Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 8,778 times

Advertisements

Native New Yorker moving to Enterprise, Alabama in the very near future. I am moving there because I am involved in a relationship and we need to take the long distance out of the equation. I live in NYC. Curious if any other NY-ers or northeasterners have anything to say about relocating to the southeast Alabama. I am motivated to make the move for my relationship and, frankly, to get out of the city.
Have been to Alabama numerous times. Have enjoyed the many day trips I have taken to Mobile, Eufaula, Florala, Geneva and surrounding small towns.

So much of the focus on here seems to be about the northern part of the state, esp. Huntsville.

Any ideas or experiences to share?
Any great points of interest?
Any information is appreciated.

Work in the creative arts would love to continue to see my creativity evolve.
Any info in that regard would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,118 times
Talking Think about it

Listen to the inner self, you do know the answer.
How many times a week you think you will have a dip fried chicken for dinner?
What about a NY steak? But you may enjoy a cat fish nuggets.
Just think about it

Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
You are naturally going to have a culture shock.

What if you left NYC and moved to a remote town in upstate NY in the Adironacks? Like - really removed from any urban living?

This is what you are going to experience. You are moving to Small Town America...not just Small Town Alabama...and frankly I think most small towns have many of the same characteristics - good and bad.

One of your positives in moving to a nice(er) climate...once you get used to a very warm and humid summer. YOu will truly experience four genuine seasons...and will have access within an hour of some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

On the other hand, in ANY small town, there is not going to be much culturally, compared to the supreme NYC....

I guess from reading your post, where you have visited other small Alabama towns and liked it, then you likely are open minded and will give it a go....get ready for a very slow pace of life and friendly people. Put your best foot forward and be friendly. It will be returned in spades.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM

116 posts, read 524,615 times
ankou,

Your stay there will be what you make of it and will be strongly influenced by your attitudes and preconceived notions of life in the Southern US. You mentioned that you have been involved in short trips to various small towns, so you should have some idea how things are.

Culturally, well everyplace has a culture, it just may not be what you are are accustomed to. Contact the Chamber of Commerce, they can help you locate things to do.

I live in the Montgomery area, so I can't much help with points of interest there but have a life long experience with small towns. The people, for the most part, will be friendly and will be interested in where you are from, but not the extent that they want to be told how much better it is there. Accept us for what we are and where we live, and we will do the same for you.

I truly hope that you enjoy your stay down here and can adapt to your new home. I can appreciate the change you are in for. I would have great difficulty living in heavily populated areas like NYC. There are way too many people, too much noise and too much activity. I like the peace and quiet afforded by country living and being able to see the stars (really see the stars, not just the half dozen that are able penetrate the street lights) at night. I like the sound of the whipoorwill in the evening, it is far more pleasing than a diesel truck changing gears. I like knowing I can let my daughters ride their bike, safe in the knowledge that my neighbors are also watching out for their safety, I like people knowing who my great grandfather was and then finding out that he played with someone else's great grandfather-it's like finding an old friend you didn't know you had.

Like I said, it will be up to you what you can make of the surroundings, if you really want to.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 23,902 times
Not to fear! My husband is also from NY, not the city, but near West Point. I am from VA. We settled in Wicksburg, AL about 1/2 way between Enterprise and Dothan ( the closest semi-large city) Dothan has a budding cultural community and theatre. Dothan is only about 20 miles from Enterprise and has all of the chain restaurants, boutiques and stores that you may need.
Hope this eases your fears.

Moderator cut: signature

Last edited by Keeper; 06-26-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 AM

251 posts, read 895,359 times
I grew up in Coffee county near Kinston and my wife grew up in Enterprise. Enterprise is truly a great place and starting to bud like a spring flower. I think you will enjoy your new life. It may take a little while to adjust, but you will love it after you do. I left Coffee county, because of my wifes job. It was hard to do, but we have adjusted to Mobile now. We may move back to Enterprise in the near future. If we do, we will have to readjust to being in a smaller town again. It will be easier for us, since all of our family is in Coffee and Covington county. Do not get me wrong, we LOVE Mobile, but being away from family is hard.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankou View Post
The demand for your skills in NYC is what it is. What will the demand be for those skill in Alabama? Will you find work? Are you moving there without a job?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 AM

25 posts, read 146,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankou View Post
Native New Yorker moving to Enterprise, Alabama in the very near future. I am moving there because I am involved in a relationship and we need to take the long distance out of the equation. I live in NYC. Curious if any other NY-ers or northeasterners have anything to say about relocating to the southeast Alabama. I am motivated to make the move for my relationship and, frankly, to get out of the city.
Have been to Alabama numerous times. Have enjoyed the many day trips I have taken to Mobile, Eufaula, Florala, Geneva and surrounding small towns.

So much of the focus on here seems to be about the northern part of the state, esp. Huntsville.

Any ideas or experiences to share?
Any great points of interest?
Any information is appreciated.

Any info in that regard would be most appreciated.

I think the main issue is the relationship. If it is the love of your life than the move will be worth it.
All else can easily fall into place.
Sounds like you have been to the region enough to see what is going on there? That it is NOT the stereotypical potrayal of southern folks. That there are all kinds in Enterprise. Including many, like myself, who wanted out of big city living.

I made the move with no regret.

I read the Sunday paper every week. There is no shortage of jobs.

Sometimes-- there are things we do for love?

I am not void of the realistic side-- I bet you know the anwers????

Bet you have enough info by now to know what to do?

You posted this some time ago? Have you made the move yet? We'd love to know.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,975 times
Default dependent visa ?

i have f1 visa ( student visa) for university, after 2 month i transfer in community college from university, Can my spouse get the dependent visa ( f2 visa ) ?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,933 times
Default Hello

I may be relocating to Jack, AL which is 15 minutes from Enterprise.
I am originally from MA.. I would love to be able to find some Northeners there. I also married someone recently from AL,, we both live in Crestview, FL now. Please contact me. [EMAIL="Ldestin@cox.net"]Ldestin@cox.net[/EMAIL].
I'm so scared to move, because all my children live here.
Laura my husbands name is Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama