Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 234,297 times

Advertisements

Hi Jim Mac,

I answered you on your other post about the lakes in AL. I also noted that I didn't think that Guntersville had high humidity. But that all is relative. I see you live in Wisconsin now so my idea of high humidity may be different from yours since I lived on Long Island, NY, between the LI Sound and the bay and ocean. Check out the city data site for Guntersville, that may help answer your question. I just didn't think the humidity was bad at all, and you do have air conditioning.
If you are considering moving here, you should definitely visit here first to see how you like it. By the way, our neighbors are from Idaho and we know people here from Wisconsin.
Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 23,800 times
We are thinking of retiring in a southern state and researching many of the wonderful towns. As that part of the country is lush and green I understand the humidity is part of the enviroment. Will you please share with us what the bug situation is like, mosquitos, noseems, etc? kindly

Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Actually after living in FL for 30 years the bugs are not nearly as bad up here. There are mosquitoes but not too bad but then I don't live on the water, but there is a creek across the street. No Nosee'ems are not bad either around my house of course during the summer I rarely sit outside at dusk. There are spiders that love to build webs in my hanging plants though.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,071 times
I don't think that bugs are any worse here than Wisconsin. We lived in the Madison WI area and had huge flies (cows?), nosseeums, and BIG mosquitos. Sure you have all that here but not any worse and in some areas could be better because some counties spray for mosquitos regularly in the summer. Humidity is worse here probably but then I remember some really hot humid days there. One of the worst humid hot days I ever experienced was in Minnesota! Hey, cost of living and taxes are MUCH cheaper down here so you can afford to spray your yard!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM

I just read this whole thread (don't know why) and I am appalled at the racial bigoty expressed by a couple of posters. Did Arab actually try to prohibit hiring of Latinos? HAVE THEY READ THE CONSTITUTION? Don't they know that there are MILLIONS of LEGAL US citizens of Hispanic heritage? Hey, some of them have families here that predate most of us coming over in the boats! We must speak up and not be afraid to call out such bigotry or we will end up like Natzi Germany. We can not assume that every Latino we see is illegal. And let us remember that they are human beings who love their families, faith and are hard working - not any different from anybody else.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I just read this whole thread (don't know why) and I am appalled at the racial bigoty expressed by a couple of posters. Did Arab actually try to prohibit hiring of Latinos? HAVE THEY READ THE CONSTITUTION? Don't they know that there are MILLIONS of LEGAL US citizens of Hispanic heritage? Hey, some of them have families here that predate most of us coming over in the boats! We must speak up and not be afraid to call out such bigotry or we will end up like Natzi Germany. We can not assume that every Latino we see is illegal. And let us remember that they are human beings who love their families, faith and are hard working - not any different from anybody else.
There is no ordinance in Arab regarding not hiring any race and as far as I know there was never one presented to the city. There are latinos who work in Arab and have for as long as I have lived here. There are more Latinos living in Arab now so they must be working somewhere.

In 2006 when that was posted there was concern in Albertville over illegal hispanics not US citizens because of multiple arrests for prostitution and drugs being sold by illegal hispanics in that city. Also many were driving cars with no licenses or insurance plus many DUIs. The poultry plants hired many illegal hispanics because they could pay them less. This is not the thread to discuss the new state law which is now in effect. I have no idea how that has affected the workers at the poultry plants.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM

64 posts, read 234,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsfaith View Post
We are thinking of retiring in a southern state and researching many of the wonderful towns. As that part of the country is lush and green I understand the humidity is part of the enviroment. Will you please share with us what the bug situation is like, mosquitos, noseems, etc? kindly
Fordsfaith, We moved to Guntersville from Long Island, NY, four years ago and we have not found mosquitoes to be a problem at all, noseeums either. We do have a lot of flies, more than we had on LI but we live a block and a half from the lake. There are more spiders here than Long Island. As for humidity, well Long Island was humid and Guntersville is not as humid as Long Island. It really is beautiful country here.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 23,800 times
Thank you all for responding to our questions on the bug issue in the southern states. Great to hear the bug issue wasn't so bad. Currently we are thinking about southern Atlanta area and now researching Alabama. Really enjoy learning the quality of life and enviroment, thank you again. Hopefully I will be signing off as southern belle sher!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 AM

You might want to check how your pension and SS income are handled in GA. In AL many pensions are not taxed and SS is not taxed at all.

Property tax is low also well compared to some places.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Property taxes are lower in some places than others in AL also. Of course, you don't get all the conveniences or services either of large , more populated counties. We have neighbors from all over the country. One neighbor comes every year from NY from Dec to May. I guess the taxes are that low! Our taxes on our property is 400 a year!!! Probably lower if we had a double wide on the lake! For retirement I guess that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama