Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 09:22 AM

518 posts, read 868,570 times

Advertisements

Can someone give info on Dothan for a retiree. I see some nice houses around there for sale and was wondering about the city as far as cleanliness, infrastructure of the city, thing to do, politics, race relations, what to watch out for, shopping (Sam's club a big plus) looks like they have all the stores you'd need. The good and the bad. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 11:24 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
As far as cleanliness, infrastructure, things to do, etc. - a lot of that will depend on what you're used to as everyone has different standards based on their own experience.

Dothan is a bit of a regional hub, but it doesn't have direct interstate access.

It does have some very nice neighborhoods, particularly on the west side. It has a Publix grocery store and all the major big box stores, including Sam's as you said.

The downtown area is nice and generally safe.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:23 AM

141 posts, read 178,275 times
Tons of food and shopping options here, mostly chains though. People are generally pretty cool. They may not say hello, but they aren't openly mean either. Driving here is a pain as far too many people just don't follow traffic laws or don't know them at all. Litter is a problem in many areas except the NW section of the ”city”. Population grows to about 130,000 or so daily as people commute in for work, shopping, appointments, etc. due the town being a regional hub of sorts. Change is slow here and tends to be resisted (loss of I-10 Connector) but there is some steady slow growth going on. You could do worse, but you could also do better. Come spend a week and see it for yourself. I've been here a little more than nine years, so I guess I've seen all it has to offer, good and bad.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
Tons of food and shopping options here, mostly chains though. People are generally pretty cool. They may not say hello, but they aren't openly mean either. Driving here is a pain as far too many people just don't follow traffic laws or don't know them at all. Litter is a problem in many areas except the NW section of the ”city”. Population grows to about 130,000 or so daily as people commute in for work, shopping, appointments, etc. due the town being a regional hub of sorts. Change is slow here and tends to be resisted (loss of I-10 Connector) but there is some steady slow growth going on. You could do worse, but you could also do better. Come spend a week and see it for yourself. I've been here a little more than nine years, so I guess I've seen all it has to offer, good and bad.
What town would be a better choice. I see Dothon is in 3 counties is one any better than the other. I noticed property taxes are pretty cheap but the trade off is sales taxes 9-12%. This litter your refering to is like junk cars all over and such.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:16 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
What town would be a better choice.
It depends on what kind of place you're looking for.

What initially made you look into Dothan?

Old 03-09-2023, 10:46 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

If you're looking at Dothan you should also consider the fast-growing Auburn/Phenix City/Opelika area.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:37 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
If you're wanting to find a good retirement area, Auburn/Opelika would probably be a better choice than Dothan.

Auburn University brings in big university athletics and culture. And Lake Martin to the north is one of the premier residential lakes in the southeast. You also have the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail courses if you're a golfer.

And if you're into big cities, Atlanta is 100 miles. You can get anywhere in the world from Hartsfield-Jackson Airport--90 minutes away by interstate highways.

I graduated from university in another state. But I very much respect the students and alumni of Auburn University as they're rabid fans of The Tigers.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:23 AM

141 posts, read 178,275 times
Geneva County is more rural and substantially smaller, but much prettier and an easy commute to Dothan. Not so much cars but just huge amounts of roadside litter. People have started putting up signs here and there with sayings such as "Nice People Don't Litter" and "Only Trash Litters!". It's really become a problem. If my MIL weren't in her late 70's and living here I would have relocated the family to Northern AL or the Aub/ Opelika area a number of years ago. Just much nicer areas in a general sense.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

I inquired about Dothan for the everyday living ammenities, nice housing on the outskirts. Far enough away from major cane impact. size of the town ect. Other than that I know nothing about Dothan. I was looking for feedback on this forum to see if its worth a scouting trip. My initial looking started in S. Florida. But from the forum talks I think Florida might be a bad choice because of gridlock and esculating expenses. So far I've spent a little time around Fairhope,Daphne, Gulf shores area. I don't golf and had my fill of fishing.Just looking for a good sized vibrant downtown with enough things to do in the area.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:16 AM

Wow 3 hits on Auburn area. gonna have to check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama