Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,981 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I currently live in Scotland with my husband and two wee girls (one of whom is at school). We are looking into moving to Birmingham area for 3 years so my husband can attend Beeson Divinity school in Homewood. I am just trying to gather as much information as possible about the areas (and from my investigations like the sound of Vestavia Hills). The schools are important but my daughter currently attends a school of 110 pupils with only 14 in her class so I think anything in the suburbs of a city is going to be a big change for her. I would want a school that she would not be 'lost' in and where the teachers really care (if they are academically good too then that would be the icing on the cake!). Also, what is public transport like getting from Vestavia Hills to Homewood or could you cycle?? We have travelled the East and West coasts of America but we have never been to the Deep South so would not know what to expect - it would be an adventure I am sure! Any advice, information or just general comments gratefully received! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,261,000 times
Hi. Welcome to the board.

Vestavia and Homewood are indeed right next to one another on the map, but when you take topography into account they are worlds apart. Vestavia sits atop a very large hill while Homewood is down in the valley. And Birmingham's public transport isn't all that great. I'd imagine that bicycling up Shades Mountain at the end of the day would get old very quickly.

I think you are instead better served by living in Homewood itself, particularly in the parts east of Columbiana Road (Known to the locals as Green Springs Highway). It's a lovely suburb, very walkable in most spots, and convenient to shopping and other parts of town. Your husband would be just minutes away from Beeson. The schools are very good, too. There is more economic diversity, which tends to bring the school's down just a notch in terms of overall ratings, but the truth is that the schools remain very good. In fact, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, and Homewood all have excellent reputations. You really cannot go wrong in any of these systems. My kids are in the Mountain Brook system, but I would send my children to any of the three with no hesitation.

Vestavia is nice, but is a little far flung and hilly. Not a good bicycling area if you ask me. Will you be buying a home or renting an apartment?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,981 times
We would be looking to rent a 3 bedroom apartment or house. Do you have any idea what an average price for this would be in the area of Homewood you suggested? We would come home in the summer to Scotland for my husband to do placements here and because we would melt in the heat! it was really when I read the schools individual websites that I liked Vestavia because it seemed to be more 'homely', perhaps a little less rule orientated. We don't have detention in primary schools here or tardy bells and it all seemed a little regimented compared to what my daughter would be used to.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,613,949 times
I agree with cpg's assessments. Vestavia, in general, doesn't seem to be a good biking area. It'd be so much more convenient to live near your work. The public trans really sucks, buses tend to come (unreliably) once every hour.
Homewood isn't more expensive than Vestavia, and may even be cheaper.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish lass View Post
We would be looking to rent a 3 bedroom apartment or house. Do you have any idea what an average price for this would be in the area of Homewood you suggested? We would come home in the summer to Scotland for my husband to do placements here and because we would melt in the heat! it was really when I read the schools individual websites that I liked Vestavia because it seemed to be more 'homely', perhaps a little less rule orientated. We don't have detention in primary schools here or tardy bells and it all seemed a little regimented compared to what my daughter would be used to.
Well, I think both schools systems will be roughly the same in terms of rules, so no true difference.

As far as price is concerned, I really couldn't tell you. There are some apartments on Highway 31 (About a mile from Beeson) that might prove family friendly. At the same time, there are any number of condominiums a little up the mountain on Old Montgomery Highway where you could probably get a rental. Homes are also available to rent right now in the area, due to the real estate market going sour. Your best bet on those would be to either go to al.com (The local newspaper's website, covering Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile. But be VERY specific in terms of your search criteria and double check addresses using Google Maps) or try Craigslist.org.

In fact, I did a quick search on Craigslist and found lots of properties for rent in Homewood. Just remember to rent EAST of Green Springs/Columbiana Road. Also, if you are renting an apartment stay away from Valley Avenue.

birmingham, AL apts/housing for rent classifieds "homewood" - craigslist

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,613,949 times
I actually think the little pocket of ranch-homes around Kent-Hall elementary west of green springs, while not pretty, isn't that bad. But it is isolated, being surrounded by crummy roads. I'm not sure I'd trust a junior high kid to safely cross Green Springs.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I actually think the little pocket of ranch-homes around Kent-Hall elementary west of green springs, while not pretty, isn't that bad. But it is isolated, being surrounded by crummy roads. I'm not sure I'd trust a junior high kid to safely cross Green Springs.
Agreed. I'm also guessing that they'd like to be within convenient walking/biking distance of shopping, nicer dining, parks, the library, etc. etc.

Scottish Lass, while I certainly understand your desire to walk/bike, I think a reliable used car is something to consider. That way, you can get to more of the city and thereby enjoy your experience here even more.

I like Birmingham a lot. An agreeable town with lots of friendly people. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 PM

141 posts, read 402,132 times
Please come take a visit with your family before you make any big decisions. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Scotland, and it is very different to BHM, to say the least. I can't think of any Scot being happy living in BHM. The schools in Alabama rank second lowest in the entire country, beat only by Mississippi. If you do move here, please consider private school.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friggsdottir View Post
Please come take a visit with your family before you make any big decisions. I have spent a considerable amount of time in Scotland, and it is very different to BHM, to say the least. I can't think of any Scot being happy living in BHM. The schools in Alabama rank second lowest in the entire country, beat only by Mississippi. If you do move here, please consider private school.
You lived in Gurley, Alabama, which is a wide spot in the road. So you moved out to the middle of nowhere, didn't like it, and decided the tar the entire state of Alabama with same brush. Meanwhile, the southern rim of Birmingham is a very nice place to live with superior schools and almost every amenity. What's more, the OP is here to pursue a specific opportunity. Come back when you actually have something constructive to say.

While Birmingham is certainly not Scotland, we know several Scots who call Birmingham home now and love it here.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-16-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM

141 posts, read 402,132 times
What on earth makes you think I lived in Gurley? I have never lived there! Drove through it once or twice on my way to Chattanooga, but that's it. I lived in Madison for a while, which boasts the best schools in all of Alabama, but you have to keep in mind that it's the best of the worst in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama