Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 AM

64 posts, read 181,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
Phenix City is really growing. The entire Columbus area is growing as well. Phenix City is growing a lot due to Fort Bennings growth and lower taxes than you have across the river in Columbus. You are minutes from Columbus, which is a large city with 200,000 residents. Also, you are close to Auburn. Phenix City's northside has really grown. Anything particular you would like to know?
Growing??..lol
No new business/hospital closed and the new one laid off a third of their staff.
Downtown/Broad Street had more business 20 years ago.
PC is only known for increased crime/poverty and FIREWORKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Still interested in how the town is doing.
anyone remember the 14th street grill and their hotdogs Steamed, split hotdog, lot of onions
I can remember 431 being built. The cotton flying out of the mills as you crossed over into Georgia on the bridge.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
When I was stationed at Fort Rucker, Ala, we made a trip to Phenix City as it had a reputation for being a "hot" city. What a disappointment! It was calm as any city could be. Guess that reputation was earned during WWII and it lingered on/ Be sure to try the famous bar-b-q when you get there.
Oh, yeah... the town has definitely cooled down over the decades... heh.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisenhiemer View Post
Growing??..lol
No new business/hospital closed and the new one laid off a third of their staff.
Downtown/Broad Street had more business 20 years ago.
PC is only known for increased crime/poverty and FIREWORKS!!
Unfortunately this is all true... the way the Cobb Hospital is so run-down (just rode by it last week, really tragic) is a shame. There really is no "downtown" in Phenix City now, to speak of. Everything as far as night life is across the bridge in Columbus now.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Still interested in how the town is doing.
anyone remember the 14th street grill and their hotdogs Steamed, split hotdog, lot of onions
I can remember 431 being built. The cotton flying out of the mills as you crossed over into Georgia on the bridge.
As far as I know, the 14th Street Grill is still "thriving" (or at least still in business) as is the 13th Street BBQ around the corner.

The 14th Street Bridge is a pedestrian bridge now, as the 13th Street Bridge handles that crossover. The mill is long gone, now replaced by the Total Systems campus.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM

80 posts, read 266,718 times
This site is full of rednecks who never heard of a period or the end of a sentence and think the height of dining and shopping is the Krystal and Walmart. Jam 5. Get a life. Phenix City like anywhere else has its drawbacks. But Phenix had had an Applebee's for 10 years. Its northern area has reasonable home prices for nice homes, a good municipal golf course, 5-10 minutes from Columbus. And yes, Virginia, the gangsters were thrown out about the time of the Korean War. Around 1953. I'm 61 so I was about 5 years old then. DUH?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
As far as I know, the 14th Street Grill is still "thriving" (or at least still in business) as is the 13th Street BBQ around the corner.

The 14th Street Bridge is a pedestrian bridge now, as the 13th Street Bridge handles that crossover. The mill is long gone, now replaced by the Total Systems campus.

Yes I am amazed by the new developments. One of the favorite places to go when company was in town was Pricetts fish camp. (I may have spelled that wrong) You had that room were you ate with your company and buzzed in your order. Catfish, hushpuppies and raw onion. Sweet tea, that is living!
I graduated from Central but I haven't lived there in 30 years. Took my drivers test down in the basement of the courthouse. The big deal was to go out to the Columbus Mall, so new and shiny then.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Phenix City's sordid past is kept lively due largely to the story telling cab drivers.
live for today Smokey Pig is still at corner of Crawford rd and Old Opelika RD. BBQ still great. about 20 other BBQ places around Columbus and Phenix City. Most good or great! Yall, It's about the smokey flavor. No boiled meat here. Columbus' Smokey Pig is just as great and less than 2 miles from my house.
Alas, Pritchett's (all 3 plus the fish camp on Whitesville Rd) are long gone. I believe Will Dockery can fill you in on Playgrounds, the nightlife tabloid. Most of the places are in Uptown Columbus and for the under 30 crowd. old Central High is now a civic activities building and new Central is on top of a hill.
Come back sometime. Bring friends., And tell anyone who doesnt like great BBQ and sweet tea, Its a Southern Thing..they wouldnt understand. Regards, hoochbear

Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Want to say something negative about Phenix City?
Well, first, their Little League Team Won it all in 1999.
Now OK, something negative. East Al Cable TV has a monopoly on their cable tv.
Anyone moving here, get satellite. nuf said?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetledrivers View Post
Don't do it!!! There is nothing there but a Wal Mart Super center and a bunch of slow talking rednecks
We have quite a few fast-speaking military families moving in, also... heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama