U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2006, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 61,912 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Tuscaloosa at the end of August. Never been there looking for good schools. I have a 9th grader and a 1st grader. Do not not want over crowded class rooms. What is the difference between county schools and city schools? How about the apartment complexes? Is there any public transportation in the town? I use a wheelchair are there sidewalks with ramps.

Right now I live in a small town, Mass, not too many sidewalks with ramps.

PLEASE HELP!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:10 AM

156 posts, read 760,524 times
Post Tuscaloosa help

I'm sure you're aware you're in for a BIG culture shock. We moved here from the Midwest 2 years ago and still have not adjusted (we're looking to move back to the Midwest as soon as my husband finishes the project we came here for). All that aside, here some basic info:

Our kids are in private school due to the generally low test scores in the public schools. Not sure if you're aware that Mass. is in the top 5 for education and AL is in the bottom 5. Verner Elementary is considered to be a good choice for elementary and Northridge High School is considered to be one of the better H.S.'s in town. They are both in the same district. Once your 1st grader reachs middle school you may want to consider a private school for him/her until 9th grade. Tuscaloosa Middle School has a bad reputation (due to drugs & violence I believe). Be aware though that school starts early here - kids went back on August 9th. Here's some phone numbers to get you started:

Tuscaloosa City Board of Education - (205) 759-3700
Tuscaloosa County Board of Education - (205) 758-0411
Verner Elementary - (205) 759-3667
Northridge High School - (205) 759-3590

I can't tell you much about public transportation but here's some contact info:

Tuscaloosa Transit Authority - (205) 556-3876 or www.uatrolley.org

There are plenty of apartments to choose from as this is a college town. You could start with Sealy Management Company as they manage a number of apartments - (205) 391-6000.

Also, look online at www.tuscaloosanews.com

One last contact as a catch all - City of Tuscaloosa City Hall - (205) 349-2010. Ask if they have a relocation package they can send you.

You can PM if you'd like and I'd be happy to try and answer other questions. Good luck with your move!

Last edited by grace1202; 08-11-2006 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-11-2006, 02:48 PM

Default moving to tuscaloosa

Thank you very much for your information. I will look in the schools. You ar right about the schools in Mass. They are wonderful, and the parents are very involved in the schools. Both my children are depressed. Unfortunatly, that is where the job was.

Thank you for the offer of further assistance. What about apartment complexes. We are looking in the zip code area 35406, 04 or maybe 487.

What is the diferrence between county schools and city schools. I called the Brd of Ed. but they could not or would not answer. Im still waiting for 2 call backs Thank you

Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 PM

Post Zip

We live in the 35406 zip and that is where both Verner & Northridge are located.

I'm not in any way associated with Sealy I just know they have alot of properties. I don't know the zips only the schools.

[moderator CUT]
It appears only Eastwood Manor would be a potential match but I've never seen the property.

[CUT]
Arcadia Elementary
Bryant High School

Forest Trails
Vestavia Elementary
Country High

Unfortunately I don't know the difference between city & county schools as our kids have only been in private. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

The nicest apartments in town are Inverness but I believe that is a 35405 zip. Those schools include Taylorville Primary (K & 1st & 2nd) and Englewood (3rd & 4th & 5th) and Hillcrest High School. The Inverness numbers are (205) 366-3637 or 349-5053. My husband's company used to have their company apartment there. Very nice & nice pool area. A lot of Germans live there due to Mercedes being in Vance.

Hopefully that will save you some time. Let me know if I can do any thing else.

Last edited by Marka; 08-12-2006 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 PM

Default moving to tuscaloosa

Thank you for your info. I'll start researching those places tomorrow. Ive been noticing Northport. How is it.

Re the schools, Ive think Ive found out that that city schools are for tuscaloosa city proper; Tuscaloosa County Schools are for the other cities (northport, vance, coaling etc.)
Ive also found out that paratransit transportation is for Tusc. city only. Not for the other cities

Thanks again

Old 08-12-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Northport...

has a very quaint downtown/Main Street area. Our favorite restaurant, The Globe, is there along with lots of antique shops. Northport and Tuscaloosa run together and I think County High School is in Northport. Other than the downtown area there is really nothing that distinguishes N'port from Tuscaloosa.

If you're coming here the end of August you're just in time for the U of A football season. Be prepared for the onslaught of RV's in town for home football games and "Roll Tide" banners everywhere. Alabama football is like a religion here...it's really quite something.

BTW - my husband goes to New Bedford, Mass. on a regular basis. Anywhere near there?

Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Default New Bedford

Thank you for the warning!! Sounds like football there is worse than baseball here. It is analysed to death. The win againts the Yankees is still played sometimes in TV.

Sounds like Im in for a real culture shock. I came up from NYC 2 yrs ago. I was just becoming comfortable.

Im about 45-50 mls further north of n.bedford.

You mentioned that your children attend private schools, Are they extremenly pricey? Hw do they compare to PS

Pls excuse the spll errors Im typing in the dark. I think Ill take a break from my research.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Post Private Schools

There are several PS to choose from:

American Christian Academy
Tuscaloosa Academy
Tuscaloosa Christian School
Holy Spirit Academy

The one my kids attend runs around $950/month for 3 kids. That doesn't include books, fees, etc.

They are ok alternatives. Education on the whole just really isn't up to par here.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,720 times
Question More info on PS

We will also move to Tuscaloosa soon and would like to find out more about the PS. Especially if somebody has comments on Tuscaloosa academy and Holy Spirit.

Thank you

Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 46,565 times
I live in brewton, al and we have a county school (W.S. Neal) and a city school (T.R. Miller). I think the difference is that the city schools are funded by local taxes and the county school is funded by state taxes. T.R. Miller is a better school than W.S. Neal as far as academics go, but, that could just be that particular school and is not that way with all city school's. They are right though about the culture shock. My mom's cousin lives in boston and when he and his wife came down here for the first time they were shocked by how different it was, but, they both love it and he comes and stays during the winter every year. Football is like a religion in alabama and tuscaloosa is more like the vatican when it comes to football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: