Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,864 times

Advertisements

Wondering your opinion on whether or not people would enjoy Italian Ice here? I'm from NJ and grew up enjoying all types of Italian ice. Thinking of starting a little business selling it at sporting events, fairs, etc. but not sure if it would go over well here? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Might do well around Gulf Shores/Foley area especially during the summer. It is pretty slow though in the winter.

Fairhope has a lot of neat little shops in town that seem to do well even in winter.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
We used to own a miniature golf couse with an ice cream parlor. We put in a used Italian ice machine because my husband had tried it in Atlanta, liked it and thought it would go well in North Alabama.

We gave away free samples, and people did like it. But they just didn't know enough about it. The company selling us product didn't have any posters or artwork they would give OR sell us.

Maybe if there was a chain like Baskin-Robbins that did a big national ad campaign....but we didn't have the money for that. After 3 years, we sold the machine and were glad not to have to clean it out every night!

The competition is not only ice cream, but the sno-ball (AKA shaved ice) places that are very popular around here. I know - they're just glorified sno-cones. But everybody knows what they are.

Good luck to you! It should go well here, with as hot and humid as it is with the long number of hot days. But be prepared to educate your customers!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I know a few people that buy the Luigi's kind from the grocery store.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM

143 posts, read 282,659 times
How about gelato as well? Love it. It's hard to find different types of cuisine down here. People in Alabama are generally skeptical of new things, especially if it has anything close to a foreign sounding name. Maybe you could change the Italian Ice name to something people could relate to down here like pickup trucks, country music, fried food, fooball, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
It will do well it sales out at the University of South Alabama football games !!!! Also during the summer when they have family day at the park(Bienviell park) they usually have differnt vindors and from what I saw the Italian ice vendor did pretty well.....So yes it would do good in both Eastern Shore and Mobile.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
How about gelato as well? Love it. It's hard to find different types of cuisine down here. People in Alabama are generally skeptical of new things, especially if it has anything close to a foreign sounding name. Maybe you could change the Italian Ice name to something people could relate to down here like pickup trucks, country music, fried food, fooball, etc.

LOL......I like gelato as well man they sale it at Serdas cafe downtown on Royal Street mmmmmm.Im heading there now.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhall View Post
It's hard to find different types of cuisine down here. People in Alabama are generally skeptical of new things, especially if it has anything close to a foreign sounding name. Maybe you could change the Italian Ice name to something people could relate to down here like pickup trucks, country music, fried food, fooball, etc.
I think you're exaggerating a bit.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I think Seaside/Sea Grove Beach in the Florida Panhandle would be the ideal place for that kind of business. From late May through Labor Day you have legions of well-heeled people with money to burn. So basically you would work six months a year working like a dog and spend the other six fishing.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 PM

143 posts, read 282,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think you're exaggerating a bit.
You are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama