U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,820 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I just got married a year ago, we currently live in California but we would like to move somewhere more relaxed I could say. We are considering the state of Alabama. We are in our early 30's and will start to plan a family. We like where people are nice and there is a lot of nature. Our budget to buy a home is 250k-300. I want somewhere with good schools and basically a peacefull town/city. I would like to get a horse so somewhere you can buy a nice modern home with a nice big backyard maybe 1/2 an acre at least and 1 acre max.
I am in the financial industry so I would look for a job at a credit union and he will bring his electronics business over there.

Now you guys know a little bit about us and what is on our wish list. Can you please suggest places that might fit these. Thank you so much.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM

4,740 posts, read 9,654,076 times
A half acre to an acre lot with house and stable is not enough open land for a horse to pasture and exercise. It can be done with harvested forage and lots of exercise, but two acres of open pasture (not including buildings) is recommended. Note that you can get a couple of acres plus a house within your budget in Alabama.

However, you have conflicting desirements: land versus schools. Many rural / exurban school systems are not as 'good' as the urban / suburban school systems. Arab Alabama is an exception - it's Racking Horse (derived from the Tennessee Walking Horse) country with good schools and located fairly close to Huntsville (which has RFCU and several smaller credit unions). Depending on what you mean by 'electronics business' (retail? R&D? manufacturing? tinning?) it could be a good fit for your husband.

Relaxed, nice, nature, peaceful? Absolutely.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:00 PM

208 posts, read 366,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
A half acre to an acre lot with house and stable is not enough open land for a horse to pasture and exercise. It can be done with harvested forage and lots of exercise, but two acres of open pasture (not including buildings) is recommended. Note that you can get a couple of acres plus a house within your budget in Alabama.

However, you have conflicting desirements: land versus schools. Many rural / exurban school systems are not as 'good' as the urban / suburban school systems. Arab Alabama is an exception - it's Racking Horse (derived from the Tennessee Walking Horse) country with good schools and located fairly close to Huntsville (which has RFCU and several smaller credit unions). Depending on what you mean by 'electronics business' (retail? R&D? manufacturing? tinning?) it could be a good fit for your husband.

Relaxed, nice, nature, peaceful? Absolutely.
Been a resident of Alabama for about 4 years (Birmingham). I've never been to Huntsville but have read and heard great things about it. It makes a lot of those "top 10" lists as an affordable and good place to live. It is probably the most economically healthy and dynamic city in the state. I think living near there (with the ability to commute to jobs there) would be something seriously to consider.

I can tell you that your budget will buy you so much more in Alabama than you could ever dream of having in California or other expensive places. I moved here from the Washington, D.C. area, and was amazed at how much housing I could get here for my money.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM

18,383 posts, read 37,934,264 times
But having a big house is not everything, anyone who moves to Alabama has to accept the fact that this is a conservative (red) Southern state. You don't need to be religious to live here (I'm not), but if seeing a church every few miles gets on your nerves you won't like it here for long.

I've seen many people on these forums say they moved somewhere because of the cheap cost of living, only to complain about everything (lack of services, accents, too slow, too religious) once they got there.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Thank you for the great information. please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean (Tennessee Walking horse??

thanks

Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 AM

18,383 posts, read 37,934,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtecuatl View Post
Thank you for the great information. please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean (Tennessee Walking horse??

thanks
Tennessee Walkers are popular across the South, they kinda trot along.
Tennessee Walking Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this one "walks" a little more than most ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kokt...eature=related

Old 10-25-2010, 12:14 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,654,076 times
Tennessee Walking Horses are known for their comfortable ride and their "Running Walk" gait. Walking Horse country is centered around Shelbyville TN (about an hour north of HSV); the Racking Horse Association is in Decatur AL (30 mins west of HSV).

Tennessee Walking Horse

Be sure to note southernnaturelover's comment. IIRC we are 49th in taxes (or 2nd as I prefer to think about it - we're trying for #1). Search for 'zenjenn' to see comments from a Californian who moved to Huntsville (and loves it).

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24860758

Keep in mind there are other areas of the State that may meet your requirements - maybe someone will offer up more suggestions...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
lack of services, accents, too slow, too religious
Yeah, but anyone who complains (in seriousness, not sarcasm or light-hearted jest) about is just a close-minded dick. The others are about preferences.
I am curious what the electronic business is. Does it require employees or a local customer base? In which case, choose carefully.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,242,687 times
It really depends on what you like to do for entertainment. S. AL is close to the gulf and Mobile Bay if you like the water. If you like mountains (hills really) then N. AL would be more to your liking. There are also several large lakes nearby. It is colder in N. AL too. It is hot during the summer too.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Its a computer fixing business but over the years he has added many things. He also now sells cell phone/ipod/iphone accessories,fixes them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama