U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,145 times

Advertisements

hi there am looking for any info re the area near summit beach park, and if it would be a good area to buy in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeter View Post
hi there am looking for any info re the area near summit beach park, and if it would be a good area to buy in?
Well, you're about 50 years too late for Summit Beach Park which would've been the amusement park. That was plowed over and they built a public housing project on it.

I generally try to stay positive about the neighborhoods but Summit Lake is one of the worst in the city as far as crime goes.

The north end of it is an expressway. The Northeast end of it is where the projects are that part of the neighborhood is pretty decimated most of the way down that side of the lake. South end is industrial. Northwest end of the lake is also pretty ****ty, but a little further down isn't too bad (west side of the lake). The houses are small but a good majority of them seem to be kept up between decently and nicely - working class.

In all unless you're looking at that section on the west side of the lake I wouldn't waste my time, even if the house is $25,000 (which many of them are). If you're in that ballpark I'd scope for a foreclosure in the ass end of a better neighborhood like Ellet.

The lake is nice though, and people fish down there. Summit Lake Park is also nice... but it's up next to the projects. I definitely consider Summit Lake an overlooked gem in the city... but for now the neighborhood surrounding it is largely a mess.

article from ABJ about it: Ohio.com - Leaders to take look at Summit Lake area

Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,848,555 times
dont forget about the alligator the kid caught in summit lake when he skipped school this spring......true story!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 4,725,423 times
It's a crap neighborhood. It does get better if you go west of Manchester Road though.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,848,555 times
yeah 5 lakes......but how many gators does your lake have?????? (counting all 5 lakes !) it kind of brings a tropical feel to the neighborhood!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM

41,252 posts, read 51,079,804 times
Funny, but we just drove past there yesterday. I'm not from around there, but I thought it looked very nice and a lot of people were enjoying the lakefront. It starts to get more rural there, and it didn't look to be at all blighted or dangerous.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It starts to get more rural there, and it didn't look to be at all blighted or dangerous.
You must have the wrong lake. There's nothing that looks even remotely rural.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Funny, but we just drove past there yesterday. I'm not from around there, but I thought it looked very nice and a lot of people were enjoying the lakefront. It starts to get more rural there, and it didn't look to be at all blighted or dangerous.
Perhaps you were driving past the Portage Lakes? That's a much nicer area.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 PM

41,252 posts, read 51,079,804 times
Ooops. You guys are right. I drove past Springfield Lake on 224. I'll have to plead a Roseanne Roseannadanna moment on that one...never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton