Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 51,699 times

Advertisements

According to the city-data crime stats Albertville has a pretty high crime rate compared to other small towns in Northern Alabama, and checking the online MLS for Albertville shows a lot of "blue collar" type homes for sale at very reasonable prices. Would I be correct in assuming that many Albertville residents are fleeing the crime and moving to safer towns? Am I close or is this a complete miss?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,061,280 times
While I don't live in Albertville I don't think there is a mass exit from Albertville due to crime. There are several things to note..
The stats for Albertville are from 04. I am still looking for updated info for the city. The biggest problem from the stats appears to be theft. As in most cities there are areas that are safer than others.
The price for housing is pretty much the average for this area. I have a friend who lives in Albertville who has had no problems and bought a new home for 100K.
The biggest issue in Albertville is illegals, which is an issue in a lot of places not just Alabama.

You might want to check out this.
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Albertville, AL snapshot

I hope this helps at least a little. Maybe someone from Albertville will have more info for you.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-12-2007 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: added website

Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 42,667 times
Default availability of jobs is also an issue

Howdy!
Another possible reason for people leaving Albertville is the availability of jobs.
Several employers have recently downsized; a chemist friend of mine was laid
off after working for a major chicken processing company for 20 years.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:03 PM

16 posts, read 51,699 times
Thank you. This removed Albertville from my list of possible places to spent my retirement. Grant is still at the top of the list.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 PM

I think Grant is a nice place and smaller than Albertville. Albertville isn't a bad place just a little bigger and busier than where I wanted to spend my retirement. Although they do have some good restaurants in Albertville not to forget a Big K...

Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,265 times
albertville is the place for you if you like uninsured hispanic motorists and the wonderful smell of sewage. i kind of hate being so negative about my hometown, but we have a lot of problems and i don't see them getting fixed anytime soon. the one good thing i can think of is there are a lot of good churches around here.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 23,286 times
Default "meth mountain"

A&e's intervention featured a special on albertville and guntersville area and they said the locals referr to it as meth mountain,because of the out of control meth problem around there. is the problem really that bad? the documentary made it look like meth is just everywhere you go

Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM

Meth is a problem in all of N. AL as it is in many other states with rural communities. It is called 'hillybilly' heroin because it is usually made in rural areas. There are a lot of rural areas where you will see a couple of trailers or run down houses out in the middle of no where, exactly what was shown on TV. Of course, there is an exception to every rule.

I moved to NE AL. 3 years ago and to my knowledge I don't know anyone who uses meth. I am sure if you asked enough ppl could find someone who uses or even sells it but the average person is not a meth head.

I think Guntersville Lake was used as scenery because it is hard to even find a lot on Guntersville Lake that doesn't have a house on it.

There is a discussion on the Huntsville forum you might want to check out that thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM

65 posts, read 458,474 times
Forget about Albertville... They have problems with cleaning up the city - both residential and business. I have settled in Boaz, and it is so nice. We are a dry city, but we have access to all the beverages you need in Guntersville Wal-Mart ( On the border with Albertville. We have our own Wal-Mart, and any type restaurant you want is with a short radius. If you want nothing but peace and quiet, then you deserve Grant. Check us out, but don't tell to many people, as I love my small town. Gee, I forgot to add the problems with the illegal Spanish people. The legal ones deserve to make a living, but the other leeches got to go. Keeper, maybe we should tell them Florida is the land they seek....

Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Hey Notime.. FL is a great place to live.. no drugs there

I agree Albertville does have problems with drugs and illegals. Arab is dry also, so it is down the mountain we go to Guntersville if we want alcohol. Notime we need to meet in Guntersville one day.. Grant.. now that is peace and quiet..ZZZZ

I am glad you are happy in Boaz even if you have to drive to WalMart.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-22-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama