Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 73,932 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently spent four days looking around northeast Alabama to find a place to settle. We looked at Arab, Guntersville and Cherokee County. Cherokee county was very nice but a bit too rural for my wife and the people seemed to avoid us because they knew we were not from there. Guntersville was great and I think this is where we will settle. I have one question, we noticed a very large hispanic population in Albertville due to the tyson chicken company. We have lived in Florida for many years and are certainly not strangers to the problems that this brings to an area, sorry but it is true I am not a racist just stating facts. It seemed that this was not a problem in guntersville and wondering if anyone could give us a little help on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 01:49 PM

44 posts, read 229,996 times
a growing hispanic population is a fact of life, no matter where you live. Albertville has probably the highest concentration of hispanic people in that part of the state, so you noticed what we already know. A Huntsville politician is trying to pass an ordinance that fines Huntsville landlords $1000 per day for renting to illegals, I believe I heard on the news not too long ago another much smaller town near the area you discuss was proposing a similar ordinance. These ordinances won't pass though.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 73,932 times
Default thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply. You are right about the growing hispanic population we have a real problem in this country with illegal immigration. Guntersville seems to be a very nice area and If things work out that's where my wife and I will settle. It can't be any worse than Florida/little mexico!!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 PM

44 posts, read 229,996 times
happy to help. My dad was born and raised in Miami (Hialeah), his former high school Hialeah High is now 98% Cuban. don't expect anything like that in North Alabama. Maybe in another 150 years. but we all could benefit from learning some conversational spanish.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 13,372 times
Smile Guntersville, Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by over florida View Post
My wife and I recently spent four days looking around northeast Alabama to find a place to settle. We looked at Arab, Guntersville and Cherokee County. Cherokee county was very nice but a bit too rural for my wife and the people seemed to avoid us because they knew we were not from there. Guntersville was great and I think this is where we will settle. I have one question, we noticed a very large hispanic population in Albertville due to the tyson chicken company. We have lived in Florida for many years and are certainly not strangers to the problems that this brings to an area, sorry but it is true I am not a racist just stating facts. It seemed that this was not a problem in guntersville and wondering if anyone could give us a little help on this area?

Check out this link concerning Guntersville, if you need any assistance in locating a home, please contact me. Realtor. : ://www.lakeguntersville.org/

Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 PM

73 posts, read 434,048 times
Good Evening, I live in Arab, yes its a fact of life, We are perposing an ordinance as well and plan to take it one step further, Hireing of Hispanics will also be banned. Being a local business owner myself have always had a personal policy to not hire any. Although we have some living here, the population is not as great as Albertville or Guntersville. We are a quite and friendly little town with all the nessesities of life within 10 min. from anywhere in town. Speaking of Albertville, I was driving thru a couple days ago and began noticing the billboards on the highway, I could only read 2 out of every 6 billboards, the rest were in spanish. Good Luck with your decision, Im sure any where you choose the folks will make you feel right at home. Rick

Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 PM

Location: Wherever the are junk homes: Lawrence County Alabama, Huntsville Alabama and Birmingham Alabama
69 posts, read 267,520 times
Hi Rick in Dixie, there is actually going to be an ordinance in Arab banning the hiring of Hispanics? I hear the Hispanic Governor of New Mexico may be running for President, so our Arab ordinance will actually make it illegal for an Arabian to hire an Hispanic as President!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 AM

73 posts, read 434,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suliniber View Post
Hi Rick in Dixie, there is actually going to be an ordinance in Arab banning the hiring of Hispanics? I hear the Hispanic Governor of New Mexico may be running for President, so our Arab ordinance will actually make it illegal for an Arabian to hire an Hispanic as President!
Sounds like a well thought out plan to me. LOL

Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM

9 posts, read 40,710 times
I just noticed this thread. I was born in the Huntsville area - Father was military so
didn't always live in the area. Lived in Guntersville and Albertville area years ago and now
my mother lives on Lake Guntersville. It is a wonderful town. I live in Athens and believe
me would pick Guntersville any day over it mainly I guess because of the drive distance
to Huntsville.

Pretty much any of the towns surrounding the Huntsville area are all nice places
to live just depends on what your looking for, they all have their own qualities
little advantages.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
I'm also thinking about retiring in Guntersville in the future. I haven't been there yet, but have read about it. Is it true that it DOES NOT have high humidity in the summer? I want to avoid summer high humidity areas. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama