Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 27,975 times

Advertisements

Thank you so very much for your response. What do you think of the Bluffs? It was so nice of you to provide that information for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Check out Capstone Condominiums, 708 11th Street, right behind Trinity Methodist Church on Bryant. They're gated, safe, 1/2 block from campus (no need for a parking permit) and usually have vacancies. Check with H.A.Edwards for leasing information. We own one and our daughter has lived there since moving out of the dorm after her freshman year. We're very happy with the location and the safety. I'd say we could discuss ours, but have people lined up for it for the next few years. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
I will only address the University Village Apts. My daughter lived there for a couple of years. I was very happy about the complex and security However I will warn anyone considering University Village. Read your lease agreement very closely they like to add in a number of fees that will add up in the end. When my daughter moved out they did not refund all of my security deposit and when I called to question the short payment they told me that they had made a mistake and would refund the remaining balance. I have waited several months for the check and still have not recieved it. I called and they told me that the check was "in the mail" I ask about the amount and they shorted me again. Just found another mistake. I will not get all of the money back and will have to take what I can get at this point. They will nickel and dine you to death and wait until you call several times to finally issue a check.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Breeze View Post
Check out Capstone Condominiums, 708 11th Street, right behind Trinity Methodist Church on Bryant. They're gated, safe, 1/2 block from campus (no need for a parking permit) and usually have vacancies. Check with H.A.Edwards for leasing information. We own one and our daughter has lived there since moving out of the dorm after her freshman year. We're very happy with the location and the safety. I'd say we could discuss ours, but have people lined up for it for the next few years. Good luck!
Thank you for this response. I saw those and did like them.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcgio1218 View Post
I will only address the University Village Apts. My daughter lived there for a couple of years. I was very happy about the complex and security However I will warn anyone considering University Village. Read your lease agreement very closely they like to add in a number of fees that will add up in the end. When my daughter moved out they did not refund all of my security deposit and when I called to question the short payment they told me that they had made a mistake and would refund the remaining balance. I have waited several months for the check and still have not recieved it. I called and they told me that the check was "in the mail" I ask about the amount and they shorted me again. Just found another mistake. I will not get all of the money back and will have to take what I can get at this point. They will nickel and dine you to death and wait until you call several times to finally issue a check.
Yes I have noticed that some of these places will try to squeeze every bit of the deposit out of you! But I am glad to hear that these apartments are safe. Thanks you for replying. Do you or anyone else know of places that I should definitely avoid? What about Bryant Street? Thanks in advance for any responses. I so appreciate the responses that I am getting

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM

964 posts, read 3,152,859 times
I don't particularly know Tuscaloosa well enough to suggest what apartments to avoid, but I do highly suggest you avoid any "student style" apartments. Generally, these are the ones that have the most problems in college towns and college areas. i used to live in some and it was problem after problem.

Problems can range from poor customer service to leasing problems up to safety.

My advice to you is learn as much as you can about an apartment complex as you possibly could. Ask the landlord to show you one just so you can see what they look like.

And another piece of advice that people probably covered already, but know the area the apartments are located in. Contact the local PD if you have to and ask them for advice and suggested areas to avoid. I made a mistake of moving to an apartments that were nice, but in a shady area and I ended up losing several valuable items from a break in.

Good luck and hope it works well for you.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 AM

Yes this is so true about student style apartments. Thank you for the tip.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,524 times
Hi everyone,

So sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in a very similar situation. I am most likely moving to Tuscaloosa (just waiting for paperwork) to start a post doctoral stint at UA. I am an East Indian moving from Toronto, Canada who has never lived in the south (except for 6 months in Boca Raton, FL), and so I would appreciate some sound advice on where to live in Tuscaloosa.

Ideally I would like to live in safe neighbourhood (duh!) that is close to campus. I have been looking at the suggestions from some of the posters in this thread and they seem nice. From the brief research I have done it seems like there is a lot of property crime (theft, break ins etc). Hence at this point I seem to be leaning towards a gated community. I am moving in by myself and hence would be happy with a 1 bedroom apartment. My contract is only for a 1.5 years at this point.

So, questions I have are:

1) What would be the best apartments in terms of safety and proximity to the university?
2) Does one need a car to get around in Tuscaloosa?
3) Other gems of advice?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue to research the area, but for now, I'll stop here.

I eagerly look forward to your responses!!

Cheers,
bopat

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 PM

309 posts, read 714,770 times
You definitely need a car to get around Tuscaloosa. If you live near campus you can make do going from where you live to campus and back, but you will need a car if you ever want to get to points off campus like the mall or stores like Target or Walmart. The nearest Indian grocery is in Birmingham!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,524 times
Thanks Ttownfeen!

I guess this means I'll soon be looking for a car! Once I've figured out housing I suppose!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: