Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 49,987 times

Advertisements

I'm going to visit Akron next month and would like to hear your opinion of the city and what it's like to live there. We'll be visiting the Stan Hywet mansion and also would appreciate tips on what else we should see, where to eat and stay, etc. I'll be looking at a large house for sale on Merriman Rd. between Eaton Ave and Mayfair Rd., which I'm told is near to Sand Run and Cascade Valley Parks and fairly close to Cuyahoga National Park. What are the neighborhood and these parks like? Are they and the nearby areas safe? I'm a fan of big old homes, despite their impracticality. We like to bike and hike, and would prefer a medium to large city with a good selection of cultural activities, a nice library, and a good YMCA or other health/exercise club. I don't need to worry about the local job market as I work 80-90% over the web and about 6 weeks per year in PA, about 3 hrs. from Akron. It would be a significant plus if the town had chess and table tennis clubs as these are my hobbies. I gather that Cleveland is about a 45 min. drive - is that accurate? Also, how does Akron compare to Canton? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
If you like baseball i would suggest that you visit Canal Park and go watch the Akron Aeros (Class AA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians).

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Do not miss the Akron Art Museum (recently expanded and now internationally famous for the architecture), and adjacent Summit Art Space. If you go, there's a good restaurant named Crave next to the museum that's super. You are looking in a nice area. Chrissy Hynde has opened a popular vegetarian restaurant in Akron, although I haven't tried it yet.
In my opinion, Canton is an armpit.
There's a great bike trail that runs through the town of Peninsula (in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park), which is a cool place to see the shops and eat at one of the little restaurants. I believe the trails are all pretty safe, aside from the occasional incidents you have anywhere...no roving gangs or wild animals, etc.
If you are here over the 4th of July, Boston Mills Ski area, also within the Cuyahoga Valley Park, has an awesome art festival over several weekends.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM

122 posts, read 482,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelove View Post
I'm going to visit Akron next month and would like to hear your opinion of the city and what it's like to live there. We'll be visiting the Stan Hywet mansion and also would appreciate tips on what else we should see, where to eat and stay, etc. I'll be looking at a large house for sale on Merriman Rd. between Eaton Ave and Mayfair Rd., which I'm told is near to Sand Run and Cascade Valley Parks and fairly close to Cuyahoga National Park. What are the neighborhood and these parks like? Are they and the nearby areas safe? I'm a fan of big old homes, despite their impracticality. We like to bike and hike, and would prefer a medium to large city with a good selection of cultural activities, a nice library, and a good YMCA or other health/exercise club. I don't need to worry about the local job market as I work 80-90% over the web and about 6 weeks per year in PA, about 3 hrs. from Akron. It would be a significant plus if the town had chess and table tennis clubs as these are my hobbies. I gather that Cleveland is about a 45 min. drive - is that accurate? Also, how does Akron compare to Canton? Thanks.
I can comment on the neighborhood since no one else has. Merriman Rd. is in a nice old section of Akron. The southeastern terminus is in Akron's Highland Square area and the northwestern terminus is in the Cuyahoga Valley (I think everyone still just calls it "the valley"). Highland Square is a nice eclectic part of Akron. I worked for many years at the old Sumner Home for the Aged, a mansion located directly on Merriman and we didn't have any crime issues. It's a hilly area, so winter-time driving could sometimes be a challenge. Many of the side streets are still original brick. The area you talked about is in a nice location because you are midway between "the valley" and downtown Akron and it's an easy drive "up the back way" to Akron's North Hill section and Cuyahoga Falls. All of the houses in that area are large and old, mostly built by prominent business owners from the early 20th century who helped build industry in Akron.

If I were to ever move back to Akron, that is the area that I would chose to live (the "northwestern" part of Highland Square).

Just my 2 cents worth...hope it helps.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,268 times
Ahh I know that area of Merriman (live nearby there myself, in the "valley" area) Great area, the Sand Run Metro Park is all around that place (excellent bike and walking trails).
The Akron Zoo is quite charming.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
if you were moving to akron merriman rd is a safe and great place to live, if you like summer sports you should look into the portage lakes area, for the money you spend on merriman road you could buy lake front property in the lakes.
portage lakes has a hodge podge of small cottages and giant mansions. drive around and see the towns suburbs before you decide.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
Oh how I remember fantastic times at Sand Run Park. It's been over 20 years since I lived in Akron, but have many fond memories. I'm sure it has changed, but this is a beautiful area. Cuyahoga Valley is so close to Sand Run. I lived in Fairlawn. This is a very nice area, and if you are looking at stately homes, go through the area of Fairlawn Heights. Don't know if they still have a place called "Quaker Square" in downtown Akron, but if still there, you might want to visit that as well. I am going back to visit in July (my brother lives in Wadsworth) and I still have a cottage on the PA/OH line.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,617 times
I agree with everything that was said above. Not sure about the chess and tennis clubs but Akron is about 45 minutes from Cleveland. As far Akron comparing to Canton - I wouldn't. As a whole, Akron is way better than Canton (sorry ahead of time to any Cantonites).
I live on North Portage Path in Highland Square which is practically down the street from Merriman Rd. - great area. 'Ryeager9' said it all....

Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 33,390 times
yes, your moved to akron in that area,is a great choice for what your looking for andthe things you want to do, you will love it!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM

48 posts, read 112,357 times
The area of Akron you are looking at is quite nice, especially with the proximity to the park. If it doesn't suit, look into Bath Township or Richfield which are also nice and close to the Ohio turnpike. My property touches the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and we absolutely love this area. IMHO, Akron is nicer than Canton. Some areas of Akron are scary, but I wouldn't worry about the part you are looking at. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton