Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times

Advertisements

Pippup - "The toy poodle is still a baby" - don't take puppies to a dog park, for that matter, many parks used for doggie business have signs warning not to bring pups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM

17 posts, read 89,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Pippup - "The toy poodle is still a baby" - don't take puppies to a dog park, for that matter, many parks used for doggie business have signs warning not to bring pups.
One definitely needs to wait until all puppy vaccinations are completed. The parks in my area have a rule barring dogs under 4 months old.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 10,180 times
He is 6 months old which is still a baby to me . I belong to a poodle related forum so I know a little bit about dog parks (as far as age and vaccinations). But since this is the first dog park in our area I was just wondering what people with 2 different size dogs do. The main reason I wanted to go was to socialize the younger one (with other dogs). But after doing some research I am a bit wary now. I am a responsible pet owner that is why I am asking around and reading up before subjecting my dogs to anything. And after reading about the health concerns and the possibility of my dogs being harmed I have come to the conclusion that the risks are just too high. I thank all of you for your input; you have been very helpful.

Last edited by Pippup; 02-01-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,108 times
You might be doing the best thing. I have now started taking them both to the large area, but my little one is 15 pounds and quite social and capable of defending hisself if need be. Maybe you can try it some day and hold your little guy. Fights are rare, but anything is possible. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,492 times
Default Experiences at the new Huntsville Dog Park

I am wondering what your experiences have been at the new Huntsville Dog Park?

Ours have been wonderful for the most part. When people read and follow the posted rules things go very smoothly! It is great to see a crowd of well-adjusted dogs interacting as a pack. We have made some great human friends there as well.

I hope people will pay attention to the following rules in particular:
Aggressive dogs do not belong at dog park.
Dogs over age 1 who have not been spayed or neutered do not belong at a dog park.
Dogs are off leash for a reason. Owners who pick up their dogs and hold them high up invite other dogs to jump and their own dogs to become protective; holding the dog is akin to it being leashed in my opinion.
The rule about very young children has its merits; if you break the rule, please educate your child about not running, keeping his or her face away from dogs; moving away slowly when a group of dogs are interacting and playing (nips to little fingers can occur that are not aggressive bites; best to keep hands away); avoid screaming or screeching.

We love the ideas of Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer. His insights on animal behavior have been very valuable to many.

See you at the dog park!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM

17 posts, read 89,994 times
I took my dog to the new park when we were in town over the holidays. Even on Christmas eve there were several people and dogs there. It's a good start for dog parks in the area, but I would love to see some of the nicer amenities, like doggie water fountains and walking paths, installed.
Cesar Milan has a few good points, like not treating dogs like people. I have been disappointed in his show though, as I see him forcing dogs into situations where they become so stressed and confused that they just shut down emotionally. Patricia McConnell is a far better dog behaviorist in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
alabambound - IIRC HSV dog park has plans for water and better hardscaping / landscaping. I was surprised they opened the park without water stations.

Agree about McConnell, she's good

Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,264 times
McConnell is the best. Her and Turid Rugaas.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 15,108 times
I went yesterday, I can see that they are continueing to make improvements (new mulch). I now take my little dog into the big dog area...because I also have a big dog. If you ever see a little white dog with a t-shirt or sweater (keeps her from biting her back) and a black labradoodle, it is probably me...come up and say hi! I would like to see more poopy stations...I have seen some not clean up after the dogs. I try to remember to pick up a couple of bags on the way in to be prepared. It was so crowded yesterday that I had to wait for a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama