reaching out here under the guise of JEDD

Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchopper View Post
People are leaving Ohio in droves and the population of Canton, and Ohio have both steadily declined for the last two decades. No jobs. No industry. No political leadership.
The population of Ohio growth has never been in the negative, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, and Stark County has only shown negative growth between 1980 and 1990.

And while most of the city of Canton could definitely fair better economically, like many cities, the suburbs are still in fairly good shape with excellent schools, low crime, etc.

So if you're going to accuse people of smoking crack you could at least make points that aren't false.

Feel free to check my stats.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
The population of Ohio growth has never been in the negative, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, and Stark County has only shown negative growth between 1980 and 1990.

And while most of the city of Canton could definitely fair better economically, like many cities, the suburbs are still in fairly good shape with excellent schools, low crime, etc.

So if you're going to accuse people of smoking crack you could at least make points that aren't false.

Feel free to check my stats.
Very true. This is another case of people taking their perceptions/opinions and trying to turn them into facts. If you look at the census bureau, Ohio has yet to loose population in any census. Whether is be an official tally, or an estimate. Akron/Canton experiences ups and downs in the population, but both are doing fairly well. Both cities are nice and livable. Give it a few years, and I think you will start seeing more growth than decline.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
I so hope it grows. I'm an optimist. =) I love & miss Ohio. I'm very happy now here in Utah, but I miss alot about Ohio. FWIW, I grew up & lived in a 'bad' area of Akron, & my parents still live there, aka, Kenmore, & have never felt 'scared' to live there, or visit there, & I'm not a fighter/wimp. lol

Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I so hope it grows. I'm an optimist. =) I love & miss Ohio. I'm very happy now here in Utah, but I miss alot about Ohio. FWIW, I grew up & lived in a 'bad' area of Akron, & my parents still live there, aka, Kenmore, & have never felt 'scared' to live there, or visit there, & I'm not a fighter/wimp. lol
Utah is a great state. Probaly the only state outside of New Mexico (I know a lot of poverty there, but beautiful state) that I would live in out west. Wish you the best of luck out there.

BTW, its great to be an optimist.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM

571 posts, read 943,597 times
I grew up in Warren and it was... well, I can't say I'm sad to be getting out in a few months for college. BUT... it was an interesting place to grow up and live around. The whole city has a very "retro" feel, like it is stuck in the 80's. It's hard to describe, you'd have to experience it. The suburbs of Warren are nice (Howland). Its also oddly liberal- there are like 5 gay bars & one of the council members is an avowed communist. People always love to return here from out-of-town because nothing has really changed since twenty years ago-- well, except for some parts becoming run down which is sad.

Akron is a lot more happening and larger. It has a definitive "city" feel, is only 45 minutes from Cleveland, and is incredibly diverse.

Both are good choices, though Akron has an edge.

edit: woah, 2006? Really? Who's the necrophiliac?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,219 times
I say to look more in the suburbs of Akron. The city itself...more Akron looks like it turned into rental properties. You can tell by the school ratings what areas to live in. That's how we always based our moves by. It's really paid off too! Look for the better schools and you can't go wrong! Ohio ranks schools check out, [url=http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_OH_Ads_AdWords.html]Ohio Public School Rankings[/url]

Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I did my early years of growing up in Kenmore!! NEVER again...I'd RENT my my whole life. It was scary and we had two break- ins. Parents were fed up and went to suburbs. Where you didn't have to lock the doors in daylight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton