Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times

Advertisements

Yup, with an earthquake, you bracket your shelves to the walls, keep a supply of food and water, and after that its pretty much in the hands of big G whether you're going to get hit by a big one and whether you're going to be in the wrong place when it happens. There's not much sense in worrying after that. My husband was on a 6th floor dorm highrise on a loft bed when Northridge hit and it wasn't pretty.

My husband actually thinks tornados are a bigger pain BECAUSE you have to respond to and deal with warnings, instead of just kicking back and not worrying about it.

However, I find tornados less scarey because not only do you get a warning, but if a nasty tornado hits, it's not going to level the entire town. It's going to hit here and there but you'll still have neighbors and friends who got missed that can help you. Hurricanes can level the entire town, but at least you have like days to evacuate if it looks that bad. Wildfires? You can evacuate. Earthquakes and tsunamis are the worst I think, because IF a big enough one hits, there's no getting away from it, and you're going to be pretty much on your own when it does. (I guess there's some warning with tsunamis but there's still a big element of unknown there.)

So yeah, I'll pick tornados no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I'm blown away (no pun intended) by all the questions on this forum regarding tornados. It never occurred to me that our weather or potential for natural disaster was any scarier than any other part of the country.
Well, the Weather Channel is to blame... Everything is their fault.

And in addition, the Tornado Project ( pretty impressive site The Tornado Project Online! ) has varying grades per state, with the disclaimer that everyone has a different measure of "THE WORST" - so they've collected them all for display.
While Florida has more storms (heck, have had them right here), Alabama has the proud distinction of having some of the deadliest twisters. Not so many little wind spits. According to some. And by viewing past path projections (gotta Google a bit), you can see that you've had quite a few around there, even if the spacing is generous.

Speaking as a reluctant South Floridian (hopefully that will be changing soon to wanna-be Huntsvillian) I can say anybody who ignores hurricane danger is being foolhardy. Don't spend every day of your life freaking out about it, because you'll die young from something else, but have a plan in mind, just in case. The same would apply to tornadoes - better to be prepared and never have to make use of it.

Calming much from my initial ACK - TWISTERS' A COMIN'! paranoia a year ago...

I told husband my condition; upon obtaining residence, we'd be putting in a storm shelter or building a root cellar (had one of those when I was a kid up north)...prolly a shelter though, because that has a positive, if small, effect on home owners insurance rates.

Last edited by 33458; 07-17-2007 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Weird, not finding the rating 'breakdown' (frequency, most damage, most deaths, etc.) by state - maybe it was another site.

Here's another look-see:
Alabama Tornado Graphics (http://www.srh.weather.gov/bmx/aware/swaw/tor_graphics.html - broken link)

Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM

The Tornado Project Online!

I found it - go to TOP TEN LISTS - and click on the statistics page.
Alabama ranks fourth and fifth.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Just don't live close to a mobile home.. they seem to attract tornadoes.
The tornados here are no worse than the ones like they had in central FL this past year. We had tornados in Tampa over the years I lived there but the warning system was not nearly as good as it is here. They stay on the TV the whole time if there is even a hint of a threat. There are sirens and nearly everyone has a weather radio to alert them if there is a tornado in their area. You might find a house with a basement and some older homes have shelters already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama