U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 16,805,928 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I am a 26 year old gay male from Connecticut. I grew up in CT my entire life and spent some time in NYC. However, I am getting rather frustrated with the cost of living here. It seems like I will never be able to afford a home on my own single income, which is $65,000. I got pre-approved for a mortgage up to $220,000, but even that can't buy a good enough home. All the homes around here in that price range are old, need lots of work, are located near noisy highways, corner lots, or something else that's a major drawback. Also, a $220K home would typically have property taxes of around $4,000 annually. My prospects and dreams of owning my own decent home are looking bleak.

Here is some info about myself:
  • I'm very laid back and quiet; generally keep to myself; very polite
  • I prefer a relaxed, slow-paced lifestyle
  • I can't stand the "keeping up with the jones" lifestyle up here
  • I can't stand winter; i wish most of the year was warm; i hate wearing jackets
  • I grew up in a semi-rural small town in CT; that's the type of lifestyle I like
  • I'm gay and would like to have some gay friends, too
  • I'm a republican
  • I don't really care about making tons of money; I just want to live comfortably
  • Southern accents irritate me and make me stick out like a sore thumb, because I don't have a southern accent myself
What do you think? Would AL be a good place for me? Or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:30 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,651,609 times
In a word...no.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,672,984 times
Who cares if you are gay, Republican, or whatever. The fact that Southern accents irritate you is why you won't like Alabama!!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 PM

257 posts, read 582,008 times
keep being gay to your self and don't go lookin for gays and you should be fine

Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Wow....I guess I am destined to die in the northeast

Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM

18,501 posts, read 39,699,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
keep being gay to your self and don't go lookin for gays and you should be fine
Good thing I didn't take your advice or I'd still be single.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM

18,501 posts, read 39,699,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wow....I guess I am destined to die in the northeast
There's plenty of people in Alabama that have moved here from other areas, so noone is going to look at you like an alien if you don't speak with a Southern accent. Now if you hate hearing a Southern accent that may be a problem .

There's also plenty of us gay people in Alabama despite what people say. Alabama isn't a liberal place, so you won't be able to kiss and hold hands while walking down the sidewalk, but you also can't do that in most parts of this country. My partner and I have lived together for over 6 years and have never had a problem, nor has any other gay person I know. True, you will need to keep your private life mostly to yourself to play it safe, but you'll eventually make close friends that you can confide in, just like anywhere else. My suggestion is to check out the Mobile area and maybe even Pensacola, but just like everywhere else right now the job market is tough.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM

255 posts, read 845,492 times
Lol, I would've said yes,other than the "southern accents irritate me" ummm someone needs to watch Forrest Gump again. Ha ha ha. And as far as being gay, if you're all flamboyant about it, Id say it may cause problems there. Its been my experience from my travels, that the deep south doesn't take too kindly to openly gay people, unless you're in "Hotlanta". I'm not gay, but I've seen stuff.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Lol, I would've said yes,other than the "southern accents irritate me" ummm someone needs to watch Forrest Gump again. Ha ha ha. And as far as being gay, if you're all flamboyant about it, Id say it may cause problems there. Its been my experience from my travels, that the deep south doesn't take too kindly to openly gay people, unless you're in "Hotlanta". I'm not gay, but I've seen stuff.
I'm not openly gay, except with a few family members and friends. Nobody can even tell that I'm gay unless I actually tell them. I am more similar to a straight guy. I dress, talk and live more like a straight guy.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 AM

20,547 posts, read 6,259,117 times
This doosy is too much for me!
Most local realtors have Southern accents and 220k depend on your job not to mention that your 30 or 90 day approval window not to mention that property taxes are well in AL and 220k will not get much.
You may want to go through your priorities, consider how you will be supporting yourself and how you plan to interact with the rest of the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama