U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,764 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've read through some posts and most have been very helpful. I am from Southern California and I will be moving to Tuscaloosa to attend UA. I'm really excited, and I've heard a great deal of wonderful things about Alabama. But I've also heard some not so good things. Will it be a big adjustment moving to Tuscaloosa? I'm just wondering what is so different? Anytime I mention moving to Alabama, my friends here are in shock. No one understands why I would leave California to go to Alabama.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:49 PM

287 posts, read 442,796 times
I don't understand either. I am assuming cost of living is not a factor for you.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:17 PM

309 posts, read 660,947 times
Tuscaloosa is a lot smaller, so you may have not the same amenities you are used to Southern California. Also, the racial make up is different. More blacks (unless SoCal's population is also 50% black), way less Hispanics and Asians (almost none of the latter outside of the UA community to speak of). A very conservative environment, just just politically, but in all matters. "Tradition" and "values" are words that you will become sick of hearing, so much they are thrown around here. Things are done the way they've always been done just because and don't look to use logic to change things 'cause you will be looked at as an outsider agitator.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM

26,343 posts, read 88,438,096 times
I think the biggest difference you will notice is the weather - and not summer weather. Winters are cloudier, grayer, wetter, and more restricting.

Now if you're an engineering student, that won't matter as you will be spending 95% of your time in libraries or labs.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:51 PM

31 posts, read 86,246 times
Try to live somewhere north of the river. Whatever you do, avoid The Links at Tuscaloosa. That apartment complex recently had a shooting and it has a history of criminal activity. It looks pretty on the outside; that is why I warn you.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,495 times
I moved to Aalabama from Arizona years ago and after travelling the world, I went into shock. You probably will too. But it's still the US, and you have a lot of students at the University of Alabama that truly want to think outside the box, so just be their catalyst, help them and take pride in it. Don't change unless you value family togetherness and core spirituality, which is everywhere in this nation. Alabamians see Californians as self absorbed and consumed with outer beauty when it is usually about eating healthy and exercise and taking pride in how you present yourself. The media has made so much hype about the differences. Look for similarities. Come to Birmingham when you get bored and visit the hip organic side of city people here, and relax in the slow pace of laid-back people who will love you no matter what kind of day you have had. Southern cuisine can be amazing, and if you are adventurous you can find many people who are from other wonderful cities in this nation who love it here. Plus we have amazing art. The Birmingham Museum of Art, Sloss Furnace, the local art galleries in Birmingham rival some of the best in the nation, as we have a very forward thinking cultural arts scene. Visit Barber Museum of Motorsports and their track for special events like Ferrari road races. It's world class, housing the world's largest collection of vintage motorcycles, which has been on display at the Guggenheim. Many people here love to travel abroad. Tuscaloosa may drive you crazy with their "isms"... when they do, drive the hour to Birmingham to connect with your like-minded counterparts, it's worth the drive. Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,168,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the biggest difference you will notice is the weather - and not summer weather. Winters are cloudier, grayer, wetter, and more restricting.
I'm from a city in California that has weather similar to Santa Barbara and Westside LA and I disagree. The summer's are long and brutal. I have never lived in a house that had AC until I lived here. The winters are definitely colder, but not so long for me, and it doesn't even really snow or get truly frigid. Each unto his/her own.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,592,556 times
Catherine - "so just be their catalyst, help them" condescension followed by "Alabamians see Californians as self absorbed" . Typical from a liberal who can't seem to understand that we don't necessarily want the type of "help" you're going to offer...

Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM

5,951 posts, read 17,059,767 times
Being a student at UA is very different from being a Tuscaloosa resident. If you're a freshman, you'll be living on campus...and if you're not a freshman, I hope you'll live on campus at least 1 year so that you can explore the university.

Yes, you will find things very different in Alabama...just as you would find them very different in all "non-California" states. Don't buy your friends' condescending attitude toward the state. We have a lot of wonderful people and places if you're willing to explore. You're lucky - you're bound to make friends with many Alabama residents as well as many from outside the state.

Yes, you will find us more conservative. Yes, summer is hotter than Hades. It's not the heat, it's the humidity. Well...it's the heat, too. Yes, tradition is important at UA and you'll hear it over and over. Explore and appreciate the differences between California and Alabama.

And get outside of Tuscaloosa and explore Birmingham and other parts of Alabama...visit some neighboring states, too. Be sure to go to Gulf Shores! It's going to be a wonderful adventure for you. Best of luck and ROLL TIDE!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM

309 posts, read 660,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Catherine - "so just be their catalyst, help them" condescension followed by "Alabamians see Californians as self absorbed" . Typical from a liberal who can't seem to understand that we don't necessarily want the type of "help" you're going to offer...
I didn't see anything incorrect in what she said.

Also, you don't think there are native Alabamians with the same worldview as her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama