U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 AM

94 posts, read 400,062 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone. I am sincerely looking for a place in AL to blend in easily as I do not see myself and my family fit to a clanish redneck community. We are white but just do not feel comfortable around biased people. I was thinking of Pinson yet another member suggested it is a redneck area and that post led me post this thread.

Family oriented, safe, affordable suburbs are our preference. Can you suggest some areas? I really appreciate it. (want to be close to Birmingham if possible)

Joe

Last edited by josephhawkinson; 09-05-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 09-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,495 posts, read 3,711,440 times
Default Here's an idea

Move to a mostly black area of Birmingham (there are plenty). Then you won't have to worry about mean old, white rednecks. Good grief.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Move to a mostly black area of Birmingham (there are plenty). Then you won't have to worry about mean old, white rednecks. Good grief.
Apparently you missed the point, I do not want to offend anybody but I believe I should be able to choose an area with fewer "clanish" people around. Since when is this bad?, I am a conservative myself but there is still a long way from being conservative to being biased to how much melanin someone's skin has or what part of the country they are from. I hope it is clear by now. I should have used "Less "clanish" areas" as the title but can't change it anymore.

Last edited by josephhawkinson; 09-05-2006 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 AM

116 posts, read 593,127 times
Huntsville is as just described. Not very expensive, highly educated people, traffic is not a big problem. However, it's patently boring with nothing but nothing to do. I lived there for a year. There is nothing to do, seriously. Of course, most of our lives are just work, family, shopping, etc. and it satisfies that as much as any city. It is not a bad place.

If you want less rednecks, move out of the South. I've been to neighborhoods with nice large homes and vehicles and "yahoo, go confederates!" types on 4 wheelers going through the streets. That is Alabama, though. It is not a bad place, but if you want to avoid people who say things like "Clinton ruined this country" and who support gay marriage, this isn't the place to find them. The South, overall, lacks the progressive thinking of the north. For some that is a good thing, for others it is not.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I am aware of the overall tendencies in the south; political ,social etc. I like to converse with different people and can call myself friendly for the most part. I would have no problem respectfully listening to even the most out of whack stuff some bigot can utter however I am somewhat concerned with the not-so-tolerant mindset of the so called "redneck" , in case my children or myself said something of their dislike. As I stated earlier I am a conservative myself and do not support gay marriage etc however I like to think I have the brains to know right from wrong despite my political motivations. Additionally, I would like my children grow in an environment with traditional values, respect to others, friendliness yet without the racial baggage and religous fanaticism that is seen in some southern areas. I hope this is not too much. I have a friend who has been living in a suburb of Chelsea,AL for over 5 years and he said he has not experienced or heard any of what I am concerned with so far. He is the one who made me think of a possible move to AL mostly for economical reasons. My wife and I have been thinking about FL, TX and AL. Central FL was our first choice yet home prices are still up there, AL Real estate on the other hand seems more reasonable and the weather is milder compared to TX and FL. That's where we are now, still thinking.

Last edited by josephhawkinson; 09-05-2006 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-05-2006, 01:32 PM

15 posts, read 69,065 times
You should consider central florida, my wife and I live there now and are moving to guntersville alabama. It is just like living up north here except it doesn't get cold here, there are many east coast people that have moved here. My wife says I am a redneck, I am a full time bass fishing guide so I guess so, I might be a redneck because I am very conservative but I am not a racist. We are going to alabama because I feel more comfortable around the laid back people up there. There are hardly no good old rednecks like my self here anymore so this might be your kind of place because you have a lot of different kinds of people around here. Good luck!!

Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 PM

564 posts, read 2,209,092 times
You'll find stupid people whereever you go, be it "redneck" or not.

I know the redneck problem though, I hate it myself--and I was raised in the South. You'd be best to stick with the towns in the 50,000+ range to avoid that.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM

27 posts, read 119,799 times
Smile Friend in Chelsea

Hi If possible I would love to talk to your friend who lives in Chelsea since that is one of the places we will be looking at when we move next summer

Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 200,553 times
When I read your initial post and saw you wanted to be close to Birmingham Chelsea is what I thought of. I don't know much about it but it seems like a nice little town south of Birmingham. Another nice place is Jacksonville on the east side of the state. It's not quite as boiling hot there as it is on the west side of the state and they have a good school. It's in a very pretty area with lots of Appalachian foothills a small university. I know people who live there and commute to south of Birmingham; it's a long drive but they think it's worth it.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 PM

27 posts, read 119,799 times
Thanks I will look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama