Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 PM

60 posts, read 127,724 times

Advertisements

If I could find a city/town that has a reasonable cost of living but it is situated with easy access to areas where residents have disposable income and a lifestyle where a personal chef could be useful, that would be ideal...

Are there any areas you can recommend that are affordable ($500-$700/month rent) but not public housing/low income type areas? My fiance are young and looking to get established - he is a highschool math teacher and I am a personal chef. So I would love to be somewhere that is affordable for us to live yet where I can reach my target market that has disposable income to afford and/or would need personal chef services. It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others. Those are my priorities - but other things I would like to see in my new city are:

easy access to freeways, or enough stores in walking distance
reliable public transportation
not too much wildlife in close reach (snakes, spiders)
decent amount of culture/city activites (ethnic festivals, museums)
nice mix of 'eclectic' restaurants, boutiques (not just standard chains)
locals that aren't too snobb, but rather warm and welcoming (more of a small town feel)
centrally located to smaller towns/suburbs
nightlife is not important
climate/seasons that do not have extreme weather conditions, including uncomfortable southern humidity, dessert like heat, some snow is ok

I know I listed alot, even if you could help me with one or two of my concerns that would be amazing... I'm in Michigan right now, and anywhere is better than here lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM

213 posts, read 404,168 times
If you're looking for a place that doesn't have "uncomfortable southern humidity", then why are you posting on the Alabama forum?

It's not going to be easy to find a place that meets all those requirements. You are going to have to narrow it down to what is really MOST important to you, and what is practically achievable.

But I wish you well in your search.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 PM

81 posts, read 106,858 times
Wow . . . . you want a job that caters to your every desire . . . . . yea . . .come one down, for a reality check.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
If I could find a city/town that has a reasonable cost of living but it is situated with easy access to areas where residents have disposable income and a lifestyle where a personal chef could be useful, that would be ideal...

Are there any areas you can recommend that are affordable ($500-$700/month rent) but not public housing/low income type areas? My fiance are young and looking to get established - he is a highschool math teacher and I am a personal chef. So I would love to be somewhere that is affordable for us to live yet where I can reach my target market that has disposable income to afford and/or would need personal chef services. It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others. Those are my priorities - but other things I would like to see in my new city are:

easy access to freeways, or enough stores in walking distance
reliable public transportation
not too much wildlife in close reach (snakes, spiders)
decent amount of culture/city activites (ethnic festivals, museums)
nice mix of 'eclectic' restaurants, boutiques (not just standard chains)
locals that aren't too snobb, but rather warm and welcoming (more of a small town feel)
centrally located to smaller towns/suburbs
nightlife is not important
climate/seasons that do not have extreme weather conditions, including uncomfortable southern humidity, dessert like heat, some snow is ok

I know I listed alot, even if you could help me with one or two of my concerns that would be amazing... I'm in Michigan right now, and anywhere is better than here lol

You need to seriously NARROW your search. Looking at 11 other states will not get you the info you need. EVERY state has something that will be appealing--economically as well as domestic aspects.
Once YOU decide what your priorities are, you can then look at 2 maybe three states before focusing on ONE place then seek employment based on your criteria. What happens if you and your significant other are offered employment in 3 or 4 states? How then do you decide where to go? Will you base the decision simply on MONEY? Then consider the states with stronger economies. Weather? No humidity? Then NC and SC and parts of GA should be eliminated from the list now. A little snow is ok? Why look at Hawaii?
Focus the needs and narrow the wants and your list will then have the state or two you need to investigate.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I am sorry but that takes every place I lived in after 16 trans-US moves out of the equation.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM

60 posts, read 127,724 times
Ok, I was posting here truly looking for help - no need to be snippy. Each city I am looking in or posted in has a few things I was looking for but these are my priorities as highlighted above:

Affordable living in the $500-$700 but not low income/public housing type are.
It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others.

The rest is really negotiable and not as much of a priority - constructive feedback and help is really appreciated as I am starting my search from the ground up.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 AM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadytoMove2? View Post
Ok, I was posting here truly looking for help - no need to be snippy. Each city I am looking in or posted in has a few things I was looking for but these are my priorities as highlighted above:

Affordable living in the $500-$700 but not low income/public housing type are.
It would be nice if I could find somewhere that has consistent growth, but not so oversaturated that my small business will fail or get lost among others.

The rest is really negotiable and not as much of a priority - constructive feedback and help is really appreciated as I am starting my search from the ground up.
Noone has been snippy. Living 500-700 but not low income type housing, public transportation, consistent growth but not oversaturated, small business will not fail - that takes The South and every metro market out of the equation. A bit convaluted but a lot of information U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) - bea.gov Home Page

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
A small town does NOT equal public transportation. It's too expensive to run a system for a small number of people. Plus, very few cities in the South have public transportation. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 PM

81 posts, read 106,858 times
Okay, I cop to being a little "snippy" . . .sorry about that. But really, your desires ruled out virtually every city on the planet. If I'm wrong and you find such a place please let me know, cuz I'm headed there!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 15,844 times
Perhaps Irondale, AL, in Birmingham is close to what you are looking for. Affordable, relatively low crime compared to other parts of Birmingham in the near vicinity, and it sits right next to Mountain Brook, which is the best place for a personal chef to look in Alabama for people with disposable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama